Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-24-2003, 01:29 PM   #1
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Tolkien on Posession

"Neither genuine hypnosis, nor variants, occur in my tale. Saruman's voice was not hypnotic but persuasive. Those who listened to him were not in danger of falling into a trance, but of agreeing with his arguments, while fully awake. It was always open to one to reject by free will and reason, both his voice while speaking and it's after impressions. Saruman corrupted the reasoning powers"

J.R.R. Tolkien
from a letter to Forrest J. Ackerman

I posted this just as the other thread got closed, so I reposted here. I thought everyone should read it since it's Tolkien's own perspective.

I think it ends the debate about the exorsism in the film.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 10-24-2003 at 01:33 PM.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Depiction of Theoden's healing

Starting this thread to continue the discussion of the difference between the book and the movie regarding Theoden.

I think the theme of listening to Gandalf is NOT as well-developed as I would like in the movies. I think having Theoden "posessed" instead of merely "influenced" by Saruman through Grima detracted from an important theme in many medieval and mythological tales. When you have one single point of decision such as a king or emperor, he better have a care who he takes as a counselor. Gandalf is the wise counselor throughout and is constantly shown in comparison with bad counselors.

Turning it into a continuation of the telekinetic staff battle was just Hollywood nonsense.

[edit] I see that squintyeyed started a thread after the closing of a previous thread. I think we are actually talking about two different things, though.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 10-24-2003 at 02:58 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

SES, they say great minds think alike.

I am pretty certain, however, that quotes from Letters and books will not end debates since fiction and drama are different media and movie-makers have always altered stories when converting between them.

I suggest we keep the discussion here to exorcism and keep the discussion on my thread to the theme of "counseling".
Old 10-24-2003, 02:06 PM   #4
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Yes, I think we were writing at the same time.

You are correct about letters not ending debates, I really only meant with respect to a specific poster who was arguing that the exorsism in the film was hinted to in the novel and expanded for the film. I think Tolkien's quote clears up that specific point.

Perhaps a mod could just insert my thread into yours and then the discussions will all be in one thread.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:17 PM   #5
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I'd like to keep in these discussions, unfortunately I think that the big part is over. But who can tell? with two certain people at each others throats, maybe the discussions will go on.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 02:37 PM   #6
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

The whole scene in my opinion (like so many others) was just so over done. Grima's make-up? Theoden's Linda Blair look? and the whole Saruman flying backward scene. How about some subtlety?

Saruman was not done well in these films, in my opinion. He is a wonderful and complex character. The symbolism of his white robe fracturing into the entire spectrum was ignored, his ability to persuade was left unrealized, his real motivations toward the ring were reduced to nothing more than joining Sauron. What a missed opportunity. Lee had the voice to pull it off too.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:08 PM   #7
azalea
Long lost mooter

I did merge the two threads, as they were addressing the same issue.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:09 PM   #8
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by squinteyedsoutherner
The whole scene in my opinion (like so many others) was just so over done. Grima's make-up? Theoden's Linda Blair look? and the whole Saruman flying backward scene. How about some subtlety?
Subtelty isn't/wasn't Jackson's strong point. He went over the top in most things.
Quote:

Saruman was not done well in these films, in my opinion. He is a wonderful and complex character. The symbolism of his white robe fracturing into the entire spectrum was ignored, his ability to persuade was left unrealized, his real motivations toward the ring were reduced to nothing more than joining Sauron. What a missed opportunity. Lee had the voice to pull it off too.
I agree - Saruman could have been so much more. Instead he was reduced down to Mordor's lackey.

I have made my statements on Theoden - the whole scene was ridiculous. One of the many scenes that will not be fixed by the extended edition.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:10 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I did merge the two threads, as they were addressing the same issue.
I was wondering if they would be - or if one was just going to be closed.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-24-2003, 03:11 PM   #10
hectorberlioz

Actuall on the whole I'd say saruman was the best done character in the movies. But you're right, tthey could have at least been more subtle. Saruman's flting backward was really...dumb.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 10-24-2003, 03:34 PM   #11
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
Actuall on the whole I'd say saruman was the best done character in the movies. But you're right, tthey could have at least been more subtle. Saruman's flting backward was really...dumb.
I am not sure if dumb is the the right word. I think overly dramatic may be a better choice of words. I did not think of the fling as dumb, but just not right (if the goal was to keep the movie as close to the "spirit" of the book as possible when it was not practical to directly adapt material from book to film)

Ironically when I first saw the restoration of Theoden's "sanity" in TTT I started thinking about horror/monster films that had possessions and "supernatural" events. I guess this is a problem for me as someone that has watched/read too many other films/books.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:36 PM   #12
hectorberlioz

Overly dramatic then. Dumb to put in the movie.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 10-24-2003, 03:37 PM   #13
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

The scene doesn't match the book, but I found it very entertaining. It was one of my fave bits in TTT movie.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:06 PM   #14
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
I am not sure if dumb is the the right word. I think overly dramatic may be a better choice of words.
Are we talking about Saruman flying backwards in TTT or the reason why we've moved the discussion here from one thread to another?
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:54 PM   #15
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

We are talking about Theoden, which is Anglo-Saxon for "prince". þeoden, to be precise, but maybe "prince" is not a precise translation, eh?
Old 10-24-2003, 11:40 PM   #16
Entlover
Elven Warrior

The part that annoyed me -- in addition to the lack of subtlety -- was that his hair and fingernails magically shortened when he was exorcised. It made no sense.
You'd think Eowyn would have noticed that her uncle wasn't himself, and made some comment earlier.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:51 PM   #17
hectorberlioz

Oh didnt you know that Theoden took up yoga and hygiene fitness while Gandalf excorcised him all the while?
Excercise and Excorcise

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 10-24-2003 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:45 AM   #18
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Entlover
The part that annoyed me -- in addition to the lack of subtlety -- was that his hair and fingernails magically shortened when he was exorcised. It made no sense. You'd think Eowyn would have noticed that her uncle wasn't himself, and made some comment earlier.
Clearly the possession of Theoden happened over a period of months so his deterioration into a senile old man was gradual. Thanks to Gandalf, his restoration was immediate and therefore obviously very dramatic.

Personally, I thought the exorcism worked but I would have preferred that it changed Theoden's eyes and made him suddenly look younger and more alive but without changing his scraggily beard or nails. He could have changed his complete appearance in the following scenes with the audience understanding he cleaned himself up.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 10:09 AM   #19
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I just took the "magical" transformation as an example of "wizard magic". It's true, it's not that way in the book, but this type of "more simple" (dumbing down if you prefer to be harsh) interpretation was exciting for the movie (IMO) The bottom line was Theoden changed sides, to Gandalf's side of "good", which is where we all know the righteous king of the Rohirrim wanted to be. I didn't mind the "magical" special effects. (I thought they were rather entertaining )
Middle Earth ......a magic place or not? To a casual movie goer, I think the "magic" fits in well. Sometimes I think some of us expect too much from these movies. The huge, complex story... fantastic scenery and beauty...moving emotional acting, plus picking up all the interwoven, deep, "between the lines" themes of the story. For dedicated fans, (like many of us) these moving, complicated themes are the beauteous crux of the tale, but some people (particularly young veiwers) might find the "magic," mythological aspects of a land of elves, wizards, dwarfs, trolls etc to be very exciting. The fantasy genre thrives on these types of magical moments....doesn't it? The story, of course, can be interprepted as you wish. This is one version. IMO, it makes for fun movie veiwing. Bad baddies, righteous goodies, and lots of magic...cool!

Last edited by Lizra : 10-25-2003 at 10:15 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 05:49 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
...but some people (particularly young veiwers) might find the "magic," mythological aspects of a land of elves, wizards, dwarfs, trolls etc to be very exciting. The fantasy genre thrives on these types of magical moments....doesn't it? The story, of course, can be interprepted as you wish. This is one version. IMO, it makes for fun movie veiwing. Bad baddies, righteous goodies, and lots of magic...cool!
As i have said - dumbed down the movie. There was no reason to dumb it down in my opinion other than Hollywood's arrogant attitude toward the general public. It could have been an intelligent movie - instead it was an action movie. The scene of Theoden's exorcism is just one example in MANY. Gandalf fought against Grima and had him crawling on his belly in the book - he didn't fight Saruman through Theoden. If Jackson was a true fan - he would have made an INTELLIGENT movie worthy of Tolkien.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide