Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2006, 02:38 AM   #1
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

mac or windows? looking to get a laptop

There doesn't seem to be any recent topic on this.

I go college at the end of August, and I need to get a laptop. I have to get this within the next month or two.

My huge dilemma - get an Apple Macbook Pro with OS X or get a laptop with windows xp?

I've always used windows and I've only had limited contact with macs. However, I plan to major in communications and my college recommends macs for that.

What should I do?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:13 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Get a mac. The macbook pro can run xp anyway.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:17 AM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

If your profs recommend a Mac I would go with that. I've had a very tiny bit of contact with Mac OS and it doesn't seem to hard to learn. Ask your profs why specifically you should have a Mac, I'm sure they'd be happy to advise you.

If you aren't worried about software compatability and your only reason for a PC is to run Windows XP, I'd go with that Mac.

Communications eh? That sounds like an interesting degree. (All couples should take it! )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:19 AM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Nurv, compatibility ain't an issue no more. It can run XP.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
HOBBIT

Compatibility isn’t so much of a problem as it used to be.

There is Microsoft word, excel, and powerpoint for macs – fully compatible with windows.

But still there are a lot of programs that are windows only. Or come out first for windows.

Macs can now run windows xp yes – but I hear that it isn’t too practical right now. And you can’t necessarily run everything that you could on a regular windows xp computer.

What other reason is there to get a laptop with windows xp? I’ve been using windows for years and years.

Right now I’m leaning towards getting a mac though :P

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 06-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Definately a mac.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I think it's best to know both OSes, so I'd go macbook pro.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Use a PC at work all day [engineering / GIS] but I have all mac's for my own personal use....I prefer the Mac...I've always felt that it's what a computer should be...techno-cool, a bit artsy, and easy to use...

BTW....the latest Mac ads were 'milk out my nose' FUNNY...the ones were the two fella's compare themselves as one a PC and the other a Mac....I've got the link around here somewhere [rumages around computer]

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!

Last edited by EarthBound : 06-18-2006 at 09:14 PM.
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
Huorn
Elven Warrior

It would depend on what you are looking for. Windows had more options and displays more colours on messages boards. The computers that use windows on the newer models tend to have cooler running microprocessors.

The advantages of Mac is that it is not suspectible to viruses and does not break down as much due to these problems.

Just call me Oakie
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
HOBBIT

Not sure what you mean by "more options" - and I don't see why windows would display more colors on a message board.

do you have any personal experience with this?
---------
I use iTunes for my music, so of course that won't be a problem on a mac . I'm trying to find equivalents for all the programs I use for macs.

Right now leaning toward a MacBookPro.

Still all open ears and really looking foward to all of your opinions and input.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #11
Huorn
Elven Warrior

I am a member of LoTR Plaza. Many of the special font colours would not display on a Mac until the program on the site was revamped. The Mac has some minor disadvantages because much of the web is geared to PC.

Just call me Oakie
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #12
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

One thing you should know however. For the short-term many major apps (i.e. Adobe) run slower on Windows on the Mac than they do on Windows on the PC. This is because much of the code has not been optimized for what is essentially a new platform. So I'd suggest purchasing OSX-native apps as much as possible.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

You have to visit this link to help with your decision....its LOL
Mac vs PC

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!

Last edited by EarthBound : 06-19-2006 at 02:03 PM.
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #14
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
Use a PC at work all day [engineering / GIS] but I have all mac's for my own personal use....I prefer the Mac...I've always felt that it's what a computer should be...techno-cool, a bit artsy, and easy to use...

BTW....the latest Mac ads were 'milk out my nose' FUNNY...the ones were the two fella's compare themselves as one a PC and the other a Mac....I've got the link around here somewhere [rumages around computer]
Same here. I use Windows at work, Mac at home. I love my iBook. My wife and I get up first thing and pop open our matching iBooks.

But you can get a Dell for half the price.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #15
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Nurv, compatibility ain't an issue no more. It can run XP.
Oh, well um, there you go. Get a Mac.

One thing I don't like about Macs is Quicktime. Even Windows Media Player manages to be better than that stupid virus.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #16
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

You can just download Windows Media Player for Mac. It's free at the MicroSoft website.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:59 PM   #17
HOBBIT

no, windows media player definitely doesn't work on macs. It can't play WMV or WMA either.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:43 PM   #18
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Actually, yeah it can (and does). I have a Macbook and I also have Windows Media Player. I think it's version 9 or something, so it's not the most recent version, but it still works and plays .wmv and .wma.

But you have hit upon the one slight inconvenience I've had with changing from Windows to a Mac -- playing Windows-specific media files. Quicktime seems to have trouble with .avi files, but I've got another media player called VLC, and so far, it's handled everything I've thrown at it, no problem. Like I said, a slight inconvenience, but nothing to not get a Mac about.

Like you, I've used a Windows computer all my life. However, I'm in journalism and we use Macs, so I had to acclimate myself to using them, and the more I used them, the more I liked them. Sure, they're not great for playing games because not that many are made for them, but Boot Camp is a step in the right direction and I don't play videogames on my computer anyway.

I've had my Macbook (not Pro) since late May, and I love it. I haven't regretted changing over. OS X takes a little getting used to (even with simple stuff like installing programs, but nothing major), but it's so awesome. Spotlight, Expose and especially Dashboard are nothing short of spectacular in my book. Not to mention the design is very sexy. My Macbook is only about 1" thick when it's closed, and it doesn't weigh that much. The screen is very clear and crisp, and besides, the whole package just plain looks cool. It runs a little hotter than I'd like, but hey, you've got a dual-core processor running inside something less than an inch thick -- of course it's going to get hot.

I also love the creative applications that come with it, like iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and especially Garageband. I'm getting a minor in music, and I love playing around with my own compositions. The fact that it is practically impervious to viruses and spyware is just icing on the cake.

Bottom line: I don't regret switching at all. I thought I might, but I wouldn't trade my Mac for a Windows laptop, even if I did spend a little more money on the Mac.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #19
HOBBIT

that was helpful Khamul thanks. I'm not sure what field of communications I want to do - but included in the school of communicatiosn is journalism, television, film, etc.

I suppose I might as well switch to macs since everyone in those fields seems to use them.

I've pretty much decided to get a Mac Book Pro. But I hear that a new model is coming out late July or early August - so I'm going to wait until August and see what happens.

Although right now I think that I am getting a mac - I could still change my mind. So don't hesitate to offer your opinions. I used to be a mac hater. But now they seem cool.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #20
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
I've pretty much decided to get a Mac Book Pro. But I hear that a new model is coming out late July or early August - so I'm going to wait until August and see what happens.
You lucky, lucky bar steward.

I've used both for about 15 years. I do development on them both using a package which is identical in each, and yet it is easier to use the Mac somehow. Dunno why really. Well, I do, it's the feckin stupid Windows file system. But anyway.

A concrete example? I upgraded my mac at home from OS9.2 to 10.3.2. That's like going from windows 98 to XP. I put the CD in, clicked one button once, and went and watched telly and played with the bairn for a bit.

When I got back, the system was totally upgraded, it had picked up all the assorted peripherals and network connections, all were working and get this I could still use all of the programs and files from my old version.

Compare this to today, having just installed a new printer on Windoze 98, I find that I have to reinstall the goddam printer again for each user on the system!! AAAAARRGGG

Macs, though more expensive, pay for themselves in productivity (in about 6 months I reckon) and not being a complete pile of pish that should be taken out and set on fire.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote