Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 02:48 PM   #1
midnightflame
Sapling

Strider the relationship between Legolas and Gimli

opinions on what you think the relationship between Legolas and Gimli is. Are the friends or more than friends?
Old 06-25-2002, 02:52 PM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

What could the relationship be except friends?!? They can't be married or something, no?!?
Old 06-25-2002, 05:53 PM   #3
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Strider

That's funny! I think they're just friends. welcome to the Moot MF! You can PM me anytime.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Old 06-25-2002, 06:53 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

<groan> Not this again...

They are NOT gay!
Old 06-25-2002, 06:54 PM   #5
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I can assure you we are just friends

(Another Seattlite, eh? Welcome to the moot, midnightflame! )

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!

Last edited by Eruviel Greenleaf : 06-25-2002 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:00 PM   #6
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
opinions on what you think the relationship between Legolas and Gimli is. Are the friends or more than friends?
Well they are best friends I believe, they have an strange friendship because its very odd for Dwarves and Elves to get on with eachother. Legolas even brought Gimli to Tol Eressea with him.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:02 PM   #7
Eruviel Greenleaf

Any theories on what happened to Gimli when he reached Tol Eressea?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-25-2002, 07:07 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

This is just my opinion - don't kill me just yet - but the reason I think they're so close (apart from Gimli winning the "affections" of Galadriel) was because they were war time buddies.

And I have no theories on what Gimli & Legolamb did once they reached Tol Eressea. Be a bit funny for Gimli, a bit lonesome, I would think.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:15 PM   #9
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Here was silly me thinking a nice, good new topic had been brought to the LotR forum. I mean, it's just a stupid question. Of course they were homosexual life-partners, sheesh.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:51 AM   #10
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

If the conversation we had on the phone last night was any indication then I'd say you already know my opinion on this topic.
They are best friends, nothing more, nothing less. Is it just me or do all the seattlelites on this board know eachother?
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 06-26-2002, 01:14 AM   #11
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran
They are best friends, nothing more, nothing less. Is it just me or do all the seattlelites on this board know eachother?
*wonders if she know midnightflame*

You'd believe Legolas, wouldn't you? We are just friends.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-26-2002, 02:23 PM   #12
midnightflame
Sapling

Strider

yes mr. greenleaf i do know willow oran SHE'S MY COUSIN AND I AM HERS! thankyou for your time
Old 06-26-2002, 02:39 PM   #13
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
Any theories on what happened to Gimli when he reached Tol Eressea?
I bet he got teased by all the other Elves about his scruffy beard.. and also about his height.. or lack thereof. Of course, the Ringbearers would not put up with the latter...

P.S.: Midnight, you might wanna specificy which Greenleaf you're talking about..

Last edited by Mirahzi : 06-26-2002 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:44 PM   #14
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Eruviel is a she, midnightflame. But yes we are cousins. (scary thought no?) Anyhow, we're getting off topic. Leglas and Gimli would likely be nothing more than friends. They would have had a hard enough time getting their friendship accepted by their families and races, can you imagine Thranduil and Gloin's reactions if they found out that their son's were lovers? (Not that they were.) They'd flip! Anyway, I just do not think it feasible for Legolas and Gimli to have anything more then a very close friendship, which is in itself a type of love so if you think about it that way you could say that they loved eachother, and I'll just be quiet now.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 06-26-2002, 02:48 PM   #15
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Besides, if you look at it from the author's point of view (sort of).. homosexuality is not the kind of thing Tolkien would right about.. since he was a pretty "traditional" writer. Besides, LotR might've recieved a bit more controversy if it had implied homosexual, cross-species relations..
Old 06-26-2002, 02:51 PM   #16
midnightflame
Sapling

sorry eruviel you seem to pretend your Legolas (tell me if i'm wrong) thank you for correnting me willow oran and she is right we are cousins who have a frienly relationship because we spend to much time with eachother oh well who cares we actually know what the other's talking about weee more red buttons and pretty blue ones! i think Legolas and Gimli are friends but other people say that they are gay!
Old 06-26-2002, 04:20 PM   #17
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
i think Legolas and Gimli are friends but other people say that they are gay!
Then they must idiots then.

What I don't understand with stupid people is where the logic comes from when two good friends are male, they must be gay. If thats true, then Turin and Beleg, Frodo and Sam, Tuor and Voronwe, Sauron and Melkor must all be gay.

Ok then.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:46 PM   #18
Jador
Elven Warrior

Do they allow homosexuals in Tol Eressea?
Answering that may answer the question.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:24 PM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

There is no mention of homosexuality in Tolkien's works. So no, that doesn't answer the question. I guess we'll have to think they're homosexual now.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:18 PM   #20
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
I guess we'll have to think they're homosexual now.
Well, I guess Legolas would be more attractive than dwarf women.

Seriously, I think they were just good friends. There weren't many women to hang around with during the war, so they hung around with each other. On that argument, you could say the whole fellowship was gay, since they went on a long journey without women and became close friends. On the other hand, I think Gimli and Legolas would be very gay when the war was over.