Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2002, 11:42 AM   #1
zavron
Chieftain of The Order of The Blue Flame

shelob

is shelob one of the great spiders in the forest of mirkwood. because they are both described as the same

zavron
zavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:28 PM   #2
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

They are all descendants of Ungoliant, Melkor's ally/ememy in the first age. Shelob has been living in the Cirith Ungol from very acient times, and likely has not been to Mirkwood. A passage about her (last child of Ungoliant) likley means that she is a first generation child of Ungoliant, although "child" is sometimes used in the sense of descendant.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:35 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Shelob was the last child of Ungoliant. The Spiders of Mirkwood are the offspring of Shelob and Spiders she met in the southern reaches of the Shadowy Mountains. Each appears to be smaller than the last.

The answer to your question is "no". Shelob never lived in Mirkwood, so far as is known. She was born in a place in Beleriand called Nan Dungortheb, the "Valley of Dreadful Death". Sometime after the First Age she came to live in the Shadowy Mountains on the border of Mordor and her offspring removed to Mirkwood.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 09-24-2002 at 08:37 PM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 08:53 AM   #4
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

I don't think she was.Bilbo killed one(spider from Mirkwood) easily, but Sam didn't have such a easy time with Shelob. SHelob was Ungoliant's child.
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 12:21 PM   #5
zavron
Chieftain of The Order of The Blue Flame

they were

they were the offspring. I dont know why they weren't as strong as their mother maybe they were inbred and shelob cast them away. Plus it was easier to kill the spiders in the forest because there was some light and bilbo had more room to run about when frod o was in a pitch black cramped tunnel in the side of a cliff.
zavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 01:16 PM   #6
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't know that!!!

But then i don't know much!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 06:19 PM   #7
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Cool, I never thought about the spiders in Mirkwood being related to Shelob....
Old 12-17-2002, 09:29 AM   #8
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
They were related, but not very closely. Ungoliant, I believe, gave rise to all spiders and Shelob was a little further up the food chain.

Ungoliant => Shelob => Mirkwood Spiders => today's spiders.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:02 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

ok sorry for reviving this old thread but is it true Tolkien was very arachnaphobic and this is why so many of his most vile hidious monsters were spiders?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:12 PM   #10
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Actually, I don't think that normal spiders were nescessarily bad or descendants of ungoliant, any more than normal wolves are bad or evil like the wargs.

Remember, shelob was an evil spirit in spider form. That doesn't mean the spider form itself is evil.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:22 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I don't understand why I keep getting email notifications to this thread when I have never posted to it, but anyway, I agree with Wayfarer here. The great spiders of Middle-earth like Ungoliant and Shelob were maiar I believe, in spider form.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:58 PM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I don't understand why I keep getting email notifications to this thread when I have never posted to it,
well now youve gone and done it

Quote:
but anyway, I agree with Wayfarer here. The great spiders of Middle-earth like Ungoliant and Shelob were maiar I believe, in spider form.
...yes yes but what Im saying is I read somewhere and have heard on at least several occasions that in real life Tolkien was very arachnaphobic and I was just wondering if anyone could in fact verify this and perhaps this may have translated into his writing by having such hidious creatures like Ungoliant and Shelob and all the spiders in Mirkwood be so horrible and scary and demonic. I mean why ALL spiders? Why not have some snakes too? Or bats? Or centipedes? Or I dont know giant killer bees or something. Maybe spiders generated the most fear and disgust in Tolkien so he used this as a literary tool in his books... who knows....

Now as to the point of Ungoliant being a maiar well Ive always had issues with just what the heck Ungoliant was. I wont get into my wild theories here I dont think Ungoliant was your common every day giant evil killer spider maiar. No she was special Shutting up now...

Old 01-15-2003, 08:06 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
well now youve gone and done it
Ha ha! Well since I was getting the notifications anyway, I figured I might aswell put my 2 cents in.

As for Tolkien having a fear of spiders, I have never heard that, and I think Tolkien's works are packed full of other nasty critters. I don't recall anything about insects though.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:16 PM   #14
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
Shelob was the last child of Ungoliant. The Spiders of Mirkwood are the offspring of Shelob and Spiders she met in the southern reaches of the Shadowy Mountains.
*pictures a male spider approaching Shelob at a singles' bar and asking her to dance .... *

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 09:06 PM   #15
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
*pictures a male spider approaching Shelob at a singles' bar and asking her to dance .... *
...eew!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 12:15 PM   #16
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I read in a biography that Tolkien was bitten by a spider when he was a kid (when he lived in South-Africa).
Old 01-16-2003, 12:40 PM   #17
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
I read in a biography that Tolkien was bitten by a spider when he was a kid (when he lived in South-Africa).
yes! thats the kind of thing i was referring to. would love to read that biography. and the spiders in africa can eat small dogs so it must have been a horrible experience for a child.

Old 01-17-2003, 03:36 PM   #18
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
They were related, but not very closely. Ungoliant, I believe, gave rise to all spiders and Shelob was a little further up the food chain.

Ungoliant => Shelob => Mirkwood Spiders => today's spiders.

There were also other large spiders in the mountainsof Mordor. They were huge but not quite as large as the Mirkwood spiders. The Mordor mountain spiders were also Shelob's offspring And I do believ that "todays spiders" or normal spiders, probably existed back then as well.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:49 PM   #19
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lollypopgurl
Cool, I never thought about the spiders in Mirkwood being related to Shelob....
Yeah, that's a pretty cool idea!

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:14 PM   #20
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
why ALL spiders? Why not have some snakes too? Or bats? Or centipedes? Or I dont know giant killer bees or something.
Let's see... Giant Wolves maybe? Or Maiar in the form of Bats? Giant mutant Lizards that breath fire? Multi tentacled things in the water? Flying Beasts? Biting Flies with the red eye mark? Bees the size of a man's thumb?

Come on, what do you want, now?