Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2003, 05:16 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Theoden Who do you think should get Oscar Nominations for TTT???

Admins/Mods, please do not delete or close this thread, I searched and this will be different than the other threads because it isn't just about Andy Serkis

Now on with the thread! Personally, I do think Andy Serkis should be nominated for his role as Gollum/Smeagol, however I think there are two other actors that should also be nominated.

Sam (Sean Astin) should definitely have a nomination. I think his performance was brilliant and really shows the true characteristics of Sam. Also his 1 1/2 minute monologue at the end was amazing. People were in tears in the theater during that, and it was great. I mean, it is one thing to recite lines, but to fill such emotion and truth into the words you are given isn't as easy as it sounds, and I think he was stellar in TTT. He certainly do wonders with Sam compared to FotR.

Grima Wormtongue (Brad Dourif) I think should also be nominated. I know his role was rather small, but I think he was the best cast actor out of the movie thus far. I truly felt he was the perfect Wormtongue, and I couldn't get over how much I felt he truly was Wormtongue. He definitely was commanding in his role and performed outstanding for who Grima is.

There are many other great actors in this movie, but I'd say out of everyone those would be my choices....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 06:26 PM   #2
Elf Girl
Lurker

I think Frodo did okay, and Aragorn was GREAT! I hope both will be nominated. (at least)

As for Wormetongue, I once saw him do truly horrific acting in a computer game, so since then I've been prejudiced against him.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:41 PM   #3
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

I think that Andy should defiently get a nomanition. Also, Sam was portrayed very well, and I do think that Elijah Wood did a good job. Also, Gimli's lines were awesome, and played very well.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:12 PM   #4
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I think Sean Astin and Andy Serkis should be nominated!!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:20 PM   #5
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Strider

I think Orlando Bloom and Viggo Mortenson should get nominated as well as Liv Tyler, Miranda Otto(Eowyn),Elija Wood and Karl Urban(Eomer). Even though some of them only have small roles I think that their betrayl of their character was excellent!!!!!!!

ORLANDO BLOOM IS SOOOOOOOOOOO HOT!!!!!!!!!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 10:13 PM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

They don't give Oscar's for looks though.......
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-12-2003, 11:06 PM   #7
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
They don't give Oscar's for looks though.......
lol wouldnt that be funny if they did! Hrm....no anyways...Andy and Sean Astin for sure, I think Sean is the total star as far as acting goes...Viggo too and maybe Elijah...and Ian...er...heck they all did a great job!
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 11:17 PM   #8
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolaslvr!
... their betrayl of their character...
Ah, now your post in the Arwen thread makes more sense to me! I think you mean portrayal. (Although I suppose some people might feel the other way!

There are so many that did a good job, it's hard to pick. And esp. since some who did so well (Eomer) had such small parts. Anyway, I doubt that it would happen, but I suppose one of these could get a Best Supporting Actor nom:
Wormtongue -- yes yes yes!
Theoden -- despite the changes made to him, the actor delivers a superb performance!
Samwise -- he does such a good job.

Elijah is doing a great job w/ Frodo, but I don't think Frodo's part is enough to get him a Best Actor nom. And I really think Gollum is done well, but despite the talk, I'll be surprised if Andy Serkis is nominated.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 11:39 PM   #9
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I don't think anyone in TTT deserves a best actor Oscar. I'm not saying they didn't do a great job, just that I don't think there were any stand out performances. In the FOTR it was easy: Ian McKellan deserved best supporting actor, but he was hardly in TTT. If I had to nominate someone, it would be Andy Serkis, but I don't know if a partly CGI character can win an Oscar. Maybe Sean Astin, because of his monologue at the end. But my favorite character in the book is Sam, so I'm probably biased. Or just give the nod to Orlando and make the fangirls happy.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 01-12-2003 at 11:40 PM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 11:48 PM   #10
Huan
Elven Warrior

I'm generally rather cynical about the Oscars. Who deserves the Academy's recognition? Lots of people. This time around, though, the cinematic achievement is not new, as it was with Fellowship, so I figure The Two Towers will sweep all the technical categories, beating Attack of the Clones in those areas, but get hardly any nods besides. Especially if Russell Crowe was in anything this year. grrr.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 06:44 PM   #11
Noahamir
Hobbit

I think the only two people that have a chance to get nominated for Best Supporting Actor are Andy Serkis and Viggio Mortenson, I think New Line will concentrate there ad campaign on them.

If New Line puts up to many actors for consideration for TTT it will weaken their chances by spreading out the nomination votes of academy members who liked TTT.

I thought everyone in the movie did a great acting job. I wish their was an Best Ensemble Cast award because TTT would win hands down.
Noahamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:09 PM   #12
entss89
lord of the ents

i think sam should because i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sam!

im a little hobbit short and stout
here is my ring evil without a doubt
when you get me hipped up
here me shout
get me to mordo as quick as you can..

if you like that song then you should visit www.lordoftherings.net!

the ents are coming
the ents are coming
watch out tower of orthanc
for your dark walls shall fall!
sauroman, sauroman
your name is not the white!
for now you are
sauroman of many colors!

a best frind does not stab u in the back...................
they stab u in the front.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:22 PM   #13
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

I think Andy Serkis could have a chance for a nomination. There was a list of people who might recieve a nomination for Best Supporting Actor in Entertainment magazine and he was on the list, and that was before TTT even came out in theaters.

Nominating Sean Astin makes sense cause I was sobbing throughout his speech. He really did a wonderful job portraying Sam.

Elijah Wood did a great job in his sudden good-evil swings. It might not be enough to get Best Actor though. It would be awesome if he did win.

I dont know if there's a nomination for best composer for a movie, or for best soundtrack, but i think TTT soundtrack deserves a nomination, or Howard Shore who wrote all the music.

Best costumes should definitely go to TTT. I really loved some of Eowyn's costumes, as well as the Uruk Hai costumes.

I'll probibly think of more later, so i might be back.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:44 PM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar1400
I dont know if there's a nomination for best composer for a movie, or for best soundtrack, but i think TTT soundtrack deserves a nomination, or Howard Shore who wrote all the music.
Yeah I think the Oscar is for Best Score and Howard Shore won it last year for FotR, so I am betting he will repeat again this year...

--Linaewen
Old 01-16-2003, 01:01 PM   #15
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Despite the fact that FOTR won best Cinematography, I honestly think The Two Towers could win it as well. It was simply amazing.

Although TTT score is great, I personally like FOTR better as brilliant as TTT is.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:20 PM   #16
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I definantly think that Andy Serkis should get something. His voice and the way he could change his character from Smeagol to Gollum and have the character for each of them was way cool. And his energy was amazing.
And if Sean doesn't get anything I'm going to have a fit. He did so WELL in TTT. He was Sam at his best. It's going to be so cool to see how he continues with it in ROTK.
I don't think that Ian M. did as good a job in TTT than in FOTR...he was mainly an action character and less kindly and warm...of course it's war time, BUT Gandalf the white was still like Gandalf the Grey in the book so that doesn't give much of an excuse.
Orlando did good too. He's doing REALLY good in portraying Legolas as a kind of aloof and yet friendly companionable character...and I must say he looked VEDDY nice on that sheild
Elijah did REALLY good in keeping his sense of balance in this one though I found his continual wandering off annoying . Ah he did good. I liked it when he got ticked off at Sam...I mean we're talking he getting a LITTLE creepy with all that stuff. I liked Viggo's performance MUCH better in TTT than in FOTR.
As for actress I would have to give Miranda a hand. Could there have been a better Eowyn? I dont think so. Her performance kind of balked in a couple of places like when she's asking for Aragorn, but as far as portraying Eowyns cool temprament and attitude she did VERY well. Liv Tyler...nah...she was just there as a kissing post and that was basically all she portrayed too.
Soundtrack should get something and if there isn't makeup or costume or best director I'm gonna kick some big hollywood butt.
Gotta go,
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 10:04 PM   #17
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Andy Serkis, no question in my mind. He absolutely was one of the most stunning performances I have ever seen.

Sean Astin also did very, very well as Samwise; his monologue was superb.

Other than that, I don't think any actors really did a stupendous job; good yeah, great yeah, but not comparable to Serkis. Course, I haven't seen it since the day it came out...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 10:40 PM   #18
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I noticed on the Lord of the Rings website (I thought thats where it was, but now I can't find it ), that they have a banner made promoting Viggo for best supporting actor...

--Linaewen
Old 02-27-2003, 07:05 PM   #19
Gaporli
Hobbit

Anything or Anybody from Lord of The Rings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gaporli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 07:52 PM   #20
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Of course everyone did excellent, but I if I had to pick one I'd say Andy. His portrayal of Gollum was incredible!

I also wish PJ would get best director.
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote