Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2003, 07:48 AM   #161
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

I agree with you there Eärniel. Going to MA classes doesn't nessesarily mean that you want to become Bruce Lee. When training once a week you'd get a little extra confidence as well as getting a little into shape (once a week may not proove sufficient though to get into real shape, but it might be enough to ease your mind in a rather hasty and rushing everyday-life). One thing that also is nice about MA is that its classes isn't age-sorted that heavily. There are children, youth and grownups classes where I live. Grownups being from 18 to ->, so I practise with people that are over 60 years of age! What amazes me is their ability to actually do a lot of the same things us 20 year old students do, and one of them has even astma!

What is the most important in my opinion when exercising, is to do so because it is fun. Martial Arts is a lot more fun then going to the gym and lift weights!
Old 05-31-2003, 01:26 PM   #162
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yes older students tend not to have egos nor rely on strength and so focus on the technique which is the key in any martial art. As for the remarks about low kicking, Bruce Lee said this ages ago and it still holds true. In a fight you will always kick lower than you train so go for waist high and you'll have a better chance of groin, shin, thigh damage to your opponent.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:21 PM   #163
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

I can't work this quote business, but Arat-Falthion on page 8 reckons that "MA isn't handy (for the normal human being) in a streetfight" unless you're around a black belt. So what's the point of self-defence if it doesn't work? Or does someone want to comment on this? The little I've learned so far seems pretty handy (in its measure, of course), and the style has been made more suitable to Europeans rather than the typical oriental build.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:43 PM   #164
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well I thought the same thing too! I wanted my son to take karate to learn some self control, and pick up some self defense skills! That's why I now ask....what will a "macho" little boy get out of it? He thinks learning karate would be "cool"! Maybe the wrestling would be better?
Old 06-01-2003, 06:47 PM   #165
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

Karate or something similar would probably be better for self-control, I would think, than wrestling. Get him on it while he thinks it's cool, I say.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:56 PM   #166
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Self control! Oh my God! He needs buckets of that, the little precious darlin! Well, I'll decide sometime this week.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:30 PM   #167
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

there are always gangs and local lock ups to teach street effectiveness during periods when you're not behind bard.
values take longer to embed themselves into someoes brain pattern but do much more positive things over time.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:09 PM   #168
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Quote:
I can't work this quote business, but Arat-Falthion on page 8 reckons that "MA isn't handy (for the normal human being) in a streetfight" unless you're around a black belt. So what's the point of self-defence if it doesn't work?
Quote:
Well I thought the same thing too! I wanted my son to take karate to learn some self control, and pick up some self defense skills! That's why I now ask....what will a "macho" little boy get out of it? He thinks learning karate would be "cool"! Maybe the wrestling would be better?
Yes, you do learn some trix that "might" help you on the streets. But if you face a guy that is a lot bigger then you, or you fight 2 or more people, or you fight an armed man, then you must know a little bit more then the "just became blackbelt" guy that practise 3 days a week.

Yes, ofcurse you might hurt your opponent(s), but your odds for getting out of there unharmed and victorious is minimal. You do learn to hit vital spots, and you do learn techniques to block, dodge and counter attacks, you even learn to fight several people and armed people. Never the less, if this is going to work effectivly you'd have to practise it into the pure reaction of the mind, working it into the unconsiousness, and that takes time and a lot of hard work.

Because people don't go to fighting classes doesn't meen they can't puch, kick, throw, lock. Taking classes like this will help the "normal" learners confidense and might help from seriouse injury, but it does not meen this person can go around and kick away on whatever comes his/her way. Only Steven Segal can fight twenty people without getting hit even once

But seriously, is this the most importen thing when learning MA? In my opinion the fysical as well as mental training is by far the most important. You get in good shape, you learn (hopefully) to control your temper, you become more tolerant and calm to people eyeing you or speaking harshly to you (because you have the confidense needed to face them and talk yourself out of it). After I started MA I got this good feeling inside, and this wasn't because I thought I could kick ass, but because MA do indeed have a healing power on people.

I'd say, get your kids into MA as soon as possible. It will do them good! I believe arts like Karate is a good art to let a kid start in (you learn punches, kicks and throws. A little of everything (correct me if I am totaly wrong here)), then, as they grow older, they might deside to go to another art that fit their likings and desire better.

I know this former karate kid that went to Thai boxing right after he got his karate blackbelt, simply because he wanted to get tougher and to strengthen his body more then the karate lessons provided (I do not know what form of karate this was).

Oh well... remember, this is my opinion on the matter.

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 06-02-2003 at 04:14 PM.
Arat-Falathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 05:11 PM   #169
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

You forgot that it teaches you to RUN. Disable and run.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 05:19 PM   #170
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Arat-Falathion
Yes, you do learn some trix that "might" help you on the streets. But if you face a guy that is a lot bigger then you, or you fight 2 or more people, or you fight an armed man, then you must know a little bit more then the "just became blackbelt" guy that practise 3 days a week.
I don't think I will ever be able to use any nice move I learn in karate class on the street. Unless I get really good which is, knowing myself, not that likely. I don't really look forward to finding it out either.

But if I ever do come face to face with a guy that is a lot bigger (that's not really difficult, considering my size) or more than one guy I can assure you I won't even think about putting up a fight. I'd do like BoP said: Run.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:01 AM   #171
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Yeh, running is good
Old 06-03-2003, 11:36 AM   #172
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

My first principle is "avoid". Disable and run are the next things to do. Basically for self defense I was taught and taught others to learn and be comfortable with no more than three techniques so that you can perform them effortlessly (presuming you aren't a long time student). Most situations can be handled by a)avoiding, b) using one technique and leaving the scene.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:27 PM   #173
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Look at Jackie Chan. If martial arts have made him over confident, I don't know..

From Bright Lights Film Journal

I first met Jackie Chan in 1980, in a crowded coffee shop in the Ding Hoa section of Taipei, Taiwan...Jackie seemed very self-confident, even cocky; so much so that the women accompanying him appeared uneasy. The crowd struggled closer to catch a glimpse of the greatest actor in Chinese film since the legendary Bruce Lee, and Jackie's two bodyguards had to push them aside to clear a path. Jackie just laughed; he seemed not to notice the crowd....

He has since then cultivated a persona of nice guy.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 06-21-2003 at 11:48 PM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 10:39 PM   #174
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

People who study MA are humans are human just like anyone else.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 06-21-2003 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:55 PM   #175
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Basically for self defense I was taught and taught others to learn and be comfortable with no more than three techniques so that you can perform them effortlessly

Eventhough Spock can be a Onara atama at times.

I have to agree here. Though I might a few more than 3. I am not a profession soldier (or an any kind of soldier for that matter)
Do not have the time to train to be a professional warrior. For self defense devoid of any spiritaul underpennings just the biological imperative of self preservation "hand full" of techniques would seem adequate.

'Dern Helm"

Old 06-21-2003, 11:06 PM   #176
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I think what prompted me to start this thread was the response to the UFC.

I reads so many articles with martial arts some quite well known saying that they would do this and that. I was shocked by the "over confidence" of these well known artists.

'Dern Helm"

Old 06-22-2003, 12:17 AM   #177
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Eventhough Spock can be a Onara atama at times.

I have to agree here. Though I might a few more than 3. I am not a profession soldier (or an any kind of soldier for that matter)
Do not have the time to train to be a professional warrior. For self defense devoid of any spiritaul underpennings just the biological imperative of self preservation "hand full" of techniques would seem adequate.
I SAY Oray no shieta koto jenai TO ONE WHO WOULD ATTACK ME IN THIS MANNER. Tameguchi kitten ja ney o
Old 06-22-2003, 12:22 AM   #178
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

General thoughts

So if someone suddenly and randomly attacks your wife and children, then running would be the best way to defend them?? You don't always have the option to run. Not all situations merit running. Have you ever been suddenly and violently attacked??
I never said running is wrong, I said that it's not always an option.

All you can do is train for a situation which is just as much mental as physical

As far as the most effective art....not any one art that's for sure

Basically, if it helps to defend yourself learn it. But do understand that not everything out there is good, and effective in a self-defense situation, find the ones that are..they will give the tools necessary to succed on the street, without it you have nothing

'Dern Helm"

Old 06-22-2003, 12:34 AM   #179
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

[QUOTE]Originally posted by afro-elf
[B]General thoughts

So if someone suddenly and randomly attacks your wife and children, then running would be the best way to defend them??THIS PRESUMES I AM PRESENT? FIRST TRY TO DEFLECT THE ATTACT OR ATTACKERS; FIND OUT WHAT THEIR OBJECTIVE IS. BARING THAT STRIKE OUT AT THE FIRST AND CLOSEST PERSON LAYING T HEM OUT ACROSS THE FIELD OF FOLLOWERS. USE TECHNIQUES THAT INCAPACITATE NOT JUST INJURE OR YOU'LL BE FIGHTING THESE PEOPLE OVER AGAIN VERY SHORTLY.

WHEN FACED WITH A WALL OR A BLOCKED EXCAPE ROUTE YOU MUST DEVISE A WAY THROUGH, A WAY AROUND OR DECIDE TO MAKE YOUR STAND AND TAKE ANY MEASURE NECESSARY TO DESTROY THOSE WHO COME AT YOU THOUGH IT MAY MEAN INJURY TO BOTH SIDES. NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO INTERFERE IN YOUR DAILY LIVES IF THEY BE HONESTLY BEING PERSUED. *Avoid, distract, injure, mame, break, kill. Those are the orde and the options open in such scenarios.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:36 AM   #180
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

oyoh!

I am your mentor................respect me.........and challenge me to a duel!hiyee!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote