Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2002, 01:59 AM   #1
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

Legolas and Gimli did not get a big enough part in the three books do you agree?

I dont think that Legolas and Gimli got enough time in the book as perhaps they deserved.
We did not here nearly enough about there growing friendship and there idears on the world. All the stuff that was learnt about them was just a Elf, Dwarf stero type.
So do you think that the true personality of these to wonderful beings was not put across all that well in the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy?
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 02:41 AM   #2
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Well, in fact you're right, fellow from Mirkwood. But, I liked Legolas most just because he's so secretive and so little there is written about him.
BTW, Legolas seems to be very popular. I think there are about 4 Legolases on the boards.
Old 01-27-2002, 03:37 AM   #3
Mirkgirl
Sapling

Actualy Legolas has always recieved enough attention from the readers.

But poor Gimli!
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 06:31 AM   #4
Radagast
Elven Warrior

I think dwarves should have gotten a larger part generally.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.

Last edited by Radagast : 08-05-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 09:13 AM   #5
sbpollo1
Sapling

It is strange to me that as I read the books when I was younger, Legolas and Gimli seemed to have a much larger role than when I read again and again. Odd how your mind's vision changes with time.
sbpollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:16 AM   #6
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Dwarves are always shafted. Tolkien doesn't give them enough space. And he never tells us what happens to them either.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:21 AM   #7
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

And look at the corpus for the dwarven language as compared to the corpus of Quenya. We know about 13 impractical words in Khuzdul and 1000 or more (including suffixes and plurals and such) in Quenya.

I really wish the dwarves would have more history and background.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 12:05 PM   #8
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Well, the lack of dwarvish language in the books is due to the fact that dwarves taught their language to just about nobody!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 02:44 PM   #9
mrs legolas
Sapling

poor Legolas

I think that Legolas and Gimli had enough parts in the books...though I am only starting the 2nd...so I'll let you know what I think when I'm done...but so far they do have more parts than they do in the movie...poor Legolas hardly got any lines in the movie....
Old 01-27-2002, 03:20 PM   #10
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Exactly, I wish he would have given them there own language not just a "secret" language that they only used in places not described by the book.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
Old 01-27-2002, 03:44 PM   #11
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I never felt Gimli and Legolas got snubbed. I think we got enough of them alright and I certainly don't think we only got 'stereotypes'. There's two kind of Gimli/Legolas stereotypes I know of: the first is the one they had for eachother as characters, which was put away with altogether in Lothlórien. The second is the Dwarf/Elf stereotype other people outside the story give them, including Peter Jackson.
Old 01-27-2002, 05:36 PM   #12
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

Nazgul

Remember that there was no Dwarf/Elf stereotype until The Lord of the Rings.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:44 PM   #13
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Begone, Foul dwimmerlaik, ere I smite you!

Or something...

Actually, tolkien did use a large amount of background information from other sources. Thus his dwarves are smiths, and his elves are fair and powerful. His world is certainly quite similar in many respects to various legends, and the current stereotype didn't arise for what, forty years after the publishing of LOTR?
Old 01-27-2002, 05:59 PM   #14
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I think they get enough of a part. To me, their friendship was always very powerful and an important part of the book, and that's shown really well.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 06:12 PM   #15
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

I think Legolas and Gimli got a big enough part. I would like to have more information about the dwarves. Why do you suppose Tolkien didn't give them a very big part as compared to the Elves?
Old 01-27-2002, 06:22 PM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I think it was because ME was predominantly an 'elvish' work. Tolkien wasn't interested in the dwarves in the same way... the were part of the legendarium but he didn't develop thier language, history, and etc in the same way.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:25 PM   #17
Legolas
Elven Warrior

As I from some posts, a language forum is much needed. There we may discuss Tolkien's languages, and some linguists may provide better info and some thoughts about more words in 'secret' langs.
Do you agree?
Old 01-28-2002, 05:12 PM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

It's been suggested to me a couple times. Maybe. I'm not sure the forum would get enough posters.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:42 AM   #19
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I would go, but probably just to listen in. (Don't speak Quenya or Sindarin - yet!)

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 11:18 AM   #20
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Thiat forum wouldn't of course mean that you must speak Quenya or Sindarin or Khuzdul or any other Tolkien lang to post there. There might be some great threads for ones who learn Quenya etc, to polish their skills.