Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2003, 06:40 PM   #1
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

Greek mythology

Does anybody here like it? I really like it but, I don't know much about it! So could you fill me in? All I know is medusa who has snake hair, and if you look her in the eye, she will turn you to stone

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!
gimli-son-of-gloin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 06:43 PM   #2
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

i like greek mythology too,but i'm not real familiar with it. i get it confused with roman stuff cause they're so much alike so i couldn't fill you in. i wouldn't know if i was filling you in on roman or greek.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

They're really the same. The Romans just stole the Greek mythology and pantheon and changed the names to protect the innocent.

Anyway, there's really too much to fill you in on. But I'm sure you can find a nice site on it somewhere out there.

P. S. I like it too. And Norse. And most.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:10 PM   #4
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Um, what do you mean "fill you in" on it? :P

Medusa is just one small myth interwoven into a bigger story. There are so many myths and stories that it wouldn't be practical to tell any of them in this topic.

Try looking for a website that tells the myths and goes over the gods, etc. I've always known many Greek myths, but a couple months ago for school I was required to read the VERY LONG book "Mythology" by Edith Hammilton. Good book, at times the writing boring. I suggest it though if you really want to know more about Greek Mythology. It focuses mainly on the Greek myths and gods (and roman..but of course they are the same, just different names). There is a brief section on Norse gods go thor!).

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:25 PM   #5
Gwaimir Windgem

"Mythology" by Edith Hamilton? I'm almost positive I used to have the same book a long time ago (around 7-12, I think), and loved poring over it!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-25-2003, 07:52 PM   #6
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

I love greek mythology and norse, but yeah, like people have already said its way to complex and has way better stories than could be summarized online. Have fun reading.
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:08 PM   #7
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Medusa was once a beautiful woman, her pride being her long, beatiful, golden hair. Once, she dared to compare her beauty to the beauty of the goddess Athena. For this, Athena made her so hideous that all who looked upon her were instantly turned to stone.
Quote:
They're really the same. The Romans just stole the Greek mythology and pantheon and changed the names to protect the innocent.
No, they did not. While many of the Roman's beliefs were BASED on the Greek myths, they weren't just copied. Take Aphrodite/Venus for example. The Greek Aphrodite was vain and promiscuous, while the Roman Venus was sweet and loving.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:34 PM   #8
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I'm good with greek mythology. At least the Odysses. And I like it a lot. But there's WAY too much to tell. Ask specifically what you want, and I'll see what I could do.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:35 PM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem

You mean the Odyessy (sp)? I thin Odysseus was the hero.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-25-2003, 09:53 PM   #10
Elf Girl
Lurker

I LOVE Greek mythology. My mom said I swallowed my myth books after she heard me tell the story of the Illiad in brief to my friend. ("Brief" took me half and hour- just hit the high points.)
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:56 PM   #11
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

I love any form of mythology

I have a book on japanese tales, greek myth, celtic myth, monsters all over the world.

Medusa was one of the Gorgona *if this hasn't been mentioned before* and was beautiful, but she *like many other woman in tales* decided to boast she was prettier than a goddess. Athena, to be specific, and Athena then turned her into a woman with the hair of snakes, and if anyone looked upon her, would be made into stone. The snakes is symbolic for something, can't remember what though...

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:40 PM   #12
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellyn
Medusa was once a beautiful woman, her pride being her long, beatiful, golden hair. Once, she dared to compare her beauty to the beauty of the goddess Athena. For this, Athena made her so hideous that all who looked upon her were instantly turned to stone.

No, they did not. While many of the Roman's beliefs were BASED on the Greek myths, they weren't just copied. Take Aphrodite/Venus for example. The Greek Aphrodite was vain and promiscuous, while the Roman Venus was sweet and loving.
Well, I'm no expert either, but I think that you not completely correct. Basically, the Romans did copy the exact same myths - changing only the names of the gods to make them Roman. The Romans stole other greek things such as other cultures and their style of architecture - almost identical only the Romans evolved it a bit.

The Romans were big copy cats. Sucessful ones though

The Greek/Roman versions of myths are interchangeable (as far as I know) as long as all the names are consistant with each other in each version. They are the same stories.

And every version of a myth is different - there is no "definitive" version of any myth. Its always told a tiny bit differently. I don't think that the Romans really changed much of anything, at least nothing major.

