Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2003, 09:22 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Theoden Will TTT match FotR in Oscar Nominations???

I am just curious what everyone thinks about the Oscar Nominations this year. Do you think TTT will match the 13 nominations FotR got last year or even surpass that mark?

I think this is a tough one. I would say yes they will match it or surpass it, however the Oscar committee is so strange. The movies from this past year, in my humble opinion, sucked big time and there isn't really much competition in my eyes. However, I am hearing rumors about movies that got horrible and I mean horrible reviews that are said to be leading the way for Best Picture in the major categories amongst the so-called "movie experts".

What does everyone else think???
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:26 PM   #2
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

i think TTT will get as many or more nominations. as for the people who decide who gets nominated, they should seriously consider whether or not the movies that sucked are worth nominating.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:03 PM   #3
Huan
Elven Warrior

I think this one will be considered a "sequel" and more of an action picture than Fellowship. Thus I expect the Academy to be snobby about it. It'll get fewer nominations, and those mostly in the technical categories.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:39 AM   #4
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I think it would deserve every academy award which is available to win. But the people who decide who wins have sometimes strange opinions.
And I think this year there is competition (not for a real LOTR fan but for non-fans): Star Wars, Spider Man (in the technical area) and some other movies.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:29 PM   #5
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

No. Although this one seems to be making even more money, it's RotK that will bring in the big awards. I expect RotK will pass Titanic, and PJ will not claim to be king of the world.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
unregistered
Enting

I agree with huan, there will be less

I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel...thin, sort of...stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.
I need a holiday, a very long holiday, and I don't expect
I shall return. In fact, I mean not to.-Biblo Baggins
unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 04:42 PM   #7
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
No. Although this one seems to be making even more money, it's RotK that will bring in the big awards. I expect RotK will pass Titanic, and PJ will not claim to be king of the world
I agree to that totally. I mean, FotR was a great movie and TTT, to, but I guess that RotK will win the oscar for the best movie of the year, because it is the final conclusion of the trilogy. That would honour the first two movies too.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:23 PM   #8
Noahamir
Hobbit

Lets see:

---Nominated last year but didn't win its catgory---

1.) Best Picture - I think it will be nominated again but I doubt will win.

2.) Best Director - A lock to be nominated (Based on Director's Guild Nomination) but will lose out to Scorsese for win.

3.) Best Supporting Actor - A Real Toughie - It depends if Academy trys to be original and nominate Andy Serkis, otherwise no.

4.) Best Adapted Screenplay - A Lock to be nominated

5.) Best Art Direction - A Lock

6.) Best Editing - I think it will be nominated again based on PJ's ability to weave together three different storylines so effectively.

7.) Best Costume Design - A Lock

8.) Best Original Song - I don't see this being nominated again, no big name like Enya this time.

9.) Best Sound - A Lock

---Last Years Nominations that Won!---

10.) Best Visual Effects - A Lock (Gollum, Ents, and Helm's Deep Battle)

11.) Best Cinematography - A Lock (Rohan Landscapes)

12.) Best Makeup - A Lock (Theoden's transformation - major reason)

13.) Best Original Score - Debatable

---Possible New Nomination---

Best Sound Editing? I don't know why it wasn't nominated last year - only two spots though

Worst Case: I am guessing 11 nominations instead of 13.

Definite loss for Best Original Song nomination and I think a 50/50 Chance for Best Supporting Actor/Best Score. I think one of those won't make it.

Best Case: 13 Nominations

Only loses Best Original Song, but picks up Sound Editing
Noahamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:06 PM   #9
dawningoftime
Enting

Here are my predictions for oscar nominations:
Most of the technical awards
Best Costume
Best makeup
Best supporting actor
Best director (if Gangs of New York is nominated, it probably won't win)
Best picture
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Original Score

One thing to look forward is for the AFI awards in a couple of weeks and see how rings does.

