Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-27-2002, 09:14 PM   #1
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Mt. Doom?

ok, this is something that my friends and i were discussing, and i want to know what people think. tolkien has all these cool names, he even came up with various different entire languages. and then he goes and names the mountain "Mount Doom". How obvious can you get? maybe he thought frodo was slow and needed the extra help? (nothing against tolkien or frodo here: tolkien's my favourite author and frodo is frankly hot). the other mountains too: the Lonely Mountain, the Misty Mountains...ok, those weren't so bad. but still!...

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 10:32 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I never found "Mount Doom" cheesy. I think it is a translation of Sindarin Amon Amarth, but I'm not sure (I don't really have a mind for Sindarin words). Amon Amarth sounds better than Mount Doom in my opinion, but I think that's because it belongs to a language more beautiful (than English). Tolkien could have called it Fire Mountain, which is much worse than Mount Doom. Orodruin means "Mountain of Fire".

I should like to know why the place was called Mount Doom. Was it because the Ring was made there, the act of which was a matter of high fate and doom? I mean there had to be a reason for "Mount Doom" to become a common name of the place.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:05 PM   #3
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I found it kind of cheesy too...::shrug:: Oh well, a lot of the stuff in my older and current stories was cheesy, and that's the only thing I don't like so far
Old 02-27-2002, 11:24 PM   #4
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Doom=fate

Its not THAT cheesy
Old 02-27-2002, 11:26 PM   #5
Nameless
Enting

I must admit that I found it rather refreshing to have at least one or two place names that were simple, easy to remember and most of all easy to pronounce!

You want to try discussing Tolkien's books with your friends when you can't pronounce half the character names and places!
Old 02-27-2002, 11:42 PM   #6
Twilight
Elven Warrior

I admit that it could have been more creative, but like Nolendil said, it could have been much worse. I think that overall Tolkien did a really good job with names, and it isn't really right to critisize over one thing when compared to all of the rest. I guess the name does seem a bit average in comparasin to all of the rest of the wonderful names.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:59 PM   #7
TinuvielChild
Padawan

oh, see, it wasn't that i found it cheesy, just a little odd, that's all. yeah, some of the quenya and sindarin names are a little hard to pronounce, but they are all supremely cool.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 08:00 AM   #8
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Nameless
I must admit that I found it rather refreshing to have at least one or two place names that were simple, easy to remember and most of all easy to pronounce!
You've certainly got a point about the simple name and lack of too many complications being a relief. I prefer the name Orodruin, myself, because it's still pronounceable, and it sounds cooler (Ñólendil: I had never heard it called Amon Amarth before . . . but I have a long way to go in my Tolkien knowledge still ) .

But think about it this way: not all of Middle-earth called it "Mount Doom." Some folk called it other things. The name 'Mount Doom' could have been a version to simplify it to people like the hobbits, who liked things simple, cheesiness aside. I don't think it's cheesy, myself.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 08:28 AM   #9
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I have played this through my mind more than once since reading LotR. I think though that it is short and to the point. It definitely describes the mountain quite well. I think that if a Tolkien-Language name was giving to it all the time, it wouldn't have the fear and suspence given with Mount Doom.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 09:44 AM   #10
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Doom=fate
On the money, markedel. I agree that it best describes the mount's role in that age as translated to english; and a more profound one at that, IMO, considering the names of other places: the misty mountains, the ash mountains, the dead marshes, the lonely mountain.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 09:51 AM   #11
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

Thats an interesting thought. Tolkien has always gone very in depth with his names and languages, but there are some that aren't. I like Mt. Doom. Just because its simple doesn't mean its cheesy. Simple things can be profound.
~KGamgee~
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:24 PM   #12
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Yeah it used to be called Orodruin

and well, i did find Mt.Doom kinda cheesy when i first picked up FOTR, but i got used to it quite quickly,

especially if u say it like Ian.McKellen (Gandlaf) did in bag end near the start of the film.

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 05:02 PM   #13
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Doom=fate
Exactly, Markedel.

Because not only was the Ring forged there, it was the only place it could be destroyed- it was the final point of either success or failure for the free peoples of Middle Earth.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 05:57 PM   #14
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Its simplicity makes it stand out. And think how plain it is as a place: a tall mountain in the middle of an empty land. Somehow the name sounds as desolate as the mountain itself.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 06:13 PM   #15
Nameless
Enting

Tolkien took care when choosing character and place names. He would have given the same careful consideration in choosing the different names for 'Mt. Doom'. After all, this becomes a central place in the story. In a way it is the focus of the quest. Perhaps he thought that the word 'Doom' would re-enforce to readers just how important this place was. A subtle (or maybe a not so subtle!) reminder that the fate of all the free people of Middle Earth will be decided there.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:22 PM   #16
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Yeah it used to be called Orodruin
'Mount Doom' is just a 'nickname', I believe Orodruin is used more often than 'Mount Doom' towards the end of the book.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 06:58 PM   #17
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Als Mount doom is the translation from the Westron. I don't know what mount doom in westron is but it could sound really cool.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:56 AM   #18
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

I like it...simple yet profound. It doesn't have to be long and complicated to be a good name.
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:52 PM   #19
Glorious Glorfindel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
Its simplicity makes it stand out. And think how plain it is as a place: a tall mountain in the middle of an empty land. Somehow the name sounds as desolate as the mountain itself.
i couldn't agree more!

Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

add a drop of lavander to milk.
leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
Glorious Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 09:42 PM   #20
TinuvielChild
Padawan

who was the first person to mention 'cheesiness'? cuz it wasn't me! the reason i made this post originally was cuz three of my semi-hardcore tolkien fan friends were discussing it and none of them had discovered entmoot yet. so...personally, i agree with whoever it was that said that if it had a different name, it wouldn't have the same fear and suspense (i think it was emplynx?).

FRODO LIVES!!!!!