Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2002, 09:26 PM   #1
Lady Midnight
Elven Warrior

Location: only after 11pm and in an altered state of conciousness
Honesty and the Lack Thereof......

Okay I'm not really sure if I should be saying this. Heck I'm not even sure how to say it! But if I don't then I might inadvertently say the wrong thing to someone and we don't want that.

The thing is I'm likely to be more than usually strung-out for the next few days. It's gone down really bad over at Slipstream and a lot of people I care for a great deal have been very badly hurt. I'm not sure how much I should tell you, or indeed if I should say anything at all. It's a very unusual situation to be in. Right now I'm completely stunned.

The short version is that a while back someone who was in a position of trust over there, whom many of us had known for quite a while and thought of as a friend, perpetrated what can only be described as a disgustingly cruel hoax against the entire community, all near enough 2000 of us.

He's only gone and done it a second time.

If you want to know exactly what went on feel free to PM me. I'm told hug threads aren't done here so I won't ask for them. That would be spam of course and that is not my intention here. But if you wanted to you could say something funny and try to raise a smile. Or we could discuss the nature of honesty. That would certainly be relevant here.

But I just wanted to apologise in advance for anything I might say or do over the next day or two. I'm very definitely
not in my usual frame of mind right now.

I'm sorry if I've overstepped the mark in starting this thread. I just felt I should get it all off my chest and well PMing everyone would've been a little excessive.

Besides I'd love to know how everyone would handle a situation like this.

Mod of Mirkwood forum at:
http://pub28.ezboard.com/bmiddleearth99434

Self Proclaimed Lady Of General Messages, Minx of the 'Moot and semi-retired Official Flirt Of The Slipstream, Discipula Lenta and Warrior Priestess of the Wayists. Queen of Dramatic Tension in many RPs.

In the process of setting up a new SF/Fantasy based fanzine. I want Fanfic, short stories, poetry, filks, reviews, artwork, anything you've got really but most of all IDEAS!!!!. You write it I'll take a look at it.

At the moment I can't pay for submissions but all contributors will recieve a complimentary copy and I am confident that I will be able to pay one day.

Please PM me if you have anything.

Never but never buy a computer from TIME. If you want to know why please ask.

Andromeda fans check out:

http://www.slipstreambbs.com/
Lady Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 09:30 PM   #2
Ben
Retired Ent

I'm sorry to hear that. So, what exactly happened? You're not going to just leave everyone in suspense are you?

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 09:31 PM   #3
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Sounds like a clone of Darth Tater to me

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 04:43 AM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Aren't you afraid, that by sharing the problem via here, or PM, that they same thing will happen again?!
Old 06-07-2002, 06:00 AM   #5
Lady Midnight
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder
I'm sorry to hear that. So, what exactly happened? You're not going to just leave everyone in suspense are you?
Ok here's what happened. A few months ago one of our moderators started posting about his cousin and her potentially violent boyfriend, expressing concern for her welfare. I only caught the tail end of that but from what I can gather this went on for about a month. Then he posted that she'd gone away with him and well there's really no polite way to say this but he hurt her in a very horrific way. The man who posted about this went into fairly lurid detail about her injuries, to say nothing about what else the boyfriend was supposed to have done.

Anyway many women on the board have been in similar situations and we all wanted to help this girl. So we all came out in full force and talked about our experiences, some in public, reliving possibly the most traumatic things anyone could ever go through in order to help a total stranger and someone we all believed was a friend.

The next thing we knew the cousin was posting, thanking us all for our kind thoughts. Some of us spent a long time in Chat, talking to her. Others e-mailed her. One of my closest friends even invited her to stay with her for a bit. We all believed without question, well you would, wouldn't you? Who would think that something so horrible could be made up?

But then it all went pear-shaped. My friend who I mentioned earlier, who'd extended the invitation to the girl, she was the one who found out. She blew the whistle on him and he had no choice but to confess.

It was all a lie

There was no cousin, no boyfriend, and most importantly no-one got horrifically attacked. The only people who got hurt were the people who cared enough to try to help someone in trouble, the women who'd shared their experiences, the people who cared about those women, myself, people I care about, these were the people who got hurt.

But it didn't end there. He was of course asked to step down as moderator and his last official act was to ban himself. However he came back two days later and continuously told us he'd changed, "found his spiritual centre", he was sorry, it was the headaches. But the way he went about it just seemed so insincere. Firstly he didn't even have the good grace to come back himself and face the music. He manipulated someone into posting on his behalf. Then came all the excuses. Not to mention the constant e-mails to the more trusting members of our community.

Eventually he went away again but about 2 days ago a friend of his showed up asking us to stop giving him such a hard time over it. Right from the start there was something eerily similar about her posts, his posts and the posts he'd done as the "cousin". This friend even went so far as to tell us he'd been playing silly beggars with knives as a result of the whole sorry mess. Most of us could see straight through this but a good many believed this friend to be everything she said she was and condemed those of us who were skeptical, thus creating disharmony on the board.

Shortly before I started this thread it was announced that he'd been banned for 24hrs for multiple user names.

There was no friend. It was all another lie.

My reaction to the news was "What? you mean you're actually going to let him back after 24hrs????? "

If it was up to me I'd never have him back. But Slipstream doesn't have IP tracking. If it did this whole sorry mess would've been over and done with months ago. As it is he's going to keep comming back and doing dren like this as long as there are trusting people in the world.

But on a lighter note I just made two new friends, both of whom I thought I'd never get on with.

Self Proclaimed Lady Of General Messages, Minx of the 'Moot and semi-retired Official Flirt Of The Slipstream, Discipula Lenta and Warrior Priestess of the Wayists. Queen of Dramatic Tension in many RPs.

In the process of setting up a new SF/Fantasy based fanzine. I want Fanfic, short stories, poetry, filks, reviews, artwork, anything you've got really but most of all IDEAS!!!!. You write it I'll take a look at it.

At the moment I can't pay for submissions but all contributors will recieve a complimentary copy and I am confident that I will be able to pay one day.

Last edited by Lady Midnight : 06-07-2002 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-07-2002, 06:12 AM   #6
Lady Midnight
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Aren't you afraid, that by sharing the problem via here, or PM, that they same thing will happen again?!
Not really. I'm here so if anyone pulled a stunt like this here chances are I'd probably cotton on quickly. And I'm sure the Admin are more than capable of dealing with stuff like this in sufficient time for people not to get hurt.

In any case should the low-life ever find his way here it's as well everyone knows what he's capable of.

Old 06-07-2002, 06:24 AM   #7
Radagast
Elven Warrior

I must say that's a very odd situation...I don't really know what to say so I won't.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 08:05 AM   #8
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Rule No. 1: Don't believe everything you read in chatrooms, discussion forums - in fact, be skeptical of everything...
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 08:10 AM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
Rule No. 1: Don't believe everything you read in chatrooms, discussion forums - in fact, be skeptical of everything...
Including the above rule....
Old 06-07-2002, 08:24 AM   #10
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

BoP, your insight works against you. Bow down before me, young paddawan.
Old 06-07-2002, 08:31 AM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
BoP, your insight works against you. Bow down before me, young paddawan.
Make me, monkey boy.
In the meantime, how 'bout I bare my soul for you in the public domain?
Old 06-07-2002, 08:32 AM   #12
Lady Midnight
Elven Warrior

Quote:
A good rule. Unfortunately most of us have known this guy for quite a while, have talked to him every night for over a year and we'd never had any reason to doubt him until then.

I can only conclude that he must be crazy. The question is whether he was like that to begin with or has he cracked under the RL pressure he's been under, mother dying, that sort of thing. Is there any RL pressure even or is that another lie as well?

The thing is that by and large we are a pretty honest bunch there. When you've known people as long as we've known each other and talked as often as we do you normally can tell to some extent. That's why I never believed him this second time. Too much about this friend of his didn't ring true.

I'm not generally given to hating people and I really don't like to be put in a position where I find myself wanting to string someone whom I used to consider a friend up by the nearest lampost.

Old 06-07-2002, 09:07 AM   #13
Darth Tater
The man

There was a member here at Entmoot who fabricated a whole family! The admins finally confronted her on it when we'd figured most of it out, she got upset and left. My point is you can't always trust people on the net, and when something big like that comes up it's important to be skeptical.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 09:37 AM   #14
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

*Looks askance at the Tater*
Old 06-07-2002, 09:43 AM   #15
Lady Midnight
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
There was a member here at Entmoot who fabricated a whole family! The admins finally confronted her on it when we'd figured most of it out, she got upset and left. My point is you can't always trust people on the net, and when something big like that comes up it's important to be skeptical.
This is true but right now the damage has been done and he's going to be allowed back this time tomorrow. Right now a bunch of us are talking about petitioning the Admin for a lifetime ban, little extreme maybe but then so's the situation. I'm also offering to pay for IP tracking.

If he does come back the only other option is to just completely blank him. Trouble is getting a couple of thousand people to all stick to that.

Old 06-08-2002, 11:30 PM   #16
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

ohh harsh, im sorry that happened too you, and everyone else. the paying for IP tacking is a good idea though. good luck

tater, who was the girl, i need to know more, im nosey!
Old 06-09-2002, 08:22 AM   #17
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I think that anduin's rule is a good one. Dont believe anything. UNfortunately for me that doesnt always work and i can be quite trusting which got me into a scary mess on the net once.
But this bloke sounds a bit disturbed and needing a cry for attention. Another thing that bugs me is that your friend gave him/her her address in an invite to stay with her.
that sounds quite dangerous.
this bloke sounds like a typical 'i have no friends outside the net' bloke so if he comes back just give him the cold shoulderand he'llmove on. he'll probably find another place to destroy. meanwhile dont let him ruin your message board. if you do, he's won.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 10:10 PM   #18
anduin
Entwife

...Anduril's rule.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 02:56 AM   #19
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Thanks Anduril