Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Saddam Hussein: US Show Trial?

Defence lawyers for Saddam Hussein are saying they are being denied access to their client and claim that the judge and the court have no validity and thus are illegal. I think it is impossible for Saddam to recieve a fair trial in Iraq: how can the Iraqis be victims and at the same time jurors?
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Thats how its supposed to work. If a person commits a crime against the "state" in england (spying, fraud, theft of state owned goods, etc.) arent they to be tried by a jury composed of residents of that state?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

This is all sort of an unusual thing. Saddam Hussein was head-of-state and absolute ruler - so it's not quite right that he was breaking laws of Iraq... since he was THE law in Iraq.

However, to claim that this court and the procedings have no legitimacy would be to claim the same thing about the Nazi War Crimes Tribunals held at Nuremburg following WW2. Even though Saddam Hussein did not break any of his own laws, he should stand trial for his actions by all that is right.

Then the questions to address begin with: 'by whom should he BE tried?' and 'by what standard?'...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i don't think he can ever receive a 'fair' trial, the nature of his crimes make it impossible... but i prefer a more international kind of trial, like the one milosivich is under... to one that is solely controlled by iraq

either way though... i don't think his guilt is in question... what i find more interesting is who his 'partners in crime' might be... many countries, including the US, France, the former Soviet Union, etc., have had ties/relations with saddam in the past... i wonder how much may come out that we do not already know
Old 07-01-2004, 05:18 PM   #5
Janny
The Blobbit

The thing that struck me most was the discussion of the death penalty. Of course in the USA and the Arab world this is standard, but you forget this when you live in the UK.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 04:12 AM   #6
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

One point I've seen raised is that his crimes were "crimes against humanity" and therefore an international court would be appropriate. While they were held in Germany, the Nuremberg were international.

I would have thought that it would be harder for him to utilise the "I was president, so whateverI did was legal at the time" defence in an international court.

On the other hand, there is definitely something symbolic and important about him being tried by Iraqis.

It's interesting that his attack on Iran was left off the charge sheet. I wonder why?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:11 AM   #7
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
It's interesting that his attack on Iran was left off the charge sheet. I wonder why?
maybe because of certain assistance he received