Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-19-2000, 05:03 AM   #1
trevkw

The M.E. Accent

So the movie is being filmed in New Zealand...

What kind of accent will the actors go for for each of the characters? As a citizen of the U.S., I'm not all that familiar with most of the actors. Am I to understand that most of them are from the U.K.? Can anybody give me some perspective on which characters might sound like what, and why (for example, I can't imagine Aragorn speaking aught but the King's English)?

P.S.: If ANY of the major characters speaks American English (Frodo from the U.S.'s deep south: "Ahm sa very tahrd, Sam...ken ah set fer a spell?"), I may spew popcorn all over the person sitting in front of me in the theater (re?). Anyone see "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves?" I love Costner for his baseball flicks, but I almost walked out on that one. It would have been better if he hadn't tried... :P
Old 07-19-2000, 07:46 AM   #2
Griff Nizz

Re: The M.E. Accent

Many of the minor characters will probably have NZ accents seeing as how they will have been hired from here for the parts, but hopefully there will be a mix of accents. I mean people like Richard Gere can change their accent for a movie (The Jackal) so I don't see that some of the actors can't work on it so that they don't sound American. I have nothing against Americans but it just wouldn't go with the movie, unless someone like Butterbur was American
Old 07-20-2000, 01:03 AM   #3
Darth Tater

I'm American, and I sure dont' wanna see no stinkin American accent y'all!
Old 07-20-2000, 08:03 PM   #4
Michael Martinez

I wouldn't mind American accents if the movies were being made in the US with American actors. The movies SHOULD reflect the language and dialects of whatever culture makes them (to be faithful to Tolkien). Unfortunately, commercial film audiences are perceived to expect American accents in popular films, so there WILL be American accents for one or more of the cultures.

On the other hand, a heavy (if misguided) emphasis has been placed on giving Elves and Dwarves BRITISH (not New Zealand) accents. Tolkien would have objected to the practice, as he felt the accents for an adaptation should be comfortable for the target audience (but then, since the target audience is international, I suppose that would be a hopeless cause).

Personally, I think accents could be used effectively to indicate places of origin (which is what Jackson is doing) but people can't seem to agree on any specific combination of accents. People who want everyone to sound like they come from Oxford, Wales, and Scotland are missing the vast point of Tolkien's careful linguistic distinctions between the various regions.

To be faithful to Tolkien, you'd have to determine what the accents of the original languages and cultures were (impossible to do) and use THOSE, and they would NOT sound like British accents at all (with the possible exception of the Rohirrim, whose language Tolkien compared to ancient Anglo-Saxon in tone and accent, although not in form or vocabulary).
Old 07-21-2000, 01:08 AM   #5
Griff Nizz

This whole point of what accent will be used is quite difficult to talk about because everyone thinks of the characters of having a certain accent. Of course each individual has a different idea and Peter Jackson has to pick accents that he thinks will be most popular. It's pretty obvious to me that the Dwarves are going to be stuck with a Scottish accent cause that's what everyone expects. Other than that though I have no idea what he's going to pick for other cultures, as long as there is a variation of accents I think that it will be fine. Hopefully he also uses dialects, having the men of Gondor with one accent, and a variation of that accent for other Humans, showing that they had been separated in the past but still speak similarly. That probably doens't make much sense to anyone but I know what I'm talking about :P

I still stick to Butterbur having an American accent though!
Old 07-21-2000, 01:27 AM   #6
gatito

Just because some actors or from New Zealand does not mean that the characters will have Kiwi accents. Many actors that are from around the globe hide their accents to play certain parts. Very often I am surprised to learn that an actor is not from the US.
Old 07-21-2000, 02:37 AM   #7
K haylan

Due to the recent uproar over JarJar's
accent, I would imagine a bit of care
would have to be extended when using
accents to underscore characterizations.

Most actors worth their salt should be
able to adjust their 'accent',and the
Kiwi cadence can be easily altered to
imitate an Irish lilt or a Yorkshire
patter.

K'haylan
Old 07-21-2000, 03:31 AM   #8
Gilthalion

Middle Earth Accents and Dialects

I am supposed to read THE HOBBIT aloud at the local Barnes & Noble this Fall, and then perhaps each Fall thereafter the three books of LOTR (conveniently before each movie).

