Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

A Mortal Life

When Arwen chooses the mortal life deos that mean she goes to human heaven of elf heaven. Cuz I mean if she went to the human one then ELrond would literally never ever ever see her again which might be why he was so incredibly sad about her going with Aragron.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:12 PM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
When Arwen chooses the mortal life deos that mean she goes to human heaven of elf heaven. Cuz I mean if she went to the human one then ELrond would literally never ever ever see her again which might be why he was so incredibly sad about her going with Aragron.
Why don't you ask this question in here?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 PM   #3
Haradrim

well they are different questions. One deals with her life the other with her death. SO I thought they desere=ved different thhreads. But if you want me to post my question there I will. Sorry.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:24 PM   #4
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
well they are different questions. One deals with her life the other with her death. SO I thought they desere=ved different thhreads. But if you want me to post my question there I will. Sorry.
No need to apologise. I just thought it's a better place, as the thread deals with 'Arwen's fate as a mortal', and this one seems very similar.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:22 AM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Radagast, I think that they're trying to encourage people to start new threads if the other is too old (dunno what they define as too old tho'), in order to stimulate new debate and encourage newbies. It is tedious to have to comb through a giant 10+ pager full of old debate!!

However, the link you posted is probably okay though, so I guess I should just shut me gob.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:36 AM   #6
Haradrim

Well I thought it would just be pleasant to have a palce to discuss her death and not just her life. You know I think they are different discussions but that is for the mods or admins to decide.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:20 AM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Arwen made the same choice as Lúthien did, she chose to share the fate of Men. It means that when she died, by the gift of Eru to Men her spirit was free to leave the world, as opposed to the Elves, whose spirits were bound to the world until the it's end. And yes, that's why Elrond and Arwen were both so grieved at their parting, they knew that their fate now were sundered and that they should never meet again, unless there were further life for the Eldar beyond the breaking of the world.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:22 AM   #8
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

But they could meet againg because surely Elrond could be killed. You never know maybe some corsairs attacked their ship so the never reached Valinor?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:23 AM   #9
Haradrim

yeah I mean if Arwen had died when she was an elf that wouyold have been hard for Elrond but at least he knew that someday he would see her again but since she chose the mortal life he knew that never ever ever would they meet again. But that raises another question. Where did men go? where was outside this world. Was that like heaven or something?
Old 08-27-2004, 03:36 AM   #10
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
But they could meet againg because surely Elrond could be killed. You never know maybe some corsairs attacked their ship so the never reached Valinor?
Well no, they would not meet again even if Elrond dies, when the Elves die they go to the Halls of Mandos, from where they after some time may be reincarnated. Their spirits are unable to leave the world.
Quote:
Where did men go? where was outside this world. Was that like heaven or something?
No one knows. Only the Men who have died, and they don't tell. Personally I think they go to stay with Eru. A sort of heaven, yes.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:39 AM   #11
Telcontar_Dunedain

Then in a way men are better off for dying.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-27-2004, 03:43 AM   #12
Haradrim

Thats why its a hard choice for Elronds children because its Immortality on this earth or go to something else which nobody knows about but is there. Its a terribole chocie but I would go with men because when the world is destroyed what happens to the Elves' spirits I would assume they would end as well.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:43 AM   #13
Artanis

TD: Yes, you may say that death is the Gift of Eru to Men.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:45 AM   #14
Haradrim

But wouldnt you pick it over immortality I mean read my last post.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:48 AM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain

It says somewhere about elves envying m en for their gift of death and men envying elves for their gift of immortality.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:21 AM   #16
Haradrim

its that whole never being happy with one sfate. Men probably didnt understand what a great gift it was and probably clung onto the huge fear of death all men have while the Elves didnt see theirs a s a gift cause eventually they will die and that will be the end of them. I mean in a sense men have the tru immortality.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:24 AM   #17
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yeah but don't the elves go to Eru after the world has ended?

Old 08-27-2004, 04:30 AM   #18
Haradrim

I dont know originally I thought sao but I think a mooter once told me no. Well if that is the case then why would the elves envy men. They live forever on this world and then when this world ends they go live with Eru. THat doesnt seem to bad to me. That sounds liek the perfect mix actually. So I dont think it can be true
Old 08-27-2004, 04:31 AM   #19
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yeah but they tire of life even though the years pass really quickly.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:38 AM   #20
Haradrim

well boo hoo for them. THey live forever see everything that happens from the moment fo their birth and then die and live forever with Eru. Doesnt sound so bad. If you ask me the Elves are just whiners....