Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2003, 07:03 PM   #1
kiwi
Elven Warrior

Strider gollums 2 faced personality

for those who have seen TTT what do u think of the way the animators of gollum/smeagol's arguments had been created?
I thought it was really good and a bit funny because at one point he had a mean,evil lookin face and was speakin like a horrible nasty creature called Gollum and then at another point he was a sensitve, big eyed hobbit called Smeagol.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

The portrayal of Gollum was one of the highlights of TTT. And the scene in which he is arguing with himself was a brilliant job of showing the conflict within.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:13 PM   #3
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

A brilliant portrayal of Gollum vs. Sméagol by Andy Serkis!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:16 PM   #4
kiwi
Elven Warrior

Strider

i toally agree! i thought it was excellent and funny! my friends thought so too!
Old 01-18-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
ElfArianwen
Sapling

Question:
Am I the only one on this forum who is terrified of Gollum?
My friends laugh at me because of it and even I can't figure it out. The war/fight scenes don't bug/gross me out, but GOLLUM FREAKS ME OUT!!!!!!
-Ari-the-weird-one-who-is-afraid-of-Gollum...and penguins
Pippin: We've had one, yes, but what about second breakfast.
*Aragorn begins walking again*
Merry:I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin: What about elevensies, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper? Does he not know about them, too?
*Aragorn throws two apples.*

Last edited by ElfArianwen : 01-18-2003 at 07:30 PM.
ElfArianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:30 PM   #6
kiwi
Elven Warrior

Strider

one of my friends who is 18 thinks that too! But I'm not sure why?! Ah well never mind.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:40 PM   #7
ElfArianwen
Sapling

That makes me feel better...but less special! Tell your friend I sympathize with them.
Pippin: We've had one, yes, but what about second breakfast.
*Aragorn begins walking again*
Merry:I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin: What about elevensies, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper? Does he not know about them, too?
*Aragorn throws two apples.*
ElfArianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:46 PM   #8
kiwi
Elven Warrior

Strider

k
i will do!
Old 01-18-2003, 07:54 PM   #9
Elf Girl
Lurker

I thought the Gollum/Smeagol thing was way to funny. People in the audience were too busy laughing to realize the significance of that scene.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #10
kiwi
Elven Warrior

Strider

yeah i guess.............but i still think it was really good!
Old 01-18-2003, 07:59 PM   #11
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

You might want to take a look at this thread:

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...&threadid=6783

and this one:

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...&threadid=6904

They have info on Gollum that you might find interesting
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:59 PM   #12
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Elf Girl, there were folks laughing in the audience when I saw it too. But I was incredibly moved and felt pity for the creature.

(Of course, last year as we were walking out after FOTR, there were angry people talking about what a stupid way that was to end a movie. )

ElfArianwen, though I feel pity for the creature, I'm also incredibly creeped out by him.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 09:13 PM   #13
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

Gollum

I thought they did a wonderful job in that scene! However, some people that i went with to see TTT seemed to think that there were two of gollum. It took me a while to explain that there were 2 personalities, but really, there weren't 2.

(Gollum did freak me out @ first, but then I got used to him )

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:31 PM   #14
ugo
Sapling

The Gollum scenes (particulary the major smeagol/gollum conflicts) were no doubt some of the most memorable moments of the film. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they become a celebrated, oft quoted, repeated and parodied cinematic moment. Similar to all the famous Starwars quotables.

Its scary just how many people I see doing gollum impressions nowadays. And really BADLY at that.

Gollum has always been my favourite character in the rings saga. So regardless of all the contraversial changes made the fact that he was well portrayed just about forgives everything else. My only minor quibbles were with the limitations of the CGI skin effects (always one of the hardest textures and there were a couple of times it didn't look quite right), and I thought the eyes were a little too much on the freakishly, disturbingly large side. But maybe that was the point.

Take notes George Lucas. That's how you intergarte a completely CG animated character into a live action film without turning your fan base against you.
ugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 11:28 PM   #15
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

I really loved the Gollum Vs. Smeagol debates! I thought they did it very well - like the one where they use one angle for Smeagol and a slightly different one for Gollum. Really well done.
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 11:55 AM   #16
kiwi
Elven Warrior

Strider

one of my friends asked me if there was two of him or if it was just the camera. when i told her she still wasn't that sure about it
Old 01-19-2003, 12:03 PM   #17
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by ugo
I thought (Gollum's) eyes were a little too much on the freakishly, disturbingly large side. But maybe that was the point.
It was the point--and quite logical. The eyes were "disturbingly large" because Smeagol lived in near total darkness for 500 years. They grew in size to adjust to the darkness.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 12:12 PM   #18
kiwi
Elven Warrior

Strider

cool!
I learn some thing new everyday!
Old 01-19-2003, 12:46 PM   #19
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Thank you, kiwi.

That is my mission: To guide lost Tolkien purists to The Light.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 01:51 PM   #20
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
I thought the Gollum/Smeagol thing was way to funny. People in the audience were too busy laughing to realize the significance of that scene.
I also laughed at that scene, it was just too funny. That does not mean I didn't notice the importance of the scene. It was very moving. The scene where Smeagol is captured by Faramir's men and Gollum creeps back into him is immensely tragic. Your time in freedom was short, Gollum.
Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
That is my mission: To guide lost Tolkien purists to The Light.
You may have a life-long quest there BB, at least with me.