Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-17-2002, 11:00 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Martial arts: every thing thread

I'm back in Asia again for awhile. And I've been downing all the Kung Fu movies /Tv shows that I can

Does anyone here recall the UFC? ( ultimate fighting championships)

For those who don't it was a n event ( several ) in which it was a "no holds barred" multi martial arts competion. Basically all the punching, kicking arts were all crushed by grapplers.

Do you think martial arts makes people over confindent

I was watching some lady who had taken tae bo and said some insane remark like nobody had better mess with her.

I noticed that posters here said some similar things on what if they were suddenly transported into ME that recreational fencing would make them suddenly profiencient warriors

just the first thoughts

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 05:38 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Re: Martial arts: every thing thread

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Do you think martial arts makes people over confindent
Yes. And it's completely absurd. In a lot of ways, a young female is better off not knowing the basic defence skills, and being a little more wary, as opposed to doing self defence/martial arts and developing a complete sense of false confidence. I did Tae Kwon Do for a few years when I was younger, and got up to blue belt (I should start it again), and I remember being a cocky little shite! Now of course, I realise that no matter what profficiency I am, there will always be someone bigger/better than me, that can take me out. And it is with this realisation, that probably makes me more likely to stay safe, as opposed to having *some* defence knowledge.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:13 PM   #3
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yeah...

Something that's pretty funny is that, even though I'm badly out of shape and have never taken any martial arts whatsoever, people Phear me.

But likewise, I've met the type of people you describe.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:56 PM   #4
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Yes i think it probably does make ppl too cocky, although i'm glad that i know the small bit of kickboxing that i do. I'm quite aware that i stand no chance against anyone on the street though!

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:28 PM   #5
Starlite
Sapling

Speaking as a Mom of a Kung Fu student.....

I do see some "over confidence" in early students. However, my son, who's been taking classes since he was 5 (he's 10 now). Doesn't have that about him. In fact, he's more afraid to get into a fight, because he KNOWS what he can do to another person. We're lucky, because the school he attends (run by World Champion Karl Romain) teaches the students how to handle "street" situations but most importantly as part of the creed goes: "I must fight, only to protect myself or the lives of others". Especially, with the younger students, they emphasize that their Kung Fu is not an excuse to kick butt around school, but a discipline and a way of life.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:04 AM   #6
mirrille
Elven Warrior

As someone with very little sports experience and just started dabbling in kung fu in university and isn't very good...well...actually quite terrible.
I'd say it's more humbling than anything.
Maybe one day I'll be as good as the people I see...but only if I work at it for YEARS.
They are so graceful... One day I will have that much poise.
The style I started with isn't a combat style though. It's more performance style. It's very beautiful.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 02:13 AM   #7
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
The style I started with isn't a combat style though. It's more performance style. It's very beautiful
is it Wu Shu ?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 07-22-2002, 03:46 AM   #8
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Why yes it is.
I like it because it is so elegant...um...when done properly. Not the way I do it. The way I do it is an insult to all of wushu.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:07 AM   #9
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

I think you're right.

But still, at X-mas im starting Ninjutsu! N'yah!

I think i'll try not to be confident to prove you wrong!

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 03:25 PM   #10
Rand
Hobbit

Location: I port around from day to day. Who knows where I will be now?
I don't need karaty. I have the one power. *wraps you all up in solidifyed air* j/k

I took karaty for a while. Yes it make me cocky as anything but I think that if I took it again I would be better about that. I really don't think that it should be taught to "little kids" though (starlit your son sounds like the most mature 10 year old I have ever heard of though.). Why? becuase little kids cant understand the maturity part of karaty. they just want to kick butt.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, and Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neather beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning...
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 04:06 PM   #11
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I used to take karate when I was about seven, though I quit because it wasn't that much fun anymore (no more musical chairs ), but I did get my picture in the paper. My class never got a chance to get cocky, mainly because our parents and siblings were watching us and some of the moves we were taught were a bit absurd. So our wonderful brothers and sisters laughed a lot during the practice and we never felt especially cocky about our abilities.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:08 PM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
But still, at X-mas im starting Ninjutsu!
I'm not sure I believe you.

I seem to recall that there's only one or two authentic ryu's still in existance... and they don't take many pupils.

But if you are... wow.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:21 PM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Mirrile

its nice to know that you are aware that your are is not a fighting art.

what weapons forms if any do you practice?

If given the chance I would study staff, kwan do, and straight sword. I used to love double broad sword. The straight sword seemed to "feminine" to me until Crouching tiger, hidden dragon.

The way chow yun fat (lei mu bai) wielded that weaopn in that movie was beautiful

anyway since i seem to have gotten the job in Japan. I might spend my summers in China.

Ninjutsu ...umm I'm QUITE skeptical

'Dern Helm"

Old 07-24-2002, 01:15 AM   #14
Rand
Hobbit

Location: I port around from day to day. Who knows where I will be now?
Actualy I would kind of like to take it again.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, and Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neather beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning...
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 10:48 PM   #15
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I've never taken any kind of martial arts before. In fact, the closest I've come to martial arts is humming along with "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas. I used to want to take some kind of karate or something back when Ninja Turtles were popular and I was about 6 or 7. I've pretty much given up hope of learning anything, since my interest has waned in recent years.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 05:56 PM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

A.E. skeptical? Hmmmm

I've studied Ninjitsu since 1983. Been there, done that and met most everyone there is to meet. It's real, it's historic and useful doesn't even begin to describe it.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:13 AM   #17
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I've been doing martial arts steadily since I was eight, and I've been exposed to it since I was four. My father and I (my sister used to) train under a student of George Dillman (and a whole bunch of other guys...heh). Yeah, I've been cocky about it before, but now that we've started sword work a lot of that has changed, since I simply cannot do it for the life of me. Most of the young MALES in my class are a heck of a lot cockier (and downright obnoxious) than the few females we do have.
Hmm...I say martial arts because we do a lot of different styles, some I don't know the names of. A lot of jujitsu, some tae kwan do, a lot of karate, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Stupid bokkan stuff. I keep hitting myself in the legs and whatnot. I almost sent my sword flying across the gym where we hold class, but I caught the very tip of it...yeep. I really do not like weapons work.

I'm also pretty sick of the eleven year old black belt who thinks he's better than me. (ooh, cockiness coming out). His moves are really sloppy, and he tries to hard for speed when he should be working on technique. Not that I'm anywhere near perfect on anything we do.

And I think more females should take some form of a self defence class AND heighten their self awareness. Martial arts isn't just about fighting (we actually aren't allowed to say that in my class, it's 'self defense') and breaking boards. We have tenets that we have to say at the beginning of class, and we're expected to follow them.

Quote:
I was watching some lady who had taken tae bo and said some insane remark like nobody had better mess with her.
::rolls around laughing:: That is so sad it's funny. Tae bo? ::snerk::

Last edited by Starr Polish : 07-28-2002 at 01:15 AM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 08:19 AM   #18
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

You're not allowed to say it's not about fighting? What is the reason or is it a dictate from the unenlightened.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:22 AM   #19
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
A.E. skeptical? Hmmmm

I've studied Ninjitsu since 1983. Been there, done that and met most everyone there is to meet. It's real, it's historic and useful doesn't even begin to describe it.
Still doubtful of AUTHENTIC Ninjitsu as I am about Hwarang Do and Shaolin

'Dern Helm"

Old 07-28-2002, 01:47 PM   #20
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I take kickboxing but i know very little about real martial arts. what are the differences between karate tae kwon do, jujitsu etc?? i feel so uneducated!

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote