Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2003, 08:10 PM   #1
Pippin's_mushrooms
Sapling

Gimli Why do you think Gimli never calls Legolas by name?

As far as I know Gimli hardly ever, or maybe doesn't, call Legolas by his name. How weird is that? I'd think that becouse they were best freinds they'd call each other by name.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:20 AM   #2
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

Yeah, i don't think he ever calls him by name. He usually refers to him as "laddie", which i find hilarious, since Gimli is so much shorter and younger than Legolas.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:23 AM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I don't remember Gimli ever calling Legolas laddie. I don't even remember short-funny-person calling pretty-golden-boy laddie.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 01:30 AM   #4
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Did you just call Legolas pretty?

Anyway I think he never calls him by name purely for humor. I think it is pretty funny how he only says "the elf," espesially in the beginning of the Fellowship.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:33 AM   #5
Gwaimir Windgem

Yes. Legolas is definitely the "pretty boy" of the Fellowship, hence the fangirl following.

-mutters incomprehensible comments about You Know Who-

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-12-2003, 03:05 AM   #6
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I don't remember Gimli ever calling Legolas laddie
It was in TTT. I think it was after Leggie and Aragorn had the fight that gimli says "Let him go, laddie". or something like that. Gotta go watch it agian (i'll come back to this thread tomorrow to verify where it was, but im pretty sure it was in that scene)
Old 04-12-2003, 08:33 AM   #7
miss_poet
Enting

Gimli The Elf

Yes, Gimlie calls Legolas "The Elf" instead of Legolas. Even in TTT when Aragorn was going to throw him off the bridge to attack he said, "Just don't tell The Elf!" He calls him by that name...actually I don't remember him calling ANYONE by their real names! He calls frodo, sam, merry, and pippin "the hobbits"! Weird...
As I look into the sky and sit and watch the stars I think of you. I wonder if you remember me the way I was or the way I am now. I know I will always keep a place for you in my heart. Even though the shadows fall and the darkness enters you will always be with me. I remember one thing about you. Your eyes. I used to look in them like pools of blue water. I could stare at them forever like the dark blue sky on a cloudy night. As I sit here still watching the stars I think of you, but the one thing I remember is your eyes.
miss_poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 10:19 AM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by TopazJedi
It was in TTT. I think it was after Leggie and Aragorn had the fight that gimli says "Let him go, laddie". or something like that. Gotta go watch it agian (i'll come back to this thread tomorrow to verify where it was, but im pretty sure it was in that scene)
You mean pretty-elf-boy and still-not-king.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-12-2003, 01:42 PM   #9
straight_face
Enting

It's a formal thing to not call someone by their actual name. Gimli calls Legolas, 'Master Elf', also.
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 02:25 PM   #10
Orion
Enting

If you didn´t know that Legolas and Gimli were friends though, you couldn´t guess it from the movie. I personally find "the elf" rather "rude" word to use from someone; if they have names, why not use them? I don´t think that Legolas ever calls Gimli by name either?
Old 04-12-2003, 02:43 PM   #11
straight_face
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Orion
I don´t think that Legolas ever calls Gimli by name either?
Would it seem natural for Tolkien to write this in his books? It seems as if it would seem correct for Legolas to say, "Gimli! Come hither!" or some other phrase using his name, yet Tolkien's writing usually doesn't use this type of "dialogue" one could say.

In other news, I have a very neat-o icon that I am hoping to use, but I'm clueless how to put it up and make straight_face pretty like everybody else.
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'

Last edited by straight_face : 04-12-2003 at 02:48 PM.
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 03:41 PM   #12
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Orion
If you didn´t know that Legolas and Gimli were friends though, you couldn´t guess it from the movie. I personally find "the elf" rather "rude" word to use from someone; if they have names, why not use them? I don´t think that Legolas ever calls Gimli by name either?
I don't think that it's rude. A lot of my friends don't call each other by name. I won't say many here because I don't want to offend people; they're mostly based on nationality. I'm 'that polock' to a lot of my friends. But nobody doesn't like it.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:21 PM   #13
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
I think it's kind of a nickname thing. You know banter. Master elf and Master Dwarf.

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 07:00 PM   #14
miss_poet
Enting

Tom Bombadil Names

My name is Katrina and no one has called me ANYTHING here! No one has called me by any name Weird.....no one uses names anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As I look into the sky and sit and watch the stars I think of you. I wonder if you remember me the way I was or the way I am now. I know I will always keep a place for you in my heart. Even though the shadows fall and the darkness enters you will always be with me. I remember one thing about you. Your eyes. I used to look in them like pools of blue water. I could stare at them forever like the dark blue sky on a cloudy night. As I sit here still watching the stars I think of you, but the one thing I remember is your eyes.
miss_poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 07:11 PM   #15
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Not true! We use them only when necessary or to direct a thought to a specific person Like now you know I'm talking to miss_poet cause you're the last one who posted.

You don't have any nicknames? On Entmoot or at home?

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:38 PM   #16
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I don´t think that Legolas ever calls Gimli by name either?
No, he calls him by name a lot! Remember when they are chasing the Uruk-hai, and Gimli keeps on falling behind, pretty-elf-boy is constantly saying "Come Gimli!". here are the exact lines:

Still-not-king: Their pace quickens. They must have caught our scent. Hurry!
Pretty-elf-boy: Come on Gimli!
Gimli: Three day's and night's pursuit.. no food... no rest... and no sign of our quarry but what bare rock can tell.
[The Three Hunters run across rocks and plains, with Still-not-king in the lead, and Pretty-elf-boy and Gimli trailing behind. Still-not-king suddenly bends down to pick up an Elven brooch from the ground.]
Still-not-king: Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall.
Pretty-elf-boy: They may yet be alive.
Still-not-king: Less than a day ahead of us, come!
Pretty-elf-boy: Come Gimli! We are gaining on them.
Gimli: I'm wasted on cross-country. We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous we are over short distances.

I always thought it was odd that he would say "Come Gimli" two times in the same scene, so it stuck with me. Oh, and i found the place where Gimi calls Pretty-elf-boy "lad"

Pretty-elf-boy: Aragorn, nedin dagor hen ú-'erir otheri. Natha daged dhaer.
[Translation: "They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!"]
Still-not-king: Then I shall die as one of them!
[Still-not-king exits.]
Gimli: [To Pretty-elf-boy]: Let him go, lad. Let him be.

Quote:
He calls frodo, sam, merry, and pippin "the hobbits"! Weird...
What i find even funnier is that that is what the actors called themselves! In this interview, Lij constantly said things like "We hobbits went out for a drink" and "the hobbits and the elf went to Australia to see the set of Star Wars" and stuff like that.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:28 AM   #17
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i think he probably didnt have enoough respect for the elves to call him by their name. Or maybe it wasnt inthe script
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:26 AM   #18
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
No, he calls him by name a lot! Remember when they are chasing the Uruk-hai, and Gimli keeps on falling behind, pretty-elf-boy is constantly saying "Come Gimli!". here are the exact lines:
Yeah, just wanted to mention, that I also remember Legolas calling Gimli by his name. The name sounds in my ear.

Quote:
Yes. Legolas is definitely the "pretty boy" of the Fellowship, hence the fangirl following.
It's a shame I think I creep back to my hollow and dream of Legolas
Old 04-13-2003, 06:48 AM   #19
Orion
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by TopazJedi
No, he calls him by name a lot! Remember when they are chasing the Uruk-hai, and Gimli keeps on falling behind, pretty-elf-boy is constantly saying "Come Gimli!". ...
Thank you, TopazJedi - I have totally missed that scene - might be because I´m always too busy rolling my eyes to the roof and trying to ignore Gimli´s whining - actually it´s not difficult to do that because of the audience´s laughter; you can´t really hear what the characters say.. (ok, I just don´t like that scene. )
Old 04-13-2003, 01:28 PM   #20
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Another reason might be that Gimli has really crummy lines. And either he didn't have a lot of lines, or they had little to no impact, because there didn't seem to be enough time for decent lines.

This isn't to say I didn't like Gimli at all, because I did like him, but he wasn't very much like the book Gimli we all know and love. That's why he might not be addressing Legolas as his friend, and by his name.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote