Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-28-2002, 11:22 PM   #1
Shadowfax123
Sapling

Ents

In the Two Towers book, I thought it was so sad that the Ents lost thier Ent women, and therefore the race was a dying one. Why do you think they didn't develop the Ent characters more in the movie? was it just because of time? or because no one's interested?
Shadowfax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:28 PM   #2
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Time!! Its 3 and a half hours long and thats with the whole end with the Shelob cut off!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 01:23 AM   #3
Eglantine Banks
Hobbit

not enough Ents

One of my complaints about TTT is how they short-changed the Ents. What we saw of them was pretty good but they weren't in the movie anywhere near enough, and there wasn't any character development of them. What little there was was inaccurate. Although I liked Pippin's clever idea of steering the Ents near Isengard to try to rouse them, it was totally un-Ent-like of Treebeard to decide on the spur of the moment to attack Isengard.

Lack of the Entwives discussion, lack of the list of living creatures, lack of the friendship between Merry and Pippin and Treebeard, and especially absence of the Huorns -- these all disturbed me a great deal.

The problem as I see it was not lack of time in the film. It was incorrect priorities on the part of the filmmakers. They were much more interested in making an "action" film (a sword-and-sorcery epic) than they were in depicting the special magic of Prof. Tolkien's world. The preparations for the Helm's Deep battle and the battle itself take about 45 minutes. If I'd been in charge of this movie I would have spent about 10 minutes on this. The Helm's Deep scene is simply not interesting enough -- nor important enough to the plot -- to give it so much screen time at the expense of other, more interesting parts of the story.

-Eglantine (Pippin's Mom)
Eglantine Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 01:47 AM   #4
Taurwen
Hobbit

Quote:
The problem as I see it was not lack of time in the film. It was incorrect priorities on the part of the filmmakers.
I agree, the filmmakers spent too much time on the action, and not enough on character develpment. There definately could've been some improvement there, and they should've done more with the ents, because they're really different from any of the other creatures in the books/film.
And woods of nightshade morrowless.
The Sudering Seas between them lay,
and yet at last they met once more,
And long ago they passed away
In the forest singing sorrowless.
Taurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 12:56 AM   #5
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

I really think that PJ should have put more scenes of the Ents in. The Ents in the books are awesome. I mean, a being that the Trolls came from. you know, like the Orcs are distorted Elves, Trolls are ditorted Ents? Yeah, Ents rule!

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all

Last edited by WallRocker : 01-01-2003 at 11:40 AM.
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 07:15 PM   #6
Blackboar

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I agree there should have been less action and more character development but it is hard to make a movie with 3 stories in it and develop the chracaters as well, there should have been more ents, I would of prefered more with the Oliphaunts but it was 3 and a half hours long and people that are not good fans of the book, or never read it! Would prefer a film with action. They are just trying to make it sell more!
I would love to hear about the Entwives in the film!!

Stupid Peter Jackson!!
Old 01-01-2003, 12:20 AM   #7
Kalimac
Enting

More Ents

The film was 2 hours and 59 minutes long . . perhaps if Peter Jackson had been given no time constraints he could have delivered a movie suitable for us all. I absolutely believe it was the time limitations placed on him. Hopefully, we will see scenes restored in the Special Edition showing more of Merry and Pippin and the Ents. From spoiler reports, I do know that the ent draught scene was filmed.
Kalimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

With an invented warg attack and a 45 minute battle scene with an hour build-up, one can't seriously argue that this is not a priorities issue.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 01-01-2003 at 03:00 PM.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 02:11 PM   #9
Nilore
Elven Warrior

Location: I am every where and I am no where, I am everyone and I am no-one! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
I agree!

Raise the Phial of Galadriel and let the Star Glass of Lothlorian cast out the Darkness of Shelob's Lair.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurholth!

There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and bloom of blinding flame. The whole hill was crowned with a dazzling light!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bhûl latu dûmp

Accept Your DOOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DIE MERE MORTALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh NO I AM A MERE MORTAL

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Stop the NUKE Stop the NUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nilore writes last will and testament.

Gets on knees

And begs God for Mercy.

Realizes He's already dead

Flies up to heaven ( By the power of Red Bull) and lives happily ever after. THE END

( It's a MINI adventure)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nilore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 02:51 PM   #10
Blackboar

You having Zavrons avater is annoying me Nilore

I sometimes don't bother to look at names, just avatars so I think your Zavron.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:55 PM   #11
Pippin'sGirl
Sapling

I'm hopeing there will be more about Ents on the Two Towers DVD. Treebeard mentions his house, but we don't see it, right? Hopefully, that is an allusion to what will be on the DVD.
Pippin'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 05:32 PM   #12
Kalimac
Enting

>>invented warg attack<<

Quote:
The Riders were still in the low valley before the mouth of the Coomb, when cries and hornblasts were heard from their scouts that went in front. Out of the darkness arrows whistled. Swiftly a scout rode back and reported that wolf-riders were abroard in the valley, and that a host of Orcs and Wild Men were hurrying southward from the Fords of Isen and seemed to be making for Helm's Deep.
The scene was adapted to the screen. It wasn't technically pure invention.
Kalimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 05:56 PM   #13
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

I suppose the next film will be a three hour "adaptation" of a spider fight?

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 01-01-2003 at 06:06 PM.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 08:57 PM   #14
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Treebeard

Pj seems to turn subtle things into big long things in the movie. >.< Yep, not enough ents, by far not enough...it would be like 30 min w/ Aragorn, then 20 with Sam and Frodo...wait, wheres Treebeard? Then he pops in for about one min! Treebeard got shafted in the movie...but so did alot of the other characters. :shrugs:
~ Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 01:15 PM   #15
unregistered
Enting

I was dissapointed by the ents role in the film. I wish they paid more attention to the meeting and talked about there history, but it is true, that would have taken to long.

I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel...thin, sort of...stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.
I need a holiday, a very long holiday, and I don't expect
I shall return. In fact, I mean not to.-Biblo Baggins
unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:17 PM   #16
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Entmoot's Entmoot Thread

There's been some discussion about the Ents from TTT but I don't recall seeing much written here on the Entmoot. It would be a travesty if mooters didn't weigh in on Jackson's interpretation of Tolkien's Entmoot.

Before I say anything, I will confess that I was never a big fan of the Ents in the books. One of my fears about TTT is that they would come off as a big cartoony joke and spoil the magic of FOTR. But I was pleased with the way PJ handled them. What I liked was:

1) He didn't dwell on the Ents and bog the story down. We got nice short clips--nothing was overly long.

2) He had some fun with them but he was careful not to use them strictly for comic relief.

3) Treebeard looked perfect.

4) I liked the way that PJ was able to get across the concept of the Ents slowness to act without spending a lot of screen time to do it.

The Entmoot itself was really nice. It felt right. My only suggestion would have been to have used a bigger forest clearing and added a few more ents. oops...I'm sorry--I shouldn't be so critical of PJ all the time.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:35 PM   #17
azalea
Long lost mooter

I merged your thread into the thread that already existed about ents in TTT. Now don your armour for the onslaught...
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 11:38 PM   #18
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

I loved the ents! When they march to Isenguard... Wow. Goosebumps all over.

I also start looking at random trees everywhere and imagining them with eyes.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:46 AM   #19
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

The Ents are definitely one of my favorites and I was looking forward to seeing them in the film. I wish they had shown more especially, because they cut out the Ents to show ridiculous scenes like Aragorn falling off the cliff. And why did Pippin have to show Treebeard what Saruman had done to his own forest? It's his forest and he doesn't know?

But aside from that Treebeard looked perfect, maybe a bit smaller than what I imagined, but still great. And the desruction of Isengard was awesome.

Did you know John Rhys Davis (I think it's spelled right)
was the voice of Treebeard?
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 06:19 PM   #20
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackboar
They are just trying to make it sell more...

Stupid Peter Jackson!!
I couldn't agree more.

But on-topic:

The Ents were very cool, indeed. There should have been more on them. Quickbeam, the Lore of Living Creatures, the Entwives, the Huorns...All there was was Treebeard, screwed up Entmoot, a Hobbit whom they spend much time establishing the idiocy of who suddenly proves that he's really quite clever, and Ents who are both hasty and gullible. So sad...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote