Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

The constitution

I just got asked by an on campus newspaper what does the constitution mean to you? it is a vague question i realize, (and i hope the obscure paper realizes it too ) but i digress. My answer to that question was that it was one of the founding documents of the united states and IMO should be the foundation of law when it came to courts making decisions (i.e..the supreme court)

what does it mean to the rest of you?
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.

Last edited by rohirrim TR : 09-12-2005 at 02:52 PM.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i think it's an incredible document for it's time... the work of some of the greatest minds of their time on the best way to govern a country with a very diverse population and diverse interests

that said, its ultimate power is in its flexibility and ability to be changed (though it takes a lot of consensus to make that change)... it should not be seen as an almost "biblical" piece of paper that is the end-all system of the United States (which is how it is seen by some)

and btw, the power of the supreme courts to decide whether or not any given law complies with constitional law stems from the constitution itself... congress passes laws, the supreme court assures they fit the constitutional framework... and if the congress does not like the answer, they have the power to ammend the constitution... it's all in the system
Old 09-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
rohirrim TR

I totally agree with you.
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
rohirrim TR

brownjenkins made me think of something, he said jokingly "the constitution is evlolving" but should it,
should it be a living document or should it be set in stone? and how much power should the supreme court be given?
Quote:
Old 10-10-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

it should be evolving, just difficult to change... as the many amendments show... the founding fathers came up with some good ideas, but times change and situations arise that were unforeseen
Old 10-10-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
rohirrim TR

yeah, i agree, the system works, the supreme court should balance congress and vice versa, the key to keeping america a democratic republic is keeping governement limited
Quote:
Old 10-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

It's very interesting when/if you look at the early history of the Constitution. Things like how little power the judiciary actually had. Judicial review of Congress was only attempted twice in the first 70 years of the Constitution.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:57 PM   #8
rohirrim TR

yeah, when the first congress started they no real power to speak of and their money was worthless (not worth a continental) yet now it has gone to the other extreme and were fighting big government and excessive pork bills in congress, its weird how you can see the historical progression
Quote:
Old 10-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #9
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Which, I think, illustrates the point that it should only evolve so far. After all, what good is it if it evolves into a tyrannical document?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #10
rohirrim TR

what do you mean "tyrannical" ?
Quote:
Old 10-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #11
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

If it gives all power to a central authority...possibly even a tyranny of the people could occur if we don't watch it.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:17 PM   #12
rohirrim TR

well I guess it could happen, but the way our system is designed it is unlikely, the three branches of government each have the power to limit each other, and thats what keeps us from having a tyranny
Quote:
Old 10-12-2005, 03:24 AM   #13
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yes, that and the federal system which devolves much power to the States.

As an "outsider", the US Constitution stands as an eloquent expression of liberty and one of the greatest documents in human history. I wish we had one.

I recently visited Runymede, where the Magna Carta was signed (the nearest English equivalent, I guess). It was interesting that there was bugger all memorials etc except one which was built by a group of Americans, in recognition of how that document inspired the Founding Fathers.

It's also interesting that it's one of the most liberal constitutional documents anywhere, yet the US is a conservative country. Whereas, the UK has no constitution at all and is (comparatively) liberal.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:57 PM   #14
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

That's partly because once you write things down there is an inherent tug of conservatism - "sticking to the letter of the text" - that can impede liberal movements, whereas if nothing's written down, it is more mutable.

That's not all of it, but it is part of it.
Count Comfect is offline   Reply With Quote