Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Taril
Sapling

Strider Elves in Modern times.

This is just a hypothetical question..

I know the Elves cannot come back, wouldn't come back.
BUT.. Lets say they did, lets say they sailed back to the world in present day 2007.. What would take place? What would they think of the Earth they find? Would they try to re-establish themselves with humans? Would they turn tail, and go back?

What say you, for I am very curious.
Taril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

They would turn back, most definitely.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Gollum

I came back. I stayed because they invented Nintendo around the time I came here. Got hooked on those games that so many now label as "old school". I don't approve of most of what goes on but I think that mankind will find its way. And if it doesn't, um...

The world has changed a good bit and now the things you used to explore without seeing one building, and usually could journey for hundreds of leagues with not even a campfire in a distant forest, are now filled with industry and foul-smelling air (and windbag politicians who can't pronounce "nuclear" or claim that they invented the internet) in some parts.

I think the rest of the Elves might have mercy and beg the Valar to let some pass there and lift what some call the "Curse of Man" or "Curse of Mortality". But who knows, the future may work out to be almost like the Star Trek future (and if it does I fear for this world LoL).

But yep, Gwaimir Windgem is right, most of the other Elves would turn back in a heartbeat.
Ingwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Nautipus
Kraken King

I came, I saw.....I got depressed and left.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus
I came, I saw.....I got depressed and left.
I try to act not too depressed, but that's just denial. I think I might go back to my home in Eldamar soon. If I was one of the Valar, I would probably grant humanity some sort of alternative to this. Not sure what, because mankind isn't designed to handle immortality as far as I know. It's sort of how SATA storage drives are gifted with longevity over regular ATA drives because the connections are more durable, or something. Somebody at a computer store told me that. I better stop now before I go on a technobabble rant.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe
I try to act not too depressed, but that's just denial. I think I might go back to my home in Eldamar soon. If I was one of the Valar, I would probably grant humanity some sort of alternative to this. Not sure what, because mankind isn't designed to handle immortality as far as I know. It's sort of how SATA storage drives are gifted with longevity over regular ATA drives because the connections are more durable, or something. Somebody at a computer store told me that. I better stop now before I go on a technobabble rant.

Denial is a beautiful thing...

You'd probably better go off on that rant because there's no other way that I could understand SATA and ATA without it... I'm more of a rant-oriented learner, which is why I'm doing so much better in college than in High school.

I saw a little Indian proffessor here and he looked exactly like Einstein. I mean it! He could have been him, but he taught some kind of math...

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 09-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Denial is a beautiful thing...

You'd probably better go off on that rant because there's no other way that I could understand SATA and ATA without it... I'm more of a rant-oriented learner, which is why I'm doing so much better in college than in High school.

I saw a little Indian proffessor here and he looked exactly like Einstein. I mean it! He could have been him, but he taught some kind of math...
Einstein may have been Radagast. We never really did find out solidly what happened to him. LoL

So for years I used ATA hard drives (which were the older ones with the standard ATA connectors). In my 12 year computer-literate history (or longer) I've lost about 20 of them. I've had 5 SATA drives and 5 external usb portal hard drives - none of them have ever gone bad on me, aside from the random file errors that happen if you don't shut it down properly *cough Bill Gate's way of making you buy more stuff for your computer, Microsoft gets the side effect of getting more money off it cough*. The old ATA connectors were defective from the moment they were invented I think. The SATA drives and connectors never made a drive fail yet. I'm quite glad mankind got something right LoL.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Nautipus
Kraken King

hahaha

Every now and then mankind gets something right, like sushi. Here, have some.
*throws sushi to Ingwe*

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 09-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #9
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Gimli

Quote:
hahaha

Every now and then mankind gets something right, like sushi. Here, have some.
*throws sushi to Ingwe*

LoL thanks. Sushi was one of those few things. When Amy and I go back to Valinor though, I'm taking the invention of duct tape back with us. LoL

There was also the moon missions. I * hope * they really did happen. Most evidence points to it happening at least once. The Elves went into space before and have achieved warp capability. We met up with Earendil and we had some drinks while Morgoth watched. Morgoth didn't look too happy at all. So we gave him some light beer. The guy has but one weakness: he can't hold his liquor. LoL
Old 09-27-2007, 12:06 AM   #10
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe
LoL thanks. Sushi was one of those few things. When Amy and I go back to Valinor though, I'm taking the invention of duct tape back with us. LoL

There was also the moon missions. I * hope * they really did happen. Most evidence points to it happening at least once. The Elves went into space before and have achieved warp capability. We met up with Earendil and we had some drinks while Morgoth watched. Morgoth didn't look too happy at all. So we gave him some light beer. The guy has but one weakness: he can't hold his liquor. LoL

I really dont know how to respond to that ....so here's a random fact: Sushi was invented by the Chinese long before the Japanese incorporated it into their own culture, but now it is seen as less Chinese, and more Japanese.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 09-27-2007, 06:39 AM   #11
YayGollum
Enting

Location: A place called Fort Myers. In the evil state of Florida, a part of the United States Of America, of North America, Earth, Sol system.
If ever some nasssty elveses ever showed back up nowadays, they would show up on tiny boats, because didn't that Tolkien dude write that, after a while, all elves would be reduced to the size of fairies, claiming that all fairies in other stories just used to be elves? oh well. They'd show up, we'd easily catch them and perform all kinds of superly cool experiments on them and extract magic juice from them. It would be great.

- Myself
YayGollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
Nautipus
Kraken King

Thats.....actually a litle morbid.....but oh well. Still funny

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
Olmer
Elf Lord

Hum-um...We have had a discussion about that...
The possibility that they are still sharing the planet with us.
This is what I think.
I think that morally we did not get advanced far enough to be ready to meet the progenies of the Firstborn. Sadly, if any of Elves descendants were still dwelling in our time, than the fact of their origin from an immortal type of humanoids would be kept in a deep secrecy.
What the difference between Elves and Men?
Considering that the Elves and the Man have the same "faculties", can interbreed, producing healthy offsprings, indicate them as the one biological group with only one small difference - an immortality and a resilience to age wearing out.
And this little fact makes a HUGE difference!

"So, if they are the same type, then why they live forever, and I am not?
I want it too!!!"
- that would be, naturally, the first thought of many people.

Thanks God, the Men of Middle-earth were not so advanced in genetic researches, otherwise the leftover elves would encouter a genocide in such proportions that even Hitler wouldn't dream about.

At present time the Men of the Earth have even a greater lust for immortality....
So, given an opportunity to find this tiny gene which makes such big difference between otherwise similar humans, moral and humane criterias wouldn't stop the scientists, the politicians and even the ordinary people.
The elves offsprings would be hunted worldwide, disected and studied in the name of humanitarianism.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #14
Nautipus
Kraken King

I dont want to live forever!

Could you imagine how bored you'd get? I mean come ON!

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #15
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I know there's some elves still here, because I found a gorgeous necklace that I'm sure came straight from Lorien, and another that I know is from Mirkwood

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #16
Olmer
Elf Lord

The lost Nauglamir?
Can we look at it?
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #17
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I know there's some elves still here, because I found a gorgeous necklace that I'm sure came straight from Lorien, and another that I know is from Mirkwood
That's great to hear! We will inform the Valar of the finding of these artifacts and they will be en-route to give those who found them immortality. But be quiet on that - it's supposed to be top-secret.

Quote:
I dont want to live forever!

Could you imagine how bored you'd get? I mean come ON!
It is quite boring, especially in the New Land (American continent). In two years we're moving to somewhere out west, there's a small area where the Rocky Mountains form a circle and in between there's basically nobody. It's quite hidden (except for the fact that 40,000 satellites orbiting the earth can see it). We will name it New Gondolin or New Tirion. That's also classified above top-secret so shhhh, don't tell anyone.

In exchange for giving some people immortality, we'll just take that duct tape invention back with us. I told Manwë about it and he replied with, "eh, whatever." So it seems that it isn't against the rules anymore. Right now the Valar are concentrating their efforts on learning soccer.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #18
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an

I found five dollars! See!
*shows everybody*

Could that be elvish?

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 10-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #19
Galagriel's_daughter
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel hello

it is kind of depressing but since im not the only on elven person left here its ok but i think mankind is in real trouble and theres nothing here i can do but sit and watch and laugh!

Last edited by Galagriel's_daughter : 10-28-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Galagriel's_daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #20
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Aw hell, those ninnies couldn't stick it out even back then. They got some sort of fear of commitment, it seems. Course they'd turn tail and run crying back to Varda once they saw the state of affairs here!

Pfah, they wouldn't stay to help make it a better place, when they could, no way those snooty boogers would come and try to make something of it now.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote