Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-20-2003, 11:05 PM   #1
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

subtitles or lack thereof?

I viewed ROTK for the second time tonight. Well... I'm not sure of the accuracy of this, but it seemed like there were subtitles for elvish where there was lack of them upon my first viewing. The only scene I noticed that I was confused about upon first viewing for the lack of subtitles is a couple lines by Aragorn talking to Elrond in the tent when Elrond brings him Anduril. Upon the first viewing, there were no subtitles and we were left wondering. This viewing, at a different theatre, the sbutitles said something along the lines of 'I put all of my hope into my men. I have none left for myself.'

Also, the sound was quite messed up the entire time, though it may have been the theatre we were in.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 12-20-2003 at 11:08 PM.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: subtitles or lack thereof?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
I viewed ROTK for the second time tonight. Well... I'm not sure of the accuracy of this, but it seemed like there were subtitles for elvish where there was lack of them upon my first viewing. The only scene I noticed that I was confused about upon first viewing for the lack of subtitles is a couple lines by Aragorn talking to Elrond in the tent when Elrond brings him Anduril. Upon the first viewing, there were no subtitles and we were left wondering. This viewing, the sbutitles said something along the lines of 'I put all of my hope into my men. I have none left for myself.'

Also, the sound was quite messed up the entire time, though it may have been the theatre we were in.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Nope, when I saw it there were subtitles. I remember that scene specifically, because that line is what Aragorn's mother says to him the last time they saw each other...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:16 PM   #3
Sminty_Smeagol

Do you remember what the words were?

I've read reviews on some websites and stuff and I know its been mentions that there are no subtitles in crucial moments. And I had read the reviews before my first viewing on dec 17 afternoon, and at that scene I was like 'Yup. There it is. no subtitles. just elvish jabber I guess'
But now tonight they were there... at a different theatre i might add. Do they have different cuts and stuff going around?

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 12-20-2003 at 11:17 PM.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:40 AM   #4
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Interesting that you should mention that... I noticed that they were speaking Elvish in the tent, but there were no subtitles. The only subtitle in the whole movie was at the end when Elrond said, "The sea calls us home." I saw the movie at the same theater all three times I've seen it. (Small town, limited options) That is curious.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:02 AM   #5
anduin
Entwife

i too noticed this. in my theatre i didn't have any subs in the tent scene, but that was the only place. the first time i saw it was during the "trilogy" tuesday night. the second time was thursday afternoon. same thing. our theatre had sound difficulties during the extended TTT. we lost sound completely a couple of times and for a good chunk of time we lost "6.1". it did not bother me though the loss of subs during the tent scene, but i am glad to know at least it was dialogue from the book.
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:28 AM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Wow that is weird. I had subtitles when I saw it. I am gonna see it again this week, so I will let you know if I see them again...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:03 PM   #7
Sminty_Smeagol

try going to a different theatre
Old 12-21-2003, 01:46 PM   #8
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

When I went the second time, I went to a different theater. There were subtitiles there, and I remember thinking that I must have missed them the first time because I didn't remember seeing them.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:34 PM   #9
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Those who say they aren't seeing subitles: Go to another theater. There are definiely subtitles in the tent scene.

And Sylvee, I really like your icon.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:23 PM   #10
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

Well, I had subtitles when I saw it... but actually it seemed like there really wasn't a lot of elvish spoken compared to the other two movies. not that i really mind, but that was just what it seemed to me.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:30 PM   #11
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

...not that we who have read the book need subtitles.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:37 AM   #12
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Yes we do - when the people around is sobbing loudly right into your ear, or chewing potato chips.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:49 PM   #13
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I saw it twice, at different theaters, and there were subtitles in all of the same places. This sounds really wierd!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 02:50 PM   #14
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
There was elvish in the tent scene? Do you remeber what was said? When I saw it there were sub. where they were supposed to be but I don't remember elvish in the tent scene. I think I'm seeing it again Friday so I'll let you know what happens.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #15
Falagar

From my memory, this is what it was in the book. I don't think there were any subtitles where I was.
Elrond: Ónen i-estel edain...
Aragorn: ...úchebin estel anin
Old 12-23-2003, 07:47 PM   #16
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I saw all the subtitles. Of course I've only seen it once (and am itching tremendously to see it again).
I loved that part with Elrond and Aragorn saying "I gave Hope to the world... but have kept none for myself." A great moment for Aragorn, and for those of us who've read the appendices.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 04:30 AM   #17
Jedi X
Hobbit

sminty:

oh yeah, i did notice that, too. the first time i saw the movie, it was at our cinema 2; and the subtitles were there. it is the part where elrond is talking to aragorn, that someone else up there mentioned, when he says "i give hope to the world" and aragorn says "i keep none for myself".

well, first time i saw it they were there. so, next night i go with a couple of my buddies at cinema 1 and they aren't there! i say afterwards "hey, there were no subtitles in the tent!" and i kept wondering "how the heck can that be possible???"

anyway, i talked to other friends on texas hold 'em night. they all saw it in theater 1 and i was telling them all about the missing subtitles. they're all like "you sure?" and giving me that suspicious squinty eye; you know the one *jedi x does the suspicious squinty eye* and i am like "yeah, i'm sure", i mean, it's like, you hear elfin and the first thing you expect to see are subtitles. right? so, they are all like "well, what was it that was said?" and i am all like, "i can't remember what it was" and they are all like "man, are you positively sure" and i am like "yeah, i am positively sure" and they are like "that doesnt sound right" and then i am all like "hmmm" and i start to doubt myself. but then i think about it and i am like "no, i'm sure". so, they give me the squinty eye again and we go on with our game.

anyway, then i go back on a sunday with more friends to see it again. and we go to cinema 2 at noon. so, i am like "okay, now they will see that i know what i'm talking about"

so, the whole time i am sitting there thinking "okay- when this gets to that scene, there had better be subtitles, or i'm going to look like a complete dumbars." then, the scene starts drawing near and i am like "hmmm, maybe they WERENT there? maybe, hmmm" and i'm all doubting myself again. one of my friends said he was sitting there waiting for the subtitles too and he was thinking "man, if there are no subtitles, i'm going to slap him"

anyway, the tent scene comes- hallelujah chorus- subtitles.

i folded my arms across my chess and nodded in satisfactory triumph.

so, apparently, there are two different "movies", one with the tent scene subtitles- one without.

i'm glad you noticed that too. good eye! you get 50 gold stars!

Last edited by Jedi X : 12-31-2003 at 04:44 AM.
Jedi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 02:14 AM   #18
dawningoftime
Enting

I went and saw it yesterday with my folks and afterwards my sister and I got talking about the lack of subtitles the first time we went to see it and my mom suspects that there may have been shipment of film that didn't have the subtitles that went out accidently.
dawningoftime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:33 AM   #19
Ohtar
Sapling

Strider GONDORIANS!

Does anyone else got annoyed with the PJ phrase, which he's clearly invented, Gondorians! I know a lot of people have been using this phrase on the message boards but to me it's extremely annoying!!!!!!!!! I note that a lot of people on the LOTR production teams used it as well during the commentaries and narratives. I would have preferred Southern Dunedain or people of Gondor etc. or even Gondorhirrim - Gondorians is like, to me in any case, a horrible perversion and an intrusion into Middle Earth authenticity..... what do others think?
Ohtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 12:03 PM   #20
Falagar

I think it should be 'Gondorrim' (not Gondohirrim, "Lords of Gondor").