Last edited by dawningoftime : 01-22-2003 at 10:10 PM.
dawningoftime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:15 AM   #10
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I think it is a difficult question, to say who is a supporting actor and who is a "main" actor. And there are so many actors in this movie. they should all be nominated.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:34 AM   #11
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by Noahamir
1.) Best Picture - I think it will be nominated again but I doubt will win.

4.) Best Adapted Screenplay - A Lock to be nominated

5.) Best Art Direction - A Lock

7.) Best Costume Design - A Lock

10.) Best Visual Effects - A Lock (Gollum, Ents, and Helm's Deep Battle)

11.) Best Cinematography - A Lock (Rohan Landscapes)

12.) Best Makeup - A Lock (Theoden's transformation - major reason)
Thanks for posting that list, N. I've edited it down to what I think will be the max list of nominations. I agree with what you said about Best Picture

I reckon it only has a chance of winning win Best Makeup and Visual Effects. PJ stated in an interview that he had no intention of playing the game this time as far as brown-nosing the Academy members goes. That scuppers its chances for a start. Then there's the "been-there-done-that" factor. And also the fact that the script wasn't very good.

cheers

d.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 02:17 PM   #12
Noahamir
Hobbit

Even though Peter said he is not going to smooze the Academy Members this year. I think New Line itself will try to pick up the slack and do alot of the smoozing itself. Who knows if that will be effective enough.

I also agree about the "been-there-done-that" effect, but I think it will mostly effect catagories that LOTR has already won the OSCAR, in perticular Best Score. I can see Academy Members thinking that they already awarded LOTR with an Oscar with it, why not give someone else a chance. We'll see!
Noahamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 02:21 PM   #13
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

If anyone of the acadamy has read the book and loved it, than the chances that TTT wins many oscars go down dramatically.
And isn't Christopher Lee a member of the academy? I thought he was.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:18 AM   #14
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Hey I've got oscar news for you: They are talking about nominating Andy Serkis!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 12:51 PM   #15
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Noahamir
Lets see:

---Nominated last year but didn't win its catgory---

...3.) Best Supporting Actor - A Real Toughie - It depends if Academy trys to be original and nominate Andy Serkis, otherwise no.
Now who are considered the lead actors for these movies and who are the supporting actors? Would Ian McKellen be considered a supporting role?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 12:52 PM   #16
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
...And isn't Christopher Lee a member of the academy? I thought he was.
If he is then he will definitely have to take a pass on all the catagories the movies get nominated for.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:27 PM   #17
dawningoftime
Enting

What I find interesting is that the members of the academy haven't necessarily seen the movies they're voting for. It's more about the campaigning that goes on that determines the outcome of the oscars.
dawningoftime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:37 PM   #18
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Sadly Howard Shore's score is not valid to be nominated. The Academy made a new rule that movies (like in trilogies) that have theme from a previous one can not be even nominated. And although the score of TTT is 88% new music it is still considered out of contention.

Generally I have a feeling that TTT will recieve LESS nominations this year simply because the Academy is more used to the film and the world of Middle Earth and it feels (to them) a little same ol' same ol'. The reason Fellowship power housed into the oscars with 13 nods is because it was a new thing,groundbreaking, jaw dropping and down right spunky baby. But with Towers they feel a little more used to the whole "feel" and so will lavish it less this time. I fear it will neither pick up Director (for sure) or Best Picture but will only be nominated. Art Direction, Costume Design, Sound and Editing will probably jump in as well as screenplay.

And Andy Serkis?

GO, GOLLUM, GO!

I agree that ROTK will probably win Best Picture and Director.

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:28 PM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Guys, that's not how the academy works. The LOTR trilogy is too "successful" for PJ to win best director for. It won't be until he's churned out a smaller movie, which required far less effort and talent, that he'll win best director.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:22 AM   #20
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I don't understand the decisions of the academy at all. they seem to have a strange way to nominate and choose.
By the way: Do the same peeple vote for the nominees like the ones that decided who will be nominated?