Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-05-2001, 02:24 PM   #1
Silva
Hobbit

Gandalf Elves look like bugs and Gandalf isnt getting enough!

Got a free magazine all about the film with my sunday paper, much entertainment from reading the interviews with some of the actors and actresses, lol.

If I may quote :

Firstly from an interview with Liv Tyler, Arwen, "Elves are cute things, They look really strange almost like bugs. Like grasshoppers or something."
Ermmmm????!!!!???? Errrrrrr, lol I think or maybe *sobs*
Does that sound anything like elves to anyone??? I'd never really though of elves as insects, hmmmm guess I'd better not sqaush any ants then, could be an elf in disguise

Has this woman actually read the books?
And why do the elves all have pointy ears, are they really vulcans? Did Tolkien ever mention the shape of elf ears? I've read the books five times in all but my memory is appaling and I'm no expert on LoTR trivia.
I know Mr Spock is really an Elf, after all he did perform that rather appaling song about hobbits back in the seventies, extremely hillarious and well worth watching. lol

Secondly From an interview with Ian McKellen.
"for my taste I would have preferred more women in the story and a bit more sex" *sigh* Anyone want Gandalf to have a romance??? Can you imagine it?
He also says "This is an adaption, not a copy. If you're really nervous about it dont see the film"
Anyone actually going to not go?

Also is the same mag, "the role of women has been enhanced in the film because modern audiences demand romance, a love interest." We do??!!!
Gee thanks for telling me thats what I demand, and there I was thinking I just wanted a film that told the story the way the book tells it. Unless I'm an old fashioned audience. *sighs deeply*
Honestkly theres beeen lots of wonderfull films without romance or strong female roles, so why do they have to do this to tolkien?
Old 12-05-2001, 02:29 PM   #2
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Are you sure it was Ian Mc Kellan who said those things? Anyway we can expect this sort of ignorence from the media, that means you Burger King.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 03:19 PM   #3
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Iwonder, why HOBBITS (!) have more pointier ears than elves in movie...
Neither should have them...or perhaps elves, but only a bit. Not anything like Elfquest or anything...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 03:25 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

hobbits had pointier ears than elves in the books, too.

At least that's half accurate.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:23 PM   #5
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

Yeah I got that sunday paper too and Ian Mckellen did say the sex thing.

It said somewhere that Elijah Wood hasn't read the books either.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 06:04 PM   #6
Silva
Hobbit

Where does it say hobbits have pointy ears? And elves? I just gotta know.

I'll bribe you all with praline filled choc bars, first person to categorically proove to me that elves and hobbits have pointy ears gets free choc bars for life.

It also worried me a bit that in the same interview Ian Mckellen said he had problems getting into the part of Gandalf. Oh well at least Rivendell looks lovely.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:13 PM   #7
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

In a Letter to the publishers regarding the cover of "The Hobbit", he said that Bilbos ears should be slightly pointed, "Almost Elvish". This doesn't apply to Tolkiens Elves, just the sterotype Santa Claus ones. Also in a picture by J.R.R Tolkien Bilbo has pointy ears. To contradict myself, I believe that one of Tolkiens Essays said their ears were leaf shaped.

Don't worry about Sir Ian Mc Kellan, according to the reviews, a lot of them say that Mc Kellan is Gandalf.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 07:20 PM   #8
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Sam Gamgee

Bugs?!Ok that's REALLY poetic:rolleyes. Stately would have been the word for the elves, mysterious. But Liv is known for saying and doing things like that. It's said that she liked her elf ears so much that she wanted to keep them and she left these rubber ears on the dashboard of her CAR (in the hot sun no less)and they melted. Not the brightest tool in the shed but heck she's pretty.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...

Last edited by samwise of the shire : 12-05-2001 at 07:29 PM.
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 08:57 PM   #9
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
To contradict myself, I believe that one of Tolkiens Essays said their ears were leaf shaped.
You're thinking of a nearly illegible note in the Etymologies, published in The Lost Road and Other Writings. But that work belongs to the very old mythology of The Book of Lost Tales, not The Silmarillion. It proves that the Book of Lost Tales Elves had slightly pointed ears, but it doesn't shed any light on the ones found in the Lord of the Rings.
Old 12-06-2001, 03:16 PM   #10
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
Not the brightest tool in the shed but heck she's pretty.
I, personally, don't think she's anything great in the eye-pleasing department. And, from the description, Arwen was the kinda babe that even I would find droolingly attractive.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:45 PM   #11
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Arwen (the acter) is pretty, but I don't think she comes up to the standered. Nor does the lady playing Galadriel. It's supposed to be that their both drop you dead gorgeous, and I don't think either of them fit that discription. I sure hope they find someone who will look like Eowyn: ruining the looks of all three females would be very bad!
Old 12-06-2001, 07:17 PM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The actor playing eowen is someone in her 30's... I never pictured her older than 20-ish.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:29 PM   #13
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Captain Stern -

It says that about Eljiah Wood in Seventeen mag's January issue...They insist on focusing more on his looks than the movie of course, being an 'average teenage girl' kinda magazine.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:05 AM   #14
arynetrek
Elf Lord

in my mind there is no actress beautiful enough to do justice to the elven ladies. i'm already resigned to that.

Liv Tyler has just sunk even lower in my estimation. which really is quite a trick, since i didn't have a good opinion of her to begin with...

getting pessimistic again,
aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 06:47 PM   #15
olorin7
Hobbit

speaking of eoywns age, is anyone else upset by elijah wood. i could be wrong but wasn't frodod supposed to be the oldest hoobit. wood looks like he is 14. if anything the other hobbits look older.
olorin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 12:41 AM   #16
Bradistic
Hobbit

I don't care that Elijah/Frodo looks the youngest, I'm just upset that the most important character hasen't even read the book!!! Peter Jackson should have made reading the book a requirement of all actors with more than a few lines.
Bradistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:18 PM   #17
Darth Tater
The man

He's playing Frodo in the screenplay, not Frodo in the book. This is PJ's take on Middle Earth. Oh and he is reading LOTR, he started when he showed up in New Zealand. I think PJ made them all at least try to read it, though I'm sure it goes over the heads of a lot of *ahem* Hollywood people.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 05:26 PM   #18
Silva
Hobbit

I dunno about frodo looking about 14, but I think all the hobbits look too much like elves. I mean I always thought of hobbits as being not so cutesy looking, coarser maybe, more countrified. I think they look way too preetty with all that curly hair.

Maybe they perm it, or use curling tongs or something? Maybe theirs things about hobbits we don't know!

Good way to pass the long winter evenings in your hobbit hole, curling the hairs on your toes.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:33 PM   #19
mirrille
Elven Warrior

They can't get countrified looking hobbits. There's a very simple reason for that. Hollywood people are not countrified looking. You don't get to be in movies for looking ordinary. Isn't that so?
Given that, shouldn't there be someone prettier to play the ladies? But oh well, too late to change that. Without having seen the performance yet, I still think that Cate Blanchett could be a good Galadriel. She can bring some dignity into her role, which I doubt Liv Tyler can. She thinks she supposed to look like a bug! Maybe she's in the wrong movie.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 07:59 PM   #20
arynetrek
Elf Lord

my problem with Elijah is also about looks - he's very pale & thin, which may work for his RotK scenes, but hobbits are inclined to be fat, and even a youngish hobbit (remember, he too was "well-preserved" i think should be slightly tubby.

also - don't hobbits have nut-brown skin, or is that only one of the sub-races?

as for the 4 main hobbits looking too beautiful, i always thought Frodo would be good-looking. and from the preview scenes i've seen the general hobbits at the Party are more rustic-looking.

& despite her looks in makeup, i think Cate Blanchett will be a great Galadriel.

saw a pic of Miranda Otto the other day, and i don't see any problems about her age. i never thought of Eowyn as being a young pretty frilly thing anyway. too bad we have to wait another year before we see how her acting is.

aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote