Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2003, 03:46 PM   #1
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Gandalf How Many Black Riders?

I've frozen the DVD and counted several times, but each time I can only see Eight Black Riders chasing Arwen & Frodo to the Fords - surely I must be mistaken??? Has anyone else noticed this?

(Sorry if this has already been remarked upon before).
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so, with Pity."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Very well,' he answered aloud, lowering his sword. 'But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."

Last edited by LutraMage : 06-09-2003 at 03:48 PM.
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 03:56 PM   #2
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

Treebeard

I heard somewhere that the ninth Ringwraith, the Witch king, was waiting at the ford and he joined them there. Someone might correct me on that, but I think that's right.

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:33 PM   #3
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

Hmm.... I never noticed that before (never really looked before). I know that when (at the beggining) they are talking about the nine rings for mortal men and then show the picture, there are nine.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:34 PM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

There were 5 riders chasing Strider and the hobbits, and 4 waiting in ambush at the ford. I don't know why you could only see eight. I never counted.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

Well, it's another reason to watch FOTR again!!!
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:43 PM   #6
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

In the movie there are only 7 chasing Arwen and eight at the ford. I guess one was home sick that day.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:20 PM   #7
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I have a LOTR poster (which I got for FREE because it was one of the display ones in a department store [much more durable and it will be more valuable in years to come- not that I'd get rid of it.]), and at the bottom it has- besides the words 'Coming on DVD and VHS August 6 2002' -, the Ringwraiths at the Ford of Bruinen, and I can only count eight in the picture.
P.S. Didn't somebody in the director/screenwriter commentary on the EE of FOTR say that the ninth one joins them at the Ford?
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:43 PM   #8
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

who knows PJ always does things his way
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 10:36 AM   #9
Ruinel
Banned

hmmmm... if I might offer a suggestion: read the book.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 12:12 PM   #10
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Quote from Elf Girl
Quote:
There were 5 riders chasing Strider and the hobbits, and 4 waiting in ambush at the ford. I don't know why you could only see eight. I never counted.
Quote from Ruinel
Quote:
hmmmm... if I might offer a suggestion: read the book.
Yes, well having read the book more than thirty times (thanks Ruinel) I agree with Elf Girl that the Book has five riders chasing Frodo (although not Strider, Glorfindel and the hobbits, who come up behind the riders) and four waiting in ambush at the Ford who try to cut Frodo off. But in the film PJ doesn't follow the book and has apparently all the riders chasing Arwen & Frodo, so why leave just one of the nine out?

Maybe, as HobbitChick88 says, the intention was to have the Witchking ambush them at the Ford, but it was later decided to cut that out of the film. But even at the Ford there only appear to be 8 riders (thought it is hard to count them as the camera angles constantly change) and certainly, even in the extended DVD version, there is no sign of a 9th rider waiting at the Fords.
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so, with Pity."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Very well,' he answered aloud, lowering his sword. 'But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."

Last edited by LutraMage : 06-10-2003 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:59 PM   #11
Cute_Elfik
Sapling

Strider ......you are speaking true......

It was really only eight riders!!!I do not know where was the last...and it isn't all......Arwen said that five of them were something like injured and didn't follow them.Why is that!?...Or am I don't get her right!?(It is a posobility!....so don't pay attention)
And when the riders where just going where is the ring....they also were only eight!
Cute_Elfik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:03 PM   #12
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Arwen: There are five wraiths behind you. Where the other four are, I do not know...
Old 06-30-2003, 02:16 PM   #13
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I believe when they got to the fjord, the ninth joined them as he's the one who spoke and against whom the waves rose.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:35 PM   #14
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

Could be Spock, could be. It just seems strange that they didn't show him waiting, or joining with the others. Ah, I guess it will just have to remain one of life's little mysteries - unless one of you guys gets some insider information.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:51 PM   #15
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
I believe when they got to the fjord, the ninth joined them as he's the one who spoke and against whom the waves rose.
Nope. I went frame by frame. No late comers or Vikings
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-06-2003, 05:06 AM   #16
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Nope. I went frame by frame. No late comers or Vikings
Vikings in the fjord
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 06:12 AM   #17
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Vikings in the fjord
Jonathan, did you really say that?!?!?!? Groan
Old 07-08-2003, 02:14 PM   #18
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

There are nine chasing Arwen.

I very clearly remember it - the defining frame is when they chase her across the open plain, and are in triangular formation.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:54 PM   #19
Cirdan

Well, I check it frame by frame on the DVD and there are only eight.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-12-2003, 03:54 PM   #20
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
There are nine chasing Arwen.

I very clearly remember it - the defining frame is when they chase her across the open plain, and are in triangular formation.
Sorry, only eight. Count 'em yourself:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arwenchase.jpg (8.3 KB, 43 views)