Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2003, 07:45 AM   #121
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

EXK, I saw your pics in the "Picture of Me" thread. You're hot.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:46 AM   #122
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

You know full well the best way to annoy me is tho steal either my hat or my glasses, but i dont kill unless i'm being payed.

Anyway accents, of all uk ones scottish is my fave.

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:47 AM   #123
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

EXK's gone to art class i'm afraid.

Smirnoff, black label and archers can be got anywhere in the world. smirnoff is good, except it makes me think of the smurfs

my LJ
Old 01-21-2003, 07:48 AM   #124
elendili
Elven Warrior

um Hardys red wine

anyone else agree that tequila is just petrol in a bottle yuck

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:54 AM   #125
Baby-K
Corruptor

I know you can find the stuff all over the world......... ag nevermind.

Tequila should be drunk when you are already drunk - it also tastes better when someone else buys it for you
Old 01-21-2003, 07:59 AM   #126
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

sorry i wasnt being snotty, i was just agreeing that there's good stuff out there.
And i certainly agree on the tequila front

my LJ
Old 01-21-2003, 08:00 AM   #127
elendili
Elven Warrior

it was bought for me and still yuck

one tequila, two tequila, three tequila FLOOR

brummies and scousers have the worst accents

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:24 AM   #128
Baby-K
Corruptor

DS - I wasn't implying that you were being snotty - no worries (sorry if it came across as such). I was just trying to get something done - working on budgets for the branches in my area - I have 26 mil to run 15 branches for a year, how pathetic - I can drink that out in a year

E - If tequila makes you fall, then perhaps that's the best place to be??? I mean you can just suck it from the floorboards & all.....

Have you ever noticed how super intelligent we all become when we are drunk? I think governments all over the world should drink more - Welcome to my World!!!!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:45 AM   #129
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
EXK - best drinking game is 30 seconds & never ever.

I know why Brits can drink more - their beer is weaker
Well, as to that, I can quite safely say, I hate beer and never drink it. So that is not oe of the reasons i can drink! *grin* And yes, never ever would be the same game i think, but me being lazy call it as short a name as possible.

Quote:
Anyway we have scottish whiskey. you can't beat a decent scottish single malt drinking contest. jack daniels doesnt even come close.
Oh yeah? I know, I like Scot single malt too, yet JD is still good. And therefore i will challenge ye, to drink 6 shots. (I know not much, but i want her to remember.) Then the next day, you must drink 6 of single malt, and we will see quite clearly, that you are just as plastered. *grin*

Quote:
i'm more a beer girl than a lager lass
That did not rhyme, elendili. Clearly i will have to set up our english classes again, so we might revise the simple things...

Quote:
actually I am a wine drinker & SA makes some of the best in the world
That i can agree with! I love wine, and SA wine is always good.

Quote:
one tequila, two tequila, three tequila FLOOR
Actually, it's 1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, 4....5 tequila, 6 tequila, 7 tequila FLOOR! But of course, i'm sure it's just me who takes 7+ tequila's to get to the floor.

Quote:
EXK's gone to art class i'm afraid.
And a mighty waste of time that was!

Quote:
EXK, I saw your pics in the "Picture of Me" thread. You're hot.
Thanks Andúril, you remember when we have our drinking contest, I am 18. (I will be by then anyway) You realise those pics are at least a year old now. I really must post the newest ones of me and my chinese dress up.
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:17 AM   #130
Baby-K
Corruptor

EXK - you'll have to beat me baby! Unless of course your 1 tequila, like mine is a bottle?????? Besides only people with drinking problems fall - I don't have 1, I drink, I fall, I get up & drink again - no problem!

Perhaps you'd join me for a Stroh Rum (or 2 or 3 or 4...)? And a couple of suitcases.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:24 AM   #131
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
EXK - you'll have to beat me baby! Unless of course your 1 tequila, like mine is a bottle?????? Besides only people with drinking problems fall - I don't have 1, I drink, I fall, I get up & drink again - no problem!

Perhaps you'd join me for a Stroh Rum (or 2 or 3 or 4...)? And a couple of suitcases.
Ooooooh, a challenger! If only I were closer. Perhaps if you and Andúril got together and had a drinkng contest, the winner could come to England and find me Or not.

Oh well. On my world travels, I shall come forth to SA and drink. And drink.

Also, that's exactly what I've always said, about the drinking problems.

There are three kinds of people in this world: Those that make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what the hell happened. *grin*
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:28 AM   #132
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
EXK:
*snip*

Thanks Andúril, you remember when we have our drinking contest, I am 18. (I will be by then anyway) You realise those pics are at least a year old now. I really must post the newest ones of me and my chinese dress up.
Feeling a little unsure, are we now?

Anyway, yes, post your newest pics. Pics of hot chicks are never unwelcome.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:30 AM   #133
Baby-K
Corruptor

Heeheehee - I love a challenge - you & Andúril can practise & then come to Jo'burg to drink with the people who really know how. By the way I think Elendili was referring to the alliteration of Lager Lass (that's a half rhyme).

Couldn't be too difficult finding you - just ask for the only drunk not passed out in a corner

The best cure for jet lag is drinking copious amounts of the water from the fountain of wisdom
Old 01-21-2003, 09:40 AM   #134
Baby-K
Corruptor

Gawd - compared to you guys I feel ancient - my 18th birthday seems soooooooooo long ago

Not to worry - that's why Pollyfilla was invented
Old 01-21-2003, 05:40 PM   #135
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Please get back onto the topic of accents.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:59 PM   #136
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I'll ignore the several anti-American posts that occurred on page 6 and refrain from pointing out all the ways that America is far superior than Britain.

New Jersey doesn't really have an accent, only the north eastern section does and that's just a carry over from New York. The Soprano's is a northeastern NJ accent. But people around the country think that it's state wide - when really it's just a New York accent that crossed the border.

New Jerseyans do not call our state New Joisey - again that's a New York thing - they can't even pronounce their own state and their state name is shorter. No matter where I go - when I say I'm from New Jersey they respond back - "You mean Joisey?" I can't even pronounce it that way and I've never heard a New Jerseyan pronounce it like that - only New Yorkers.

California, Oregon and southern Washington don't really have accents either.

In Indiana they say..
wrassling - wrestling
warshing - washing

Southern Indiana/Kentucky
Looalvoll - Louisville

West Virginia -
collar - color

The only word that I say with what would be considered a New Jersey accent is water which in New Jersey is pronounced wauder. I no longer say axed for asked - which is common in Pennyslvania. My cousins in Hazleton Pennsylvania - a old mining town - have a heavy PA mountain accent (it's actually similar to Buffalo New York)

My mother grew up in Jersey City (which is across the river from NYC). When she moved to central New Jersey right before high school - they made fun of her for her accent. She worked hard at getting rid of it. Edison and Jersey City are only about 15 miles apart.

Everyone in New Jersey would like to know where the h*** Bruce Springsteen got his southern accent from that he's all of a sudden developed. He didn't get it from living here. Also - in The 13th Child (crappy movie about the Jersey Devil which came out this year) all the actors have southern accents.

Famous New Jerseyans who don't have acccents -
Whitney Houston
Frankie Muniz - Malcolm in the Middle
Tom Cruise
Susan Sarandon
Bebe Neuwirth (although I think she might have a slight NY accent)
Christopher Reeve

Danny Devito is a New Jerseyan who has a northeastern New Jersey accent.

In New Jersey there are some people who seem to have a "class syle accent". People who are descended from the original founders of New Jersey are termed "Blue Bloods" and some of them have the accent similar to our former governor - Tom Kean. It's similar to an uppercrust British accent or a maybe a slight Bostonian. Although Kean might have just spent A LOT of time in Massachusettes. But as Khamûl said - the US doesn't really have a class accent - it's all regional.

The greatest complaint I heard while living in the midwest was that I talked too fast. Everyone out there talks so slow. I makes a northerastern person want to finish their sentences for them.

My sister is starting to pick up a southern accent - now that she lives in Tennessee - sounds really weird and I mention it to her. I worked very hard not to pick up the midwest accent while I was in Indiana.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-21-2003 at 09:18 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:39 PM   #137
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Everyone out there talks so slow. I makes a northerastern person want to finish their sentences for them.
So true!

I think that the funniest accent we have in the states is Minnesotan. I can't even describe it, but it always makes me laugh. If you're from Canada, I think it's quite similar to the Manitoban accent--makes sense, because I think they are right across the 49th from each other. Can anyone help me out with examples?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:51 PM   #138
azalea
Long lost mooter

I am a late-comer to this thread, and I just read all 7 pages, so I have a few responses.
I think I've said elsewhere I consider myself half-Scarlett, half-Yankee, because my dad and all his family are from Pennsylvania and New England, and I spent a few formative years in Massachusetts, but my mom and all of her family are from Georgia and Florida, and I was born and spent most of my life in Georgia. Neither of my parents has a heavy accent, and so I truly have no accent (except for "American"). I will slip a little Yankee or a little Southern in from time to time, esp. if I'm with someone that has a heavy accent of either geographical area.
Re: Florida: It was so funny when I moved down here because I've lived in the South for many years, and then I moved about as far south as you can go, and every person I met had a heavy Yankee accent! It was so funny! I think as you travel inland toward northern Florida you get the traditional southern accent, though.
Anduril: I had a couple of college classes w/ a woman from South Africa, and she had a really nice accent, but it is definately different from other English-speaking accents. She pronounced it "Seth Ifrica," well that's as close as my memory gets me. She wrote a story about Seth Ifrica and where she lived there and how she swam with the hippos.
Re: wikkid: That's really not a word you'll hear spoken by a native southerner, though, I think it's mostly a northeastern thing.
The "class" issue: I think there is an element of classism as relates to accents here, but it isn't something people conciously think about. I think that (in fact I think studies have been done) the southern accent is seen as being "low-class" unless it is "posh." Also, anyone with a heavy accent of any kind (besides foreign) is seen as being of lesser intelligence (if only on a subconcious level). I think this is due to the influence of TV, where most people have the "non-accent."
It's funny, my husband is from Ohio, and he said something about the midwestern accent being the one spoken in the media. So I go visit w/ him up there, and I hear "Do you want those deeshes?," "They went to the Splaysh 'n' Baysh," and "Are you gonna leave him go out?" (about the dog), instead of "LET him go out." I teased my husband about that later.
And my uncle on my dad's side (north) moved out to California many years ago. When I saw him after many years had gone by, it was funny to hear his California accent, which I think isn't the exaggerated "surfer dude" (yeeah, meean, fer sher) accent, but a lighter version of that (this is coastal southern CA I'm talking about).
Sexiest accents: definately Scottish and Russian!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 11:01 PM   #139
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea

Re: Florida: It was so funny when I moved down here because I've lived in the South for many years, and then I moved about as far south as you can go, and every person I met had a heavy Yankee accent!
That's because so many east coast northerners move to and retire in Florida, especially rich Jewish ones.
Quote:

The "class" issue: I think there is an element of classism as relates to accents here, but it isn't something people conciously think about. I think that (in fact I think studies have been done) the southern accent is seen as being "low-class" unless it is "posh." Also, anyone with a heavy accent of any kind (besides foreign) is seen as being of lesser intelligence (if only on a subconcious level).
But that's different from having a class accent. A person with a very heavy southern accent can come from a very rich and "old" family. It is true that generally speaking if you have a southern accent people think you're less intelligent. But that's the same if you speak "ebonics", which crazy California actually wanted to teach in school. That's like teaching southern. To sound intelligent one has to have an American dictionary accent - if you are American. American English and English Engish are basically two different languages. It seems as if most English people mumble their words - they don't open their mouth's wide enough or something.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-21-2003 at 11:05 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:49 AM   #140
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
The greatest complaint I heard while living in the midwest was that I talked too fast. Everyone out there talks so slow. I makes a northerastern person want to finish their sentences for them.
Heh, should try talking to an NZer sometime. Or, even worse, an Irish person.