Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-12-2003, 03:39 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Greatest Accomplishments Thread...

Ok, last night I read a passage in Unfinished Tales that made me think of what a great accomplishment this one act was. So with that I thought that a thread by a character in any Tolkien work or what have you would be a neat thread to have

Post your favorites or even those that you simply find amazing.

Here is the one I read last night:

Quote:
From Unfinished Tales; IV The Hunt for the Ring: (ii) Other Versions from the Story:

But when Sauron learned of Gollum's capture by his enemies the situation was drastically changed. When and how this happened cannot of course be known for certain. Probably long after the event. According to Aragorn Gollum was taken at nightfall on February 1st. Hoping to escape detection by any of Sauron's spies he drove Gollum through the north end of the Emyn Muil, and crossed Anduin just above Sarn Gebir. Driftwood was often cast up there on the shoals by the east shore, and binding Gollum to a log he swam across with him, and continued his journey noth by tracks as westerly as he could find, through the skirts of Fangorn, and so over Limlight, then over Nimrodel and Silverlode through the eaves of Lórien, and then on, avoiding Moria and Dimrill Dale, over Gladden until he came near the Carrock. There he crossed Anduin again with the help of the Beornings, and passed into the Forest. The whole journey, on foot, was not much short of nine hundred miles, and this Aragorn accomplished with weariness in fifty days, reaching Thranduil on the twenty-first of March.
First of all it's one thing to go 900 hundred miles on foot, but to do it in 50 days is unbelievable! That is an average of 18 miles per day for 50 straight days! Of course that doesn't account for any obstacles he faced and don't forget he had Gollum with him the whole time!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 05:52 PM   #2
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Greatest Accomplishments Thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
First of all it's one thing to go 900 hundred miles on foot, but to do it in 50 days is unbelievable! That is an average of 18 miles per day for 50 straight days!
Methinks he wasn't called Strider for nothing
Old 11-12-2003, 06:00 PM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Yeah - I once did a 20 mile (~32 km) hike in Boy Scouts. Did OK - but was certainly footsore... and can't imagine getting back up to do it 49 more times! And to have to drag Gollum along...

And I was like 15, 16 then... and skinny! (MUCH less weight on the feet!)

Actually - a true-to-life one: Daniel Boone once made an escape from Indians and traveled 160 miles in 4 days, to warn the other settlers. Uh... that gets OT though, right? And HE didn't have to drag Gollum either!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:02 PM   #4
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

From The Silmarillion
Quote:
Then Turgon took the counsel of Hurin and Huor, and summoning all that remained of the host of Gondolin and such of Fingon's people as could be gathered he retreated towards the Pass of Sirion...But the Men of Dor-lomin held the rearguard, as Hurin and Huor desired; for they did not wish in their hearts to leave the Northlands, and if they could not win back to their homes, there they would stand to the end. Thus was the treachery of Uldor redressed; and OF ALL THE DEEDS OF WAR THAT THE FATHERS OF MEN WROUGHT IN BEHALF OF THE ELDER, THE LAST STAND OF THE MEN OF DOR-LOMIN IS MOST RENOWNED.
So it was that Turgon fought his way southward, until coming behind the guard of Hurin and Huor he passed down Sirion and escaped; and he vanished into the mountains and was hidden from the eyes of Morgoth. But the brothers drew the remnant of the Men of the house of Hador about them, and foot by foot they withdrew, until they came behind the Fen of Serech, and had the stream of Rivil before them. There they stood and gave way no more.
Then all the hosts of Angband swarmed against them, and they bridged the stream with their dead, and encircled the remnant of Hithlum as a gathering tide about a rock. There as the sun westered on the sixth day, and the shadow of Ered Wethrin grew dark, Huor fell pierced with a venomed arrow in his eye, and all the valiant Men of Hador were slain about him in a heap; and the Orcs hewed their heads and piled them as a mound of gold in the sunset.
Last of all Hurin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed, and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered, and each time that he slew Hurin cried: "Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!" Seventy times he uttered that cry"
Imagine the orc arguments.
"Okay, you go first, I'll cover you."
"No, you go first!"
"No. no. You get the honor."

"All right people, we need seventy volunteers. Come on, it's only one guy. Don't make me tell Gothmog!"

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 11-12-2003 at 10:34 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 09:00 PM   #5
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Well, the Crossing of the Helcaraxë by the host of the Noldor, led by Fingolfin, Galadriel and Finrod was pretty amazing, as was Maedhros' feat of hnging by his hand for years and years.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:40 AM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Hurin's must have been pretty demoralizing. I picture the orcs doing the piling while the fighting is going on. Can you imagine... each time one of your mates is taken down, his head is knocked off and thrown onto a pile right at hand.

Uh... I guess I'm just here to provide commentary!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:19 PM   #7
Keith K
Elf Lord

I think that the greatest accomplishment and most marvelous feat was that which was achieved by two ordinary hobbits. From the time they crossed Anduin to very Door of Doom, Frodo and Sam faced perils that they were not trained for. They did not have a martial background or any battle skills. They did not have Elf Lords or powerful kings of Men to back them up - even in defeat. They were alone and they almost single handedly reduced the entire military structure of the most powerful military force in Middle Earth - into a pile of rubble! As an aside to this I would like to volunteer Gollum for consideration here too. He achieved amazing things all on his own as well.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:01 PM   #8
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

On that same note, I think that Sam putting up with frodo's whining all the time was a pretty good feat in itself
Old 11-20-2003, 12:30 PM   #9
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
On that same note, I think that Sam putting up with frodo's whining all the time was a pretty good feat in itself
Sounds like you are thinking of Peter Jackson's Frodo, not Tolkien's.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:33 PM   #10
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

Actually, I thought that they were both kinda whiny, though J does overdo it.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:19 PM   #11
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
Well, the Crossing of the Helcaraxë by the host of the Noldor, led by Fingolfin, Galadriel and Finrod was pretty amazing, as was Maedhros' feat of hnging by his hand for years and years.
In the case of Maedhros, I suppose he didn't have much of a choice. Though I suppose it's quite amazing that he managed to stay sane hanging there year in, year out.