Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-21-2002, 05:51 AM   #21
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

forcing the ring from him does not mean necessarily mean killing him

wrestling him to the ground and removing it was the vision in my mind

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:13 PM   #22
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Just ATTEMPTING to take the One Ring from Isilur would probably driven the poor bugger spare. Even had it ended up just as a wrestling contest, you can bet the rest of the Men would not have sat by idle to see their new king being worked over by two Eldar. They would have attempted to intervene for Isildur, and do you think the Elven hosts would have stood by idly and let some upstart humans waylay the herald of Gil Galad and the master of hte Grey Havens?

Nope. It would have been horrorshow had Elrond and Cirdan tag teamed to take the Ring from Isildur. Pretty likely the best thing was to let the little baby have his dangerous little trinket and learn that fire is hot from being burned by the stove.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 04:03 PM   #23
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The point that makes this question a little biased is that we KNOW what happened afterwards, they didn't.

Imagine: you're standing on the Orodruin, Isildur takes the ring. You think Sauron is gone and finished. Isildur's father just died, his brother died earlier on. He bought that ring very dearly. Really are you gonna pester him further by taking that little trinket from him? Personally I would have said, Naaaah let him keep it.

On the other hand me doing so may prove very much the fact that I'm no elven lord (or lady) for that matter.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:12 PM   #24
noldorlord
Hobbit

why do you say cirdan/elrond?
anyway, I would have been a bit more forceful than elrond in the film. If isildur said no I would, if needs be have sacrificed the both of us if it got the ring destroyed.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:22 PM   #25
Xivigg
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

it's not that simple

it's not that easy to destroy the ring and after years of war, when you finaly win you don't realy want to start a new one.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:41 PM   #26
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Just ATTEMPTING to take the One Ring from Isilur would probably driven the poor bugger spare. Even had it ended up just as a wrestling contest, you can bet the rest of the Men would not have sat by idle to see their new king being worked over by two Eldar. They would have attempted to intervene for Isildur, and do you think the Elven hosts would have stood by idly and let some upstart humans waylay the herald of Gil Galad and the master of hte Grey Havens?
The problem that the final combat took place I BELIEVE alone
with sauron vs gil and elendil

with Cirdan and Elrond and isildur standing by It seems that the Elf/human armies were removed from the immediate area

Not to say that what bropous wrote wouldn't have happened but there is CHANCE that it may not have

IF it happned like in the Movie then the things would not have involvled the other two armies ( at least not with the wrestling match)

Quote:
why do you say cirdan/elrond?
it is stated that only Cirdan and Elrond and Isildur stood by it the final combat between sauron, gil, and elendil

Quote:
The point that makes this question a little biased is that we KNOW what happened afterwards, they didn't.
In an earlier post I clarified that with the knowledge I have now

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 03:33 AM   #27
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
In an earlier post I clarified that with the knowledge I have now
*looks confused* You did? *browses back* Oh yeah, I found it. Sorry.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:10 AM   #28
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I changed my mind--I would probably just do what they did in the book. For obvious reasons, as stated above by other people

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote