Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 12:24 AM   #21
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Well Nibs, I don't really know you that well, but I wish you the best wherever you go and in whatever you do. Always remember: wherever you go, that's where you are.

Psalm 107:31
Old 04-03-2002, 01:04 AM   #22
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

damn nibs sorry to hear that, but i understand. if you find a good site pm me here and tell me , ill join you. you always gave a good reply to most of the topics here and i enjoyed reading your posts.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:15 AM   #23
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

c-ya

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 04-03-2002, 02:40 PM   #24
Darth Tater
The man

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
Hush, HOBBIT. No one likes you
Will you marry me?
Old 04-03-2002, 02:49 PM   #25
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Come again, nibs. I'm also contemplating how I could better use my time, but I haven't the self control to swear off the 'moot completely yet
Old 04-03-2002, 03:28 PM   #26
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by DArTh TaTeR
Will you marry me?
Depends. Do I get Galadriel's ring?
Old 04-03-2002, 07:35 PM   #27
Darth Tater
The man

I fear I must retract the proposal before certain parties kill me. Just lemme say you gave me a good laugh
Old 04-03-2002, 07:40 PM   #28
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Aw, what the heck. Nibs, if you don't stay, There will be one less person with a good sense of humour on these boards.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:40 PM   #29
HOBBIT

Heh, good sense of humor huh. And hes leaving for a little PRANK ON APIRL FOOLS DAY confined to only ONE FORUM : General Messages.

Heh, gotta love Nibs. such a great sense of humor

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 04-03-2002, 08:59 PM   #30
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Funny you think that's the only reason he's leaving Hobbit. Ever think there could be other things?

Personally, the quality of this board has been on a downward spiral since I joined I'm not going to leave as of yet, but it is a possibilty in the future.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:05 PM   #31
Darth Tater
The man

Gee Tristan, such diplomacy!
Old 04-03-2002, 09:09 PM   #32
HOBBIT

Why thank you tater. :P He already left, so it didn't matter. And that is the truth. Sorry if i offended anyone, but I don't see how. Nibs might and he is already gone and I doubt coming back. But what I posted was in fact the truth. Wayfarer was saying what a great sense of humor nibs had. And yet ,he posted the reason of his leaving being that he didn't like the prank we pulled. Everyone should be able to stomache a prank on April fools. Not on other days, but everyone knows that that is a prank day. And the users sure played some prank on us too Hehe, RE and Samwise. And it was ONLY IN GENERAL MESSAGES. Regular Tolkien discussions were not affected.
Starr - do you go to the lord of the rings forums?? You say that since you joined the board has gone down hill. Well since you joined - activity in the LOTR fourms, the 'real' forums, have greatly increased. Go figure.

Maybe we should just close General Messages????

Old 04-03-2002, 09:11 PM   #33
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

First of all, Nibs never said he was leaving just because of the prank on AFD, it was more of the 'straw that broke the camel's back'.

And yes, I HAVE been going to the LOTR forums. More posts has nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:26 PM   #34
Ben
Retired Ent

Starr Polish:

Please let me know what you feel has been wrong with the board lately. Unlike some other administrators, I really do care what the users think and I like to keep them happy. Based on the overwhelming support voiced for Tater's silly color-changing thing, I thought you guys liked pranks.

Would you guys like a serious Tolkien forum with no nonsense allowed, or a no-rules teen hangout with a loose Tolkien theme? I think some people can't make up their minds. I personally would strive for something in the middle, preferably toward the former . Please remember that this is General Messages. I love LotR, but discussing it in-depth every day for three years is simply not possible, imo. That's why I think the miscellaneous areas are healthy for the board.

Because of the interest generated by the movie, the Tolkien forums experienced an unprecedented renaissance. For the first time, there were more messages posted in the Tolkien forums than in the unrelated areas. During the first year or so of our existence, General Messages alone made up more than 50% of the board. This is a wonderful turnaround, I think, considering that this is a Tolkien board. Darth Tater, on the other hand, feels that the new people have only worsened Entmoot. In my opinion, I think that exchanging ideas and talking with a larger member base (but still small enough to be cozy) is the whole point of all of this. Obviously with any large group of people you'll find some bad apples.

If your beef is with this miscellaneous community area, consider restricting yourself to the Middle-earth forums for awhile. Unfortunately, I haven't been as involved there as I'd like, but I know the discussion is top-notch.

There is a certain fatigue with anything that begins to seem permanent on the Internet. I don't think any of the current regulars here (minus the staff) have been posting for even a year. Very few of the former regulars exited with fanfare like Nibs; they just slowly found other interests and drifted away. Of course, new people drifted in to replace them. It's just the temporary nature of the Web. Some of us in the administration have been here since 1999, and I guess restlessness comes with doing the same thing for such a long period of time. Darth Tater seems to respond by pulling pranks to shake things up. I just haven't been posting much. Of course, we feel responsibility to the board that a regular user wouldn't have. Users come and go, and times past will always seem like "the good old days."

And remember, if you have a suggestion or a concern, contact an admin. Try me if no one else responds. Some of us do have lives outside of Entmoot (heh), so a response might not be instantaneous, but you will receive a reply eventually. We do read everything you send us.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Old 04-03-2002, 10:31 PM   #35
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

As I said yesterday Star Polish, the LOTR movie has been out for a while. After three months, there is only so many ways you can complain about the Flight to the Ford scene. I think I've covered them all - but if I think of another one, I'll make sure I post it.

If you don't like the threads that people start then start your own. If they go off topic then moderate your own thread - you can bring it back on topic yourself. All threads go off topic in some respects. A person will mention something within a post and people will respond to it and start discussing that. you mentioned yesterday that people don't respond to the threads that you post, there is nothing that you can do to force them to post in it. People are onlly going to post to things that interest them.

I'm glad that the board if not so serious. Think about how boring life would be without some joking around once in a while. I also agree with Ben - I think most people thought that Pink and Purple day was a lot of fun once they knew it was a joke. I think the majority of people feel the same way about the Entmoot Revolution. If I wanted serious discussion all the time - I'd go on the CNN message boards.

As HOBBIT said and I've said in other posts - the whole Revolution was restricted to General Messages. I even gave everyone a hint that it was fake in Tater's Spam!!!!!! , where I basically point out that he says to keep it restricted to General Messages. That should have been one hint everyone picked up on.

I think there are a lot of good discussions on entmoot - even in general messages, such as the politics, anti-theism, theism, etc ones. There are a lot of just fun threads that are about nothing too.

The users make the forum, especially one like this. Users set the tone for it, users start the threads and post. There really isn't a lot of "censorship" or anything.

Tater also tells me how much better it was before, but I wasn't here - so I can't complain. I enjoy it. If I stop enjoying I'll probably just slip away and just be a memory.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-04-2002, 12:06 AM   #36
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

bmilder, I promise that if it gets worse, I will tell you, but I think a lot of my annoyance is caused by my imminent meanness and aloofness. Lack of sleep may have caused this to be even worse, so I'm trying to bite my tongue (though I did have a hard time doing that during study hall today...)
Old 04-04-2002, 06:29 AM   #37
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Heh, good sense of humor huh. And hes leaving for a little PRANK ON APIRL FOOLS DAY confined to only ONE FORUM : General Messages.

Heh, gotta love Nibs. such a great sense of humor
I am not discounting that he's playing another prank which will last until the next time he posts.

Either way, he will be missed.

"Come back, come back, to GM we will take you!"
-- Entmootgul

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 04-04-2002 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:01 PM   #38
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Hey, Nibs, you forgot something! *tosses over a pack of face paint and a Krispy Kreme hat* You never know when they might come in handy!
Old 04-04-2002, 04:02 PM   #39
Arian
Elven Warrior

I wish Nibs. would come back. It was so much fun to agure and talk to him. Tater's pranks were harmless. I think it open the board into more converstion, not that is was all ready. But it was one really good joke on April 1st.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:13 PM   #40
Ben
Retired Ent

From Nibs:

Quote:
To not make myself a hypocrite, I've asked Ben to post this message in my behalf. In an additional effort to quell the suspicions of my reasons for leaving, I want to echo what I mentioned in the first message. The pranks were, indeed, harmless. I agree with that. And, as I mentioned, that was not the sole reason for my leaving. Before, I rationalized the time I spent on the website by acknowledging I was actually gaining perspectives on all sorts of things, not just limited to LotR. I felt I was learning from the honest opinion of others, and (sometimes) tried to do the same. But, like I said, the discussions, I felt, began focusing on things that were of little consequence, and I had no excuse to spend my time here. I couldn't keep myself from reading the responses towards my leaving, and my status on that has not changed. I want to thank you for your compliments... I enjoyed making you laugh, disagreeing with you, posting smilies, etc.

I didn't mean to leave "with a bang", but thought this a better alternative to a few users repeating "Hey, where's so-and-so?" many a time in the future.

This thread is closed at my request. I didn't wish for so many compliments, but it makes me feel good that I didn't have to ask. I may actually return in the future, but for now I must focus on my studies.

And now, as a farewell to end farewells, I bid you Adeiu. Thanks for the good times. - Nibs

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Closed Thread