Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2002, 02:37 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

The Biggest Bald-Faced Lie of All?

Okay. Last night when I found the Extended Edition was on VHS, I called Media Play, they only had two copies left and the guy set one aside for me. But here's the rub:

Mr. Media Play Guy, thinking he was talking to some moron without a clue (okay, okay, according to some he may be right), actually had the nerve to say he has already seen all three films!!!!!! Can you believe this schmuck?

He said his friend has a cable modem and that they were able to download, over the Internet, all three films from the Wingnut Films website. Here's the funny part: He said it took them a week-and-a-half to download all three films...

Yeesh. Why do some people think they have to lie to impress strangers? We all know the third film ain't even really "in the can" yet. Besides, if there WERE downloadable films at wingnut, I bet you a dollar to a donut hole we all here at the Moot would at least have had the link for months.

Da noive of some people.......what a shmoo. I just acted astounded, said "awww cool!" at the appropriate moments, 'cause if I had been completely honest he would have sold off my copy of the Extended Edition!

LOL, the things we Tolkienites will put up with to get what we want.....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 02:43 PM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That's pretty funny, bropous! And I would have done the same thing - "Ok, yeah, uh-huh, just GIMME MY DVD!"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:59 PM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Wow! He saw the current form of ROTK already? Man, I wish I could spend a week and a half downloading unfinished, untextured animatics!
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:06 AM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You know, here in New Zealand we have those type of people. They're called Dick Smith Electronics employees....
Old 11-15-2002, 12:46 AM   #5
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
You know, here in New Zealand we have those type of people. They're called Dick Smith Electronics employees....
LOL!

I had to walk around a hot shopping centre looking for the FOTR video. I had these sandals on and the strap broke, and now I have blisters on my feet. The things I put up with.......

What a moron, Bropus! Downloading all three from the official Wingnut site? PJ would kill them!
Old 11-15-2002, 08:08 AM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Did you milk it at all? "Wow! You're kidding! That is so awesome? What was RoTK like? What happened when the Gollum fell in the (spoiler)? "
Old 11-19-2002, 09:45 PM   #7
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

I would have done that too!!

Anything to get that DVD!
Old 11-20-2002, 10:29 AM   #8
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

hanging is too good for them there people !
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 12:59 AM   #9
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

I would have been going "Yep, wow, really?" that whole time then the moment I had the DVD in my grubby little paws I would have told him exactly how impossible that is! Whee, that'd be fun!
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 08:53 AM   #10
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Ive just had the work place know - it - all in my office looking at my screen saver and hes just informed me he can get TTT pirate dvd - Im not sure which bit of " no you cant you dickhead " he didnt understand, but after repeatedly laughing and calling him a Grishnak, he left my office in a huff ! Like I say hanging is too good for them !
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 11:35 AM   #11
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

Strider

i would say, "can i just have the DVD?!" but, call me crazy if u want, i like waiting for the movies to come out rather than download them & watch them. Why? Because i like to imagine what the next film would be like!
*everyone stares at me* "crazy person..."
oh well...
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:15 PM   #12
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I would kill to get RotK! I would love to see that movie now but
I woud only tell people I trusted otherwise everyone would want to see it! Besides some people just wouln't believe you.
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 04:09 AM   #13
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

If you really want to know what happens, read the book!

And anyway, it doesn't take a week and a half to download a movie with a cable modem. Good story Bropus.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 09:36 PM   #14
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

My cousin's cousin appears to have ordered TTT on the internet. I said to the cousin that told me that I would believe it when I saw it. He seemed pretty confident however. Should I be worrying?

EDIT: Lookee that, 400th post!

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!

Last edited by Claenoic : 11-28-2002 at 09:56 PM.
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 06:43 PM   #15
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Actually I'd have led him on with false info, eg:

So how did the huge dog monster look like that Frodo encounters?

or...

What was the battle between Sauron and Gandalf like? Did the Balrogs join in or what?

And then laugh in the pathetic fool's face.
Seriously, I'd go out of my way to ridicule the sad git. People like that deserve it.

Personally, I bet ROTK looks like a dog's dinner at the moment, and the chances of anyone having bothered to string it all together in a format is fairly remote.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:45 PM   #16
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Claenoic
My cousin's cousin appears to have ordered TTT on the internet. I said to the cousin that told me that I would believe it when I saw it. He seemed pretty confident however. Should I be worrying?
Yes - worrying that people will lie so blatantly just to try to get a perceived 'one up' on someone else.

Or, even funnier, he could have thought he'd done it legitimately, then he gets sent a pile of any old cack after the place he's ordered the DVD from has cleaned out his account.

Apparently some people need to learn the hard way...
Old 11-29-2002, 10:11 PM   #17
Nunc
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
ROFL - of course being just across the water from you, we have plenty of the schmucks here too in Oz...
Nunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 10:36 PM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You have my sympathy. I had not realised the evil had spread that far.

There's probably some credit in there being a hack of TTT out there somewhere, but ROTK? Doubtful.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:49 AM   #19
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

LOL, yes evil has spread here. I went to DSE, looking for a DVD player and they had TWO in my price range. And some dopey looking employee who wore a suit that didn't fit and who looked like he was 13 asked us if we wanted assistance. But I digress, I doubt the ROTK is anywhere near finished, they might even need to film some more scenes. TTT was only finished a few months ago, wasn't it?
Old 11-30-2002, 03:12 AM   #20
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Indeedy - I seem to recall that even as recently as a few months ago they said they'd only built the Shelob monster and hadn't started animating her yet.

THere;s still a whole year of post-production / effects etc. (along with the inevitable reshooting of old stuff / new footage that PJ will want to do in the time). While not as PP obsessed as say, the new SW films, it's still the difference between blue screen here there and everywhere, and an actual coherent visual treat.