Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2002, 03:49 PM   #1
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Treebeard Has Gandalf Been Robbed???!!!

Ok, two Gandalf movie things:

What happened to Gandalf's hat? When they where in the room with Balin's tomb, Gandalf gave his hat and staff to Pippin while he picked up the book. Then, when Pippin knocked the skeleton into the well, he snatched them back. I think that when they were fleeing to the Bridge of Khazad-Dum he had his hat. But, when he fought the Balrog ( boo!) he didn't have it! What happened? Did it go *poof*?

My Mum wants to know where Gandalf got his staff after being imprisoned by Saruman. When Gandalf was captured, Saruman took his staff from him and he didn't have it when he jumped onto the back of Gwaihir. But when he reached Rivendell, he had it! Do u think they have a warehouse somewhere full of wizard staffs? Or did it go *poof* in Orthanc and disapears and go *poof* in Rivendell and reappear?

Finally, I just wanna say the the movie was great and that I could hardly fault Ian McKellen as Gandalf at all

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 05:27 PM   #2
Earenya
Elven Warrior

**In the cave-troll scene in Moria, you see Gandalf actually throw the hat aside (after grabbing it back from Pippin) as Boromir, Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn guard the door, preparing to fight. He does not have the hat as they flee to the Bridge of Khazad-Dum, either in the hall or on the steps.
The staff thing threw me too! But they are in fact different staffs.
Quote:
When Gandalf battles the evil wizard, Gandalf's staff is taken from him and he is therefore defeated. Gandalf is placed atop a large column until rescued by the giant bird. Once united with Frodo again, however, Gandalf's staff is by his side. [Gandalf doesn't regain his staff, he has two different staffs. The branches on the tip of the first one are almost straight and there's a spot for his pipe to fit. On the second one the branches on the tip are bent to one side. Both can be seen in pre-release pictures.]
Other mistakes and misconceptions can be found here: http://www.movie-mistakes.com/film.php?filmid=1778
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 05:34 PM   #3
Earenya
Elven Warrior

I did just read this on that website, this may be what you're referring to- my computer screen is too dark for me to tell. But all of the close up scenes w/ Gandalf, he is not wearing a hat.

Quote:
When the fellowship is in the caves crossing the pits, it is clear when the camera swings round that the actors are replaced with computer generated models - the Gandalf model has his hat on, and when it swtiches to actors he doesn't, then back to models, the hat is back.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 09:22 PM   #4
Aragorns Dimple
Enting

Well, he is a very powerful wizard, so has the unique ability to make things go *POOF!* whenever he feels like it, I guess. Maybe he *POOFED!* his hat and staff away to the magic coat-rack in the sky until he needed them again!

*disappears, all POOF!-like*