Quote:
The Greek Aphrodite was vain and promiscuous, while the Roman Venus was sweet and loving.
Well, as I said I am not expert, but I do not think this is right. Is there a particular myth in which the goddess of love is vain and promiscuous in the greek version and sweet and loving the in the roman version OF THE SAME myth?? (i dont think so :P)

Remember that the gods and godesses were not always portrayed the same in every myth. Certainly the goddess of love was portrayed in many different lights in the various myths that include her - i don't think that has anything to do with romans changing anything. Remember also different greeks wrote different myths - it wasnt one guy or a couple guys.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:47 PM   #13
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

There are some very good introductionary notes on the various Greek diety's/heroes here-

It's all Greek to me

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:50 PM   #14
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellyn
Um, they did, actually. who do you think Romans were? Mostly Greeks who moved. They completely adopted all the exact same gods, goddesses, people, and even stories. They just changed the names. Some of the Roman gods act differently than their Greek counterparts because the people viewed them differently (Romans were war people; Greeks were lovers of the arts). In Greece, Aphrodite was actually much more promiscuous but funny and nice compared to the fiery tempered, jealous Venus. I've read tales involving Venus and tales involving Aphrodite, and I've always chosen the Greek original over the Roman remakes.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:42 PM   #15
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
That's not completely true, some things yes, but there is a whole lot that is of their own authentication...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:48 PM   #16
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Well, I'm no expert either, but I think that you not completely correct. Basically, the Romans did copy the exact same myths - changing only the names of the gods to make them Roman. The Romans stole other greek things such as other cultures and their style of architecture - almost identical only the Romans evolved it a bit.
Blasphemy! While Romans did incorporate things from Greek culture into their own, they certainly did not copy exactly. In the case of mythology they formation of the typical Gods was pretty close, with name change, however the entire scheme of Roman Mythology and Greek Mythology on a whole are pretty different.

As far as Architecture, you are the furthest from the truth there. Yes some styles do naturally carry over from cultures in the same general area, however they are so not even close to being identical. If the Romans stole architecture from anyone it was from the Etruscans, who were really the Northern precursors to the Roman Empire in Northern Italy (in the area of modern day Tuscany).
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 03-25-2003 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:51 PM   #17
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I'm not as knowledgeable about Greek and Roman mythology as I used to be, and I'm a bit rusty... but I love it nonetheless. Greek and Roman culture excites me, just on the basis of all their hidden influences in our daily lives.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:53 PM   #18
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
I'm not as knowledgeable about Greek and Roman mythology as I used to be, and I'm a bit rusty... but I love it nonetheless. Greek and Roman culture excites me, just on the basis of all their hidden influences in our daily lives.
Yeah same here, those two cultures are what really drove me to study History in College. I love both of them, however I know a lot more about Rome than Greece in the whole scheme of things. I desperately want to travel to both Italy and Greece to see the old history

--Linaewen
Old 03-25-2003, 11:56 PM   #19
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Of course there are many different versions to myths. There are several different versions of the Medusa one, but the one I posted is my favorite.
Perhaps 'sweet and loving' was a little too nice. I was simply trying to show the differences between the two 'identical' goddesses.
BTW, the Roman's heritage consisted of the Greeks, the Latins, and the Carthaginians. The majority of their religious influences came from the Greeks, obviously (hence the similarities). The Greek myths were adapted and changed to fit the Romans situation and culture. They were NOT just relabeled versions of the Greek gods and goddesses. That is what I was attemping to point out. Unfortunately, my slight tendency towards exaggeration got in the way.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:19 AM   #20
Huan
Elven Warrior

HUGE fan of Greek mythology here. And Greek history, culture, etc. Took three years of ancient Greek language, he bragged. To clarify about this Roman mythology or lack thereof, the Romans indeed had very little mythology of their own because they were much like modern Americans, very pragmatic, ie. what can it do FOR ME?. They had gods, because gods were someone to pray to for a safe return on that merchant ship they'd invested in, or a plentiful harvest, or decent weather. But they had very few stories ABOUT those gods, who were, as y'all have said, quite closely related to the Greek gods (both cultures were Indo-European after all, and Italy saw a long period of Greek colonization in early years). So the Romans did indeed adopt/ appropriate/ steal the Greek stories for their already-existing gods. BUT (and I very rarely go to bat for the Romans, but here I go) the Romans did have a few myths of their own. The Romulus and Remus story for example. And some of their gods are not to be found in the Greek pantheon. Two-faced Janus, for example. (But I really prefer the Greeks overall).
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote