Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

The sport of Christ: Fishing

I, me being in Australia on extended holiday before anyone asks, went fishing off the south of Victoria, a southern state of OZ. My mates and I had a great couple of days, pulling in Trevally, Whiting, the odd Salmon, and Snapper. Does anyone else love to fish?
Old 04-24-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

This thread has been re-opened.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:55 PM   #3
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

A thread can be re-opened? I didn't know that.

oh, sorry on topic-
I tried fishing once, didn't catch a thing, haven't tried it since.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:32 PM   #4
Mercutio

I love to fish! Freshwater, that is. I've never been saltwater fishing. I think it wouldn't be too interesting to me--One ocean/bay is like the next. Around here there are lots of mountain streams (really fun to fish in, wade around, play with toy boats!), some big rivers, and various size lakes.

Haven't gone in a while though...too busy. I also like canoeing (while fishing).

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:26 PM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I enjoyed fishing as a child, it seemed fun and exciting. Now I feel the fish's pain. No fishing for me.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:19 AM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

My dad used to take me fishing sometimes. We had those little reel thingies that you wound the twine around yourself rather than a fishing-rod. I remember that my brother got a real (reel!) fishing rod when he was ten or so, and I wanted one as well, so my dad got me one, and we all went fishing. Too bad I didn't practice how to properly cast-off, because I forgot to remember to hold onto the rod when casting-off. I can still remember dad's look of shock when I dropped my new rod into the harbour....
Old 04-25-2004, 05:07 AM   #7
Hemel
Elven Warrior

I have done a lot of fishing. Both sea and freshwater, since I was quite small. I have my very own split cane rod, which was specially designed for me, and also made to look very old with intermediate whippings and with agate rings. It has my RL name on it, and is signed by the rodmaker for me. It's quite beautiful ... and the first time ever I used it I caught a fish
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
azalea
Long lost mooter

I went fishing a lot from the time I was very young. My grandparents owned a small boat, and after they sold it we'd still rent boats or go deep sea fishing. My biggest was a 9 pound cod. But when I became a vegetarian, I stopped fishing and would just go along for the ride.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #9
Millane
The Dude

Re: The sport of Christ: Fishing

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenir_LacDanan
I, me being in Australia on extended holiday before anyone asks, went fishing off the south of Victoria, a southern state of OZ. My mates and I had a great couple of days, pulling in Trevally, Whiting, the odd Salmon, and Snapper. Does anyone else love to fish?
where were you fishing?, i live in Bendigo (about an hour and a half north of melbourne) and theres quite a few good little places to fish around here, the closest (though not the best spot for fishing) is Lake Eppalock but its down a fair bit with the lack of rain, last place i went fishing would have been Cancurran and that was about 5 years ago, i love fishing but when your a lazy **** like me its not surprising that its 5 years between going fishing
Old 04-25-2004, 08:53 AM   #10
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
My dad used to take me fishing sometimes. We had those little reel thingies that you wound the twine around yourself rather than a fishing-rod. I remember that my brother got a real (reel!) fishing rod when he was ten or so, and I wanted one as well, so my dad got me one, and we all went fishing. Too bad I didn't practice how to properly cast-off, because I forgot to remember to hold onto the rod when casting-off. I can still remember dad's look of shock when I dropped my new rod into the harbour....
My story is pretty much the same. The only thing I ever caught, I caught with that reel thingy. It was a shark. Okay, just a sand shark.

On my first outing with a rod, the rod snapped. The end of my fishing career.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:19 AM   #11
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Yeh i fish quite a bit when im over in Ireland with my cousins, its really fun. Just a nice activity to chill out relaxing to the sound of running water...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
This thread has been re-opened.
Why was it closed? Out of interest...

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:03 AM   #12
Hemel
Elven Warrior

It was closed because it had some flamebaity stuff in it. But fortunately that's been removed

I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish-things. Sometimes I get funny about eating fish too, and go off it, but have never stayed off eating it like I did meat. When I was little I used to do things like cockling and winkling and shrimping too, but that isn't quite the same thing as fishing, I suppose
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:50 AM   #13
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i love to fish... i grew up near the shoreline and my father had a boat... we would fish for striped bass, bluefish, flounder, etc.

once i caught a shark that was close to five feet in length... i thought about retrieving my hook, but ended up cutting the line when i got him beside the boat... it didn't seem like such a good idea anymore (it was a metal wire bluefish setup that was somewhat expensive)

i also freshwater fish quite a bit, bass, trout, and salmon when i can get that far north

i haven't done it much in the past four years (other than the pond across from my house and a few charter boat trips), but my kids have expressed some interest, so i hope to do more

i may even buy myself a boat next year after i finish all the remodling i'm doing this summer
Old 04-25-2004, 10:50 AM   #14
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Re: Re: The sport of Christ: Fishing

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
where were you fishing?, i live in Bendigo (about an hour and a half north of melbourne) and theres quite a few good little places to fish around here, the closest (though not the best spot for fishing) is Lake Eppalock but its down a fair bit with the lack of rain, last place i went fishing would have been Cancurran and that was about 5 years ago, i love fishing but when your a lazy **** like me its not surprising that its 5 years between going fishing

Bloody bendigo, Really?! Small world mate, small world. I am in Ballarat, but stay at a mates beachhouses in Quenscliffe, Point Lonsdale, Anglesea and Appollo bay, (depending on which one is available) to go fishing.

Fish generally off jetties for Calamari, Snapper, Trevally and Whitting. Cause I'm at Uni, and get Aus study (a government sponsored money thing designed to keep kids in school, before anyone asks), I have plenty of spare time and money!! Ah, life is good. Drinking beer and fishing. Oh, and apparently getting a degree....
Old 04-25-2004, 10:53 AM   #15
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
Yeh i fish quite a bit when im over in Ireland with my cousins, its really fun. Just a nice activity to chill out relaxing to the sound of running water...

Hey Twist, where abouts in Ireland?
Old 04-25-2004, 11:12 AM   #16
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Little village called Dunlavin, near the town of Nass?

In Wicklow anyways....

Where you live?

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #17
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
Little village called Dunlavin, near the town of Nass?

In Wicklow anyways....

Where you live?
Living in Ballarat Australia right now, but grew up in Waterford. I know Nass, but not Dunlavin.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:10 PM   #18
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

though it has occured to me that the people whom use forums and boards to talk to people, as opposed to regular means, are less likely to be away from their keyboard, and thus are less likely to fish. See, fishing, is quite the outdoors sport, as our dear Americans would put it.

One must commit to the chase, or be left behind...
Old 04-26-2004, 05:14 PM   #19
Mercutio

Quote:
though it has occured to me that the people whom use forums and boards to talk to people, as opposed to regular means, are less likely to be away from their keyboard, and thus are less likely to fish. See, fishing, is quite the outdoors sport, as our dear Americans would put it.

One must commit to the chase, or be left behind...
I completely agree....maybe I'll go outside and play/run around with my dog. He needs excerise and is bored to death anyway.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #20
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
put me on a boat with a laptop and some wireless satillite access and i'd be all set