Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2002, 01:44 PM   #21
Mithrandir
Hobbit

Gandalf

I think Tolkien did a great job to included them once and awhile but not go far into detail about them. Tolkien gave the reader just enoguh information about Legolas and Gimli to leave you wondering about them and what sorts of adventures and travels they would take. I especially liked how they each promised each other to travel and see all the great sites one day. Beautiful stuff
Old 01-30-2002, 03:49 PM   #22
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

I think that they had fairly small parts in the books (okay, UNfairly small parts). They were not given enough credit and were just seen as extras, you know to make nine.

In the movie, however, they were largely ignored. I mean what's that all about anyway- Legolas kills the troll and they all focus on Frodo, who wasn't even hurt that badly. I do hope they have that scene in the Two Towers where Gimli and Legolas are playing their little morbid game of "Whack-an-Orc". Speaking of which, wouldn't that be a cool arcade game?

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:25 PM   #23
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Re: Legolas and Gimli did not get a big enough part in the three books do you agree?

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas_BowKing
I dont think that Legolas and Gimli got enough time in the book as perhaps they deserved.
We did not here nearly enough about there growing friendship and there idears on the world. All the stuff that was learnt about them was just a Elf, Dwarf stero type.
So do you think that the true personality of these to wonderful beings was not put across all that well in the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy?
I would be more interested in exactly how they went from antagonists to friends. It's evident that the emnity between the two stems from ages of racial strife, and I think the Professor was trying to make a point here, (that we can all live together in spite of our differences) and could have gone a bit further.

The book says they became inseparable in Lothlorien, which is an unlikely place to me. They fought together in the pitched battle in Moria and I thought that they would have bonded then and there. However upon entering in Lothlorien, it's apparent that they still bear some of the old grudges of their peoples.

I don't think that Gimli and Legolas necessarily deserved more time, because their frienship did not bear the burden of the quest as Sam and Frodo, although I would have liked to have read more about the metamorphosis of their friendship.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 02:45 PM   #24
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Don't you all love Dwarves?
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 11:12 PM   #25
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

You have all came up with some great points.
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 04:20 PM   #26
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
The book says they became inseparable in Lothlorien, which is an unlikely place to me. They fought together in the pitched battle in Moria and I thought that they would have bonded then and there. However upon entering in Lothlorien, it's apparent that they still bear some of the old grudges of their peoples.
I think it had a lot to do with the words exhanged between Gimli, Celeborn and Galadriel. Legolas must have observed the error of Racism.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:54 PM   #27
Araethirion
Hobbit

Location: Mirkwood! Ok, ok... California. What's the difference? Errr... nevermind.
Well, I think Tolkien didn't include thm in as much, and I would have liked them in more. Legolas and Gimli's main role in the book was to really teach a lesson: No matter race, height, history etc., you can associtate and become friends with them, no matter what others say.

FRODO LIVES!!
Araethirion is offline   Reply With Quote