Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2002, 02:48 PM   #1
Darth Tater
The man

Memento Was Robbed!!!

Of course I'm pissed LOTR didn't win, but that's Hollywood, they're fickle. Ian Mckellen is a god (even if he's dating a guy who could be his grandson), but that's not what's got me really pissed either. What I'm absolutely furious about is that Memento didn't win for Editing!

Most inovative editing ever. Simple as that. Any faith I had in the Academy after the ****py Titanic swept the Oscars is now completely gone. Not recognizing a movie that has taken the editing medium to a level no one could possibly have imagined is by far the worst mistake in Oscar history. Absolute travesty and tragedy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #2
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I agree, as always. I haven't seen Black Hawk Down, but in Black Hawk Down did the editing give a great sense of discovery every scene? Was the editing the most original ever? Was the editing the essence of the movie? It must have been, if it beat Memento.

Worst Decision Ever!
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 05:08 PM   #3
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I agree: Memento should have got it.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 06:01 PM   #4
aldesign
Elven Warrior

sorry to dissapoint u guys,
but yes BHD did have very good editing from loads differnet camera angles. Very well put together.

However.. i havent seen this Memento Film ur on about, so i cant compare.

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:09 PM   #5
Darth Tater
The man

Multiple angles and lots of cuts do not good editing make. And even if they did it couldn't touch Memento. The essence of the film is the editing, and that's never been done before
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 03:12 AM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I completely agree! Memento's editing was very unique, and definitely deserved that award.

On the other hand, Black Hawk Down is a war movie, and with the way things are in the US right now, I'm not surprised it won some things it shouldn't.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 04:43 PM   #7
Comic Book Guy

Quote:
On the other hand, Black Hawk Down is a war movie, and with the way things are in the US right now, I'm not surprised it won some things it shouldn't.
What should Americans view of the current war have to do with editing in a movie?
Old 03-31-2002, 01:43 AM   #8
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I agree - I was surpised Memento didn't win for editing. I haven't seen Black Hawk Down - but the editing for Memento WAS THE movie, it's what kept you tied to your seat.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:19 PM   #9
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy

What should Americans view of the current war have to do with editing in a movie?
It shouldn't have anything to do with it. That's the point.

Pearl Harbor also won an undeserved award. I saw that movie, and it sucked. Badly. Why did it win? War movie. Just my opinion, but there it is.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Last edited by FrodoFriend : 03-31-2002 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:20 PM   #10
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I haven't seen Memento. I haven't seen Black Hawk Down, either. Oh, well.

FrodoFriend, you're female, right? I do believe that you are the first female I have heard say that they didn't like Pearl Harbor. I think one reason I was so disgruntled with it is that I went in expecting Saving Private Ryan and got a 3-hr long soap opera that was totally predictable.

***WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW***

Another beef I have with it is this: it was entirely too long. I would have had one of them die at the attack on Pearl Harbor, had the surviving one get the girl, name it after the dead one, and cut out the last hour and the Doolittle Raid altogether. I actually enjoyed it up until Raef got shipped to Britain. After that it got too predictable. Me and my friends knew that he was going to "die", Josh Hartnett would get the girl, one of them would die, name the kid after the dead one, and live happily ever after. Sheesh. Ticks me off.

Ok. I'm done now. Carry on about Memento.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 11:45 PM   #11
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Yeah, Khamul, I'm female. That movie was terrible. The minute Ben Affleck got shipped off to England you could tell exactly what was going to happen. Two hours of mushy, predictable romance, and one hour of meaningless explosions. What a disappointment, and an insult to movie-goers besides!

Old 04-01-2002, 02:59 AM   #12
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

The editing in Black Hawk Down was great. I don't know how it compared to Memento, though, seeing as I haven't seen it. Yet another movie I should see. . .

I didn't even bother seeing Pearl Harbor; it looked bad. You even had to slog through an hour of boring romance before getting to the explosions, which certainly don't make a good movie anyway...well, I did read the reviews...there! Another girl who didn't like Pearl Harbor--except that I haven't seen it. Never mind. I'm sure I would have hated it if I had. Anyway, back to the people who have seen Memento and can therefore stay on subject...

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 10:01 PM   #13
Comic Book Guy

If anybodys interested, the offical Memento website gives away some information to the fate of Lenny.

The Memento Website
Old 04-10-2002, 12:42 AM   #14
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

As much as Memento deserved to win Original Screenplay over the ambitious but overwrought and convoluted Gosford Park... I'm not sure about Editing. As clever as the film was structured, editing goes beyond overall macroscopic structure and right down to the composition of and transition between shot after shot. Some of those flash cuts that left certain clues as to the solution revealed in the end of the film were clever... but my pick for this award would have gone straight to Moulin Rouge! for its rhythm, excitement and hyperkinetic atmosphere.

And Christopher Nolan and Joe Pantoliano were completely ignored for Director and Supporting Actor... sigh...

Can't say it was a surprise though. Newmarket didn't have any marketing campaign, and campaigning is an indispensable part of a big event such as the Oscars. Independent film is still getting shafted here. And on a similar note, if they wanted to recognize two independent films, why In The Bedroom and Gosford Park in the face of the far superior Memento and Amélie - or at an extreme stretch, even The Man Who Wasn't There and Mulholland Drive?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote