Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-14-2004, 01:25 AM   #1
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

spiderman 2

I couldn't believe that i couldnt find a thread on this, this was probably one of the best movies i have ever seen.the cgi is awesome the plot and sub plots keep the movie going and the action is really good. other peoples thoughts?
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:50 AM   #2
Millane
The Dude

yeah i was surprised at how many people had commented on it or at least mentioned that they had seen it, me and Rian and now you I thought it was great but to me it just seemed very similar to the first one. Doc Ock was great, way better than the Green Goblin... The only real negative thing i have heard about the movie was a friend thought the Spidey/MJ if-were-together-you'll-always-be-in-danger was stupid, shes constantly getting ****ed over anyway
What was with the number of american flags in the movie, do all American houses have a dazzling huge american flag flying above their front doors
Old 07-14-2004, 02:38 AM   #3
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
American flags? I've seen the movie twice and didn't notice that...I know that a lot of surburban areas do have people displaying the flag, but not EVERY house (not mine, anyway).
Old 07-15-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
soundtrack for the movie is awesome. havent seen the movie yet. but the soundtrack has bands like

dashboard confessional
maroon 5
yellowcard
hoobastank
smile empty soul
jet
taking back sunday

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

the movie looks pretty cool i don't know when I will be able to see it but I really can't wait to!

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:31 AM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I didn't see the first one, but I've heard the second one is better. I even got tears in my eyes a few times like in the subway scene when he saved the people then was going to pass out and they saved him, and were saying things like "he's only a kid", and then put themselves in front of him to save him from Doc Ock.

We took all the kids (14, 9 and 8) and they liked it, too, but we had to cover up the two youngest's eyes in the operating room scene - kinda too much metal pincher thingys grabbing people's heads, etc.

I haven't seen the first one - I just borrowed it from someone, and I think the kids and I will watch it over lunch tomorrow. My oldest son saw it and liked it.

I like how Doc Ock was a more complex character than usually found in comic book theme movies - actually good at first, then overcome with grief and electronics *looks suspiciously at her computer and decides to unplug it tonight * and then he takes heroic responsibility for his actions at the end, even tho it means he'll die.

Lots of little funny scenes, too!

Dunst is kinda funny looking, tho.

EDIT - I noticed the flags, too, Millane - lots of people fly the flags on holidays, but not most other days. I think that it's supposed to take place in the 50's or so, or maybe even during WW2? and I think it was more common to have flags out then.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 07-19-2004 at 01:34 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 06:54 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I was unthrilled. It was so disjointed. It didnt really have a flow to it. And it was of course horribly predictable which a movie can get away with but when theres other weaknesses it compounds things. And there was just waaaay too much of the REALLY BAD DAY thing being pushed for at least half the movie. My god let up on that. We get the idea that Peter Parker is apparently a walking version of Murphy's Law. And what was with the whole not being able to cast webs thing? I didnt get that. Im assuming they wanted us to think that was psychosomatic? But in the comics isnt his web making ability partly developed becuase he is a "boy genious" with chemistry and science and what not? I thought he created those devices himself to accentuate his new spider like powers. A true comic head will have to help me out with that one. But it just seemed so odd. He would be swinging around and suddenly *no web* aaahhh!! hed fall and break a car or two and then just get up and walk home. It didnt really seem to phase him. He just kinda shrugged and went on. If you were a super hero and you were inexplicably losing your most notorious super power wouldnt you be REALLY concerned? Maybe its just me.

And what was with him constantly taking his mask off!! What the hell!! That just made the whole thing kind of dubious to me. That and just how much punishment these super people can take knocking each other into buildings and girders at limb shedding speeds. Apparently when he falls ten stories off a roof head first onto a car he can hurt his back and get a few cuts but when the octopus dude launches him like a missile into stone buildings he can shake it off and come right back. Not to mention spiderman can apparently lift an entire building.... Im thinking they wrote in a bit too much superman in this character for some reason.

And in the end the movie just seemed like a comic. Nothing terribly special. No real twists. All predictable. A few funny lines (the elevator scene was good). But thats about it. Id say the first one was mildly better then this one and I wasnt thrilled with the first one either but at least it seemed a little tighter and better pieced together.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:36 PM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I saw most of the first one last night. Wow - the special effects have improved so much just in the time between the two movies!

IRex - it's just basically a fun summer movie, but I think it was above average for its genre, and had some v. good moments. I wouldn't watch it again, but enjoyed it very much for what it was.

I thought the web-losing thing was a reflection on his indecision about keeping his Spiderman persona.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:00 PM   #9
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
I was unthrilled. It was so disjointed.

i thought i was like the only person in the world who didnt like it. i just thought it was kind of boring, and a little too emotional. i also thought the beginning(where his life is all horrible)was overly depressing, and the end was overly joyous. i also didnt like what happened to dock ock at the end.

Ah caught you smiling at me, That's the way it should be,
Like a leaf is to a tree, so fine.
Ah all the good times we had, I sang love songs so glad
Always smiling, never sad, so fine.
As we walk down the country lanes, I'll be singing a song,
Hear me calling your name.
Hear the wind within the trees, Telling Mother Nature 'bout you and me.

"Yeah.And Grizzly Adams had a beard."

'Grizzly Adams did have a beard."

Last edited by Fat middle : 08-08-2004 at 07:56 AM. Reason: fixing quote tags
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:10 PM   #10
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

[QUOTE=The Lady of the Wood]
Quote:
I was unthrilled. It was so disjointed.

i thought i was like the only person in the world who didnt like it. i just thought it was kind of boring, and a little too emotional. i also thought the beginning(where his life is all horrible)was overly depressing, and the end was overly joyous. i also didnt like what happened to dock ock at the end.
Im with ya on all counts sister. I just didnt understand why people thought it was such an awsome film. Either one of em.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:17 AM   #11
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
And what was with the whole not being able to cast webs thing? I didnt get that. Im assuming they wanted us to think that was psychosomatic? But in the comics isnt his web making ability partly developed becuase he is a "boy genious" with chemistry and science and what not? I thought he created those devices himself to accentuate his new spider like powers. A true comic head will have to help me out with that one. But it just seemed so odd. He would be swinging around and suddenly *no web* aaahhh!! hed fall and break a car or two and then just get up and walk home. It didnt really seem to phase him. He just kinda shrugged and went on. If you were a super hero and you were inexplicably losing your most notorious super power wouldnt you be REALLY concerned? Maybe its just me.
In the comic books he makes his own web cartrigas(sp) as well as in the Classic Spiderman cartoon.

I thought the movie was way better than the first one. It showed mre depth, but, like IR, i thought him losing his powers was kinda stupid and pointless

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:48 AM   #12
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I agree with you, IRex. I thought the first movie was way better than the second. But the best thing about the second is that Peter Parker's struggle acquires more depth and his character consequently acquiers a new dimension. Doc oc was a lot better than the Green Goblin, too but that didn't make up for the rest of the points that IRex already mentioned.

P.S. Spiderman 3 sounds even more depressing what with the revival of Green Goblin and all, wouldn't you say?
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 04:34 AM   #13
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Ah well, I'm one of the people who loved the film and thought it waaaay better than the first one. Greatly watchable, pace pretty good throughout - and I could even cope with Spiderman not being able to throw his webs in places and falling mid-leap. But there were one or two moments where it got a bit schmaltzy, I thought, and Aunt May's speech seemed to go on for EVER! (Does she or doesn't she at that stage know who Spiderman is? It certainly sounded like she did.)

I found his mask constantly coming off rather disconcerting, especially when a load of people saw who he was on the train - I can't believe that amongst all that lot there wouldn't, realistically, have been at least one nosy reporter, or someone with a camera, or someone who'd want to go sell a story later (even in the '60s ). For me he loses a lot of his powers as a superhero once everyone people start knowing who he is ... though maybe the sympathy did go some way to counteracting the Daily Bugle editor (whose performance, incidentally, I thought was great )

One of the things I liked most was Spiderman swinging between the buildings, and the athleticism of his moves. It all seemed really joyous, and really made up for there not having been that much in the first film (did I hear somewhere that the designer of that had a lot of stuff dropped in the first film, but in response to critics much more was put in in the second?)

But there was one thing that kept distracting me. Just WHY do both the leads have those hanging eyelids? Makes them look like off set they're non-stop partying ...

(PS how do you do spoilers?)

(PPS several hours later ....
ah, I've just found out!

Last edited by Hemel : 07-24-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:32 PM   #14
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i loved it it was awsome! the best superhero movie i have seen! i loved doc ock alfred molina was perfect!
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:11 PM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I thought it was a great movie and was way better than the first.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote