Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2003, 12:38 PM   #1
Thingol's new Wife
Hobbit

Elves that become mortal

Do elves that become mortal really become mortal? I think that they would become ill and die just like mortals. Does anyone know?
And if they didn't why?
Thingol's new Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:54 PM   #2
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Perhaps in chosing to become mortal, an elf is given the Gift of Men in its original form, that is the elf can chose when she is weary of the world to depart...just like men were supposed to be able to do and like Aragorn did. This is just my opinion, I could be WAY off
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:24 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Moving to the Middle-earth forum.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:10 PM   #4
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

We know of no full-blood elf that was given the choice, Even the first Luthian was half Elf and Half Maia.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:06 PM   #5
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

Wasn't it only the descendants of Earendil given the choice to become mortal? I also have a question, would Arwen and Aragorn's child(ern) have the choice to become immortal or mortal, aren't they also distantly related?
Old 06-25-2003, 10:43 PM   #6
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

No child of two mortals (including a parent he had been mixed but elected mortality), got a choice to be Elvish (except for maybe Tour, but the legned of his being made Elvish is dubious, likely a fanciful invention of a later age), Thus none of Elros's children got a choice, nor would it seem that Arwen's did.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Old 06-26-2003, 04:22 AM   #7
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Out of all Immortals that indeed became Mortal, their deaths were usually for "Elvish" reasons anyway. Which is why I think it's so hard to be sure of what the newly mortalized Elves are really subject to. Of course, an Elf could "give up their life" too, just as was gifted to the race of Men. The difference is that Mens' souls will leave the circles of the world, while an Elven soul will be reembodied over time. That is Tolkien's true dividing line of being mortal and immortal I think. (I hope this is making sense) So an Elf becoming Mortal would mean that after death they would be freed from the spiritual bonds of Arda. As to any textual reference to back this up I cannot help there.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:32 PM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

TNW and I discussed this before she posted, and what she really is asking is: if an Elf becomes mortal, do they also become human. Are they biologically changed in anyway, making them subject to sickness and disease, age and death? My answer to this was, they are still Elves, but they are now subject to death and no longer bound to the world. TNW does not agree with me, but this is how I see it.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:15 PM   #9
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
The only elves that chose to become mortal, were Luthien and Arwen. After Aragorn's death, Arwen left Middle Earth and went to Valinor. (I think) Luthien however had a second mortal life granted to her in the Halls of Mandos, and she was released with Beren the One Handed from Arda as a mortal. Elros and Elrond were given a choice to stay either in Numenor and/or Valinor or to go to Middle Earth. Elros stayed in Numenor and became the first King while Elrond went to Middle Earth and founded Rivendell becoming it's first and only Lord. As for the original question, Luthien and Arwen were not subjected to mortal diseases or deaths, they remained elflike until Luthien's death and Arwen's journey into the west. ((Gotta love Silmarillion, and Guide to Tolkien!! ))
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:18 PM   #10
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

After Aragon died, Arwen went to Lorien and died on Cerin Amorth.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:44 AM   #11
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
TNW and I discussed this before she posted, and what she really is asking is: if an Elf becomes mortal, do they also become human. Are they biologically changed in anyway, making them subject to sickness and disease, age and death?
The cahnge is in the spirit, which tnen adpats the body to the spirit's nature. Genetticly, Elves and Humans are the same species, the difference is in their soul/spirit.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:20 AM   #12
Thingol's new Wife
Hobbit

So, none of the elves that became mortal aged? Arwen stayed beautiful, and young, while Aragorn got old?
Old 06-27-2003, 10:41 AM   #13
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Thingol's new Wife
So, none of the elves that became mortal aged? Arwen stayed beautiful, and young, while Aragorn got old?
Likely they followed the pattern of the the descendants of Elros, with few syptems of agedness appearing until the last decade or so of the lifespan, and that they layed down their reiming body life when such syptems first appeared.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Old 06-27-2003, 10:47 AM   #14
Thingol's new Wife
Hobbit

SGH, and I argued about this for over an hour. I figured if I started a thread, I would get more opinions on the matter. So they aged a little? Could they get sick? Did mortals get sick? Were there diseases? Would an elf that became mortal be subjact to them?
Old 06-27-2003, 01:38 PM   #15
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
Thank you, I keep forgetting the end of Arwen's story. No, the "mortal" elves were not subject to diseases. They just chose a "mortal" life. As elves aged they became more beautiful, and "shone" with a sort of inner light of wisdom.
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 04:06 PM   #16
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
The only elves that chose to become mortal, were Luthien and Arwen.
No Elves became mortal. Both Lúthien and Arwen were half-elven, though it may be argued that Lúthien wasn't half mortal and thus would be counted among the Eldar. She was granted the choice because she was pretty and good at singing

I'll have to leave again tomorrow (for those of you that even knew I have been gone), so won't be posting again for another week.

Last edited by Falagar : 06-27-2003 at 04:08 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 04:07 PM   #17
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Yes, that is an important distinction: they became mortal not human. I do not believe that they aged, or that they were subject to disease.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 04:14 PM   #18
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I agree with you BoP. Becoming mrotal meant they would share the fate of Men after death. I think they would be like Men in that they would become weary of the world in a few years time, and then they could choose to die, as Arwen did.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:55 PM   #19
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
TNW and I discussed this before she posted, and what she really is asking is: if an Elf becomes mortal, do they also become human. Are they biologically changed in anyway, making them subject to sickness and disease, age and death? My answer to this was, they are still Elves, but they are now subject to death and no longer bound to the world. TNW does not agree with me, but this is how I see it.
In case anyone wasn't sure, that is what I was trying to say in my last post. "Mortal" Elves would still have their immunities to sickness and all that, the only difference is the release of their souls.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:50 PM   #20
Thingol's new Wife
Hobbit

Then they weren't truley mortal.?