Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-05-2002, 12:47 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Shadowfax is IN

Saw an interview wih Ian McKellan [gee, did I spell it right?] on E! Entertainment [no, my girlfriend had it on.....lol] last night. He stated that in TT that Gandalf the White, with a younger look and shorter white beard, is like a "samurai, more of a commander, riding about on his magical horse Shadowfax...."

Okay, okay, okay! Shadowfax ain't magical, but he's bloody well in the films! So, the pics of the white horse at Helms Deep is not of the Arwen-bearing Asfaloth [breathes a sigh of relief] but of the Gandalf-bearing Shadowfax.

BTW, Sir Ian stated his website has had over 8.5 million hits in February. It was really neat to see his reaction....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 04:10 PM   #2
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Its never been no mystery that shadowfax would or would not be in the movie, if you read his E-post archives, Ian Mc Kellan mentions Shadowfax a few times. In mind of that, Asfaloth may still be a possiblity.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 04:21 PM   #3
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

well, arwen is shown in pictures with the same dark rock background on a white horse..

gotta have hope though..

maybe someone accidentally sat on an edit scene button and deleted the arwen thing..

hmm

i was on a website earlier this month.. whos morwen? she/he seems to turn up in TTT.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:31 PM   #4
TinuvielChild
Padawan

ooh! ooh! i know this one! *pulls out a copy of The Silmarillion, flips thru* ok, according to the genealogies on page 381 of my copy of the Silmarillion, Morwen is Morwen Eledhwen, daughter of Baragund, wife of Hurin, and mother of Turin Turambar and Nienor Niniel. I can't tell you anything about where she might be in TT cuz i haven't read that one in 2 years (shame on me!)

another useless bit of trivia: Morwen is the name of the (sensible) witch in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede, who has 9 cats, none of whom are black (Morwen has the cats, not Patricia C. Wrede)

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 09:47 PM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

don't think that's the correct Morwen, Tinuviel.

But who the heck is Morwen gonna be? Don't tell me there will be a little "storytelling" flashback to Turin Turambar.....if that were done, I bet even jerseydevil would call Peter Jackson cool....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:02 PM   #6
Ringil
Sapling

Morwen could be Morwen of Lossarnach, mother of Theoden.
Ringil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 10:08 PM   #7
XRogue
Elven Warrior

According to rumor, Morwen will be a refugee woman from Rohan (added character) who Arwen helps somehow in the course of the movie.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:46 PM   #8
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

no, i am 100% sure that morwen doesn't appear in TTT or in RotK
but at least there is a morwen int he books somewhere!
i don't like it when movies make up characters just so they can move the plot around. it seems to easy. it makes it too unrealistic.
so good, morwen does exist, just not in LotR.
i haven't read the sil yet, so im sorry for my ig-nor-ance
oh dern, guess that just means i'll have to pick up a copy somewhere!
Old 03-06-2002, 10:50 PM   #9
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i actually only just got to the silmaril part of the silmarillion (chapter 7) and i only know about morwen cuz i was studying the genealogies in the back (don't ask why, i'm weird that way. sometimes i think i'm half hobbit cuz i'm short and i love genealogies...but my ears are pointed like an elf's and my face is kinda elvish). the silmarillion is SO COOL!!!!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:45 PM   #10
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

From Arda:
Quote:
Morwen Eledhwen
The raven-haired mother of Túrin Turambar
The daughter of Baragund of the House of Bëor, she wedded Húrin Thalion and was the mother of Túrin Turambar.
She isn't going to be in the movie I can bet! I am happy about shadow fox though!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:34 AM   #11
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

OOH...yay!! Shadowfax is in! But the whole Morwen thing...hmm...she's not in the index of LOTR at all, so I'm assuming that she's not going to be in. Unless of course, as an added char. Which would really be bad, as I don't WANT to have Turin's mother as a Rhoanian refugee.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 11:03 AM   #12
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think it's pretty set that Morwen is in the film, as she is listed as part of the cast. However, who the heck knows what the deal is with this character. Arwen helping Rohanian refugees......GD it, Peter, what the heck is so wrong about the ORIGINAL story? Sheesh, bro, I can live with Arwen Warrior Princess, but hey, forming new characters wholecloth and skipping the scouring of the shire are absolutely rotten. I still can't wait for the next two films, but knowing that the scouring ain't there is a real let-down for me.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:25 PM   #13
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i still can't get over the fact that the scouring isn't there!!!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 03-07-2002, 07:13 PM   #14
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

"Morwen" adds a human dimention ot Rohan's woes

nitpickers note-Morwen is presumably Sindarin, and therefore a very un-Rohirric name.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:47 PM   #15
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

when you make a movie from a book, you can't possibly include every single little aspect of it and especially not with LotR

and due to that, I forgive the ommision of the scouring although I was reading that part today (thus completing my third trip through the books) and I think that PJ could do an awesome job with it especially at the gate at the gate over the Brandywine when Pippin, Mery, and Sam approach the shiriffs with the sword out and Frodo just kind of sit there I had a perfect scene in my head and all too

camera above and two from Frodo's left and on from his right come around and stand a few feet from the gate while drawing their swords

but that's just my little overactive imagination talking

I think the addition of Morwen could be a good thing after all, it gives Arwen something to other than hijacking the entire story

I read somewhere that Morwen adds ahuman element to everything that is happening in Rohan so I'm all for it

I am in search of an MPEG version of the trailer... if anyone finds one, let me know!

Do not meddle in the affairs of females for they are PMS-ing and quick to batter.

"He fears you Aragorn, and what you may become"

Two Towers in 6 months!

Last edited by Halley_Brandybuck : 03-08-2002 at 06:51 PM.
Halley_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 07:57 PM   #16
Elf Girl
Lurker

My friends and I are still in disbelief about the leaving out of the scouring of the Shire.
I'm glad Shadowfax is in. I never seriously thought they'd leave him out. But I never even considered that they'd leave out the return to the Shire.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 07:57 PM   #17
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Sorry Bropous - it'll be a cold day in hell before I think Jackson is cool and even colder for me to believe he did any justice to the books. Bringing in characters from the Silmarillion would just be stupid for him to do anyway.

The adding of a new female character is no different than him adding Lurtz. Did anyone hear of him in the books???

Concerning the scouring - I'm personally glad it's out. Jackson would have just made it into a slash and hack scene with orcs and burning and pillaging. Look at what was shown in the Mirror - maybe it was just what might happen if Frodo fails - but I also think that is what the Scouriing would have been if Jackson had filmed it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 09:44 PM   #18
TinuvielChild
Padawan

for some reason (presumably my excessive Angband-playing), i always think of Lurtz as being named Azog, King of the Uruk-Hai.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 03-09-2002, 01:03 AM   #19
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
And Shadowfax is a BEAUTY!A VERY tall and PROUD horse with a creamy mane and tail that flow behing him in the breeze like a banner. And he's PURE white. No grey on him AT ALL. BEAUTIFUL horse and he's just so perfect for the part. BEAUTIFUL. And when the sun shines on his mane it turns GOLD I swear I WOULD LOVE riding on that animal. BEAUTIFUL.
Question: Why do we call Lurtz Lurtz? I mean he really doesn't HAVE a name that I heard in the movie. And what does that long line of letters on Bros sig mean?I've always wondered since I saw it.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 05:42 AM   #20
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

They named him Lurtz - even though it's never mentioned in the movie that I remember either - for marketing purposes. You need some name on the action figure. Since the orcs were just cronies - Lurtz was the "captain".

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote