Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-10-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
Macgyver tv show

does anybody remember the tv show from the eightys the firsty season is out on dvd now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macgyver.jpg (7.2 KB, 58 views)
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:46 AM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Yeah, I remember that show. I still catch re-runs whenever I can on Spike TV. It was a great show.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

we've never had it in uk, but doesn't richard dean anderson look young?!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

It runs every now and then here in Norway, hard not to catch it. Used to love it when I was younger. Funny that.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #5
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I used to watch it. I loved it. But that was years ago, when I was young and stupid.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I used to love that show. I haven't seen any reruns since the first time I saw it, though. So chances are I now can't understand why I loved that show so much. I remember they used to give it Monday evening, I remember because that was the only evening for a long time that I was allowed to stay up after ten. Fond memories.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
Yeah, I remember that show. I still catch re-runs whenever I can on Spike TV. It was a great show.
I like the show, but not as much as when I was younger. (easier to suspend reality and contrived situations then )

I think one reason I liked MacGyver was the way he was usually able to think himself out of trouble. While many of his solutions were improbable, at least they were possible. I also liked the idealism that MacGyver possessed.

One thing I really do not like with SpikeTV is that they edit the shows (ie cut some scenes from the show to add more commercials in).

At best you miss some of the richness of the show. At worst it makes the show look inconsistant and/or poorly produced.

(Spike is not the only channel to do this (SciFi comes to mind ) but it is at times annoying enough that I will refuse to watch the show, since I know I will be annoyed when I notice the editted segment.)

SciFi has done the editting with most of the shows the present (BattleStarGalactica, StarTrek, Sliders, Buck Rodges to name a few.)

Toon Disney and ABCFAM have also done this with Marvel Comics' Spiderman & X-Men.

Noggin has done this with MTV's Daria.

How much are they charging for the 1st season?

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 03-10-2005 at 12:30 PM.
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:01 PM   #8
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r
I think one reason I liked MacGyver was the way he was usually able to think himself out of trouble. While many of his solutions were improbable, at least they were possible. I also liked the idealism that MacGyver possessed.

Exactly why I loved the show. I had taped many of the episodes but got rid of them during one of my moves. May have one or two on the shelves somewhere. And I remember Richard Dean Anderson from waaaay back when he was on General Hospital.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote