Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2003, 04:05 PM   #11
Ithildin55
Hobbit

As others have noted, the character named Legolas that appeared in the tale of the Fall of Gondolin, cannot be considered to be the same character, however changed. I agree that Tolkien probably liked the name, and so re-used it at a later date when he wrote LOTR. He styled the name to be Silvan, so it could not have been used for a Sindarin or Noldorin character, even if he had re-written the story.

As to the German translator’s opinion of Legolas, perhaps he was influenced by a comment Tolkien made somewhere stating that Legolas accomplished less than any other member of the Fellowship. I don’t know that the good professor ever totally explained what he meant by that and many people disagree with him (in spite of the fact that he did write the story…)

As far as choosing an Elf to include in the Fellowship, there were a number of powerful Elf Lords available to Elrond, some who were Noldorin Exiles born in Aman. Their store of knowledge and military experience alone would have been amazing. Add in greater stature and physical strength and, in Glorfindel’s case, power almost to the level of the Maiar and yes, indeed their abilities would far exceed those of a Sindarin Elf raised in the Silvan culture of Mirkwood.

However, the skills and talents that Legolas possessed were exactly what the Fellowship needed. Remember at the Council Elrond said, “The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong.” (Council of Elrond, FotR). I think the point Tolkien was trying to make here, was that each member of the Fellowship had talents and abilities that together would make it possible for the Quest to be successful, though the ‘wise’ and the ‘great often overlooked their special qualities. Gandalf had a way of seeing beyond the surface in people, and I expect his recommendations contributed somewhat to the formation of the Fellowship.

Those who risk nothing – achieve nothing...
STS-107 Columbia and Crew: Your Dream will live on.
We will keep reaching for the stars.
Ithildin55 is offline   Reply With Quote