In hopes that this will add to the discussion, and help me in a project, I humbly submit the following:

Practicing in front of my wife, I have just finished reading THE HOBBIT aloud for her. Took 10 hours over several nights. I am about to start LOTR. This is how it seems to be working out...

Some hobbits: Irish (Bilbo, Pippin, other Tooks)

Other hobbits: @#%$ney (Sam & Gaffer Gamgee) or Middle Class British (Frodo, Merry)

Elves: Upper Class British (It should have a Welsh feel, but I'm not that familiar or practiced at it.)

Riders of Rohan: Scottish

Dwarves: Swedish

Men of Gondor: Standard American

Orcs/Goblins: French (appropriate since Prof. Tolkien disliked the sound of French)

Other characters require special treatment. I'm afraid I rely on impersonations sometimes. Gandalf will always sound like John Huston to me and that is one thing that the Rankin Bass cartoons got right. Any suggestions? Please?
Old 07-21-2000, 03:36 AM   #9
Gilthalion

Re: Middle Earth Accents and Dialects

Umm, under Other Hobbits, Sam and Gaffer Gamgee would be speaking a kind of London street dialect, West End, I think. (Never been there.) The dialect is called C-ckney, but ezboard kicked the word out in the previous post! Alfred P. Dolittle from MY FAIR LADY would be an example.
Old 07-21-2000, 01:17 PM   #10
bmilder

Nice choices, but I can't help laughing at visions of "Swedish Chef Gimli" or an orc with a beret
Old 07-21-2000, 02:42 PM   #11
Fat middle

i like your choices, but i´m not sure for the French for orcs. Remember that orcish has a lot of "u" in its words, and French people just cannot pronounce "u" as "u" should be pronounced. and no, it´s far from my intention to make a pun

for me, orcish should sound more like German. although i recognize i cannot speak German, i don´t think this choice is based on the filmic prejudices of Germans being always the bad guys
Old 07-21-2000, 08:21 PM   #12
Film Hobbit

The pronounciation of the names Tolkien used will be very important in how the movie plays... accents and dialects always seemed to be a intregal part of the books, even though you could only hear them in your mind... as I am sure Tolkien can. I like the picks you guys have here so far, though I'm not sure if Rohan should really be Scottish. German or French would suit the Orcs well... but for some reason the thought of French accented Orcs just feels right despite the problems with pronounciation of the U.
Old 07-22-2000, 02:47 AM   #13
IronParrot

You know, after several readings of LOTR, every single time Sam's "voice" as I imagine it in my head based on how he is written gets more and more American... I'll try to find an example of what I mean, but... has anyone else noticed this?
Old 07-22-2000, 04:32 AM   #14
arynetrek

Sam's accent

here's their accents according the the mind of aryne ...

Frodo - upper-class english
Sam - yorkshire
other hobbits - choose from yorkshire, cawkney (who put that word in the censor?), or scottish
Aragorn - London with vaguely Spanish or Italian influences
Gimli - arabic
Elf women - welsh
Elf men (?!?)-
Boromir - like a rude american
Gandalf - London theater (or just steal Patrick Stewart's voice)
Rohan - eastern european
Gondor - corrupted London
Orcs - combine Klingon with russian
Gollum - one long hissing breath
Bombadil - undistinguished American
Eowyn - very, very slight german

aryne *
Old 07-22-2000, 04:35 AM   #15
arynetrek

i'm an elf!

I'M AN ELF!
WOO-HOO!

awaiting Valinor,
aryne *
Old 07-22-2000, 06:32 AM   #16
Michael Martinez

Re: i'm an elf!

I would not try to affect accents while reading the story aloud. I think that would be very disatracting, and the chance of your making an error increases. All the jargon used by Tolkien for certain characters comes straight from England. If you're determined to use accents, you should use only English accents and dispense with the foreign ones.

Though I may seem to be contradicting myself, I think that if a single person tries to read the book aloud, the book should be read as naturally as possible so that the reader doesn't get in the way of the story.
Old 07-22-2000, 07:35 AM   #17
Fat middle

perhaps a good choice would be an "historic performance", ie, reading it like Tolkien would have read it.

... and we have records of his readings. i have only heard a few fragments, but i think to remember he didn´t play accents though he played slightly change of voices specially for some characters.

has anybody hear his readings in full?
Old 07-23-2000, 08:57 AM   #18
noldo

I think that the sindar and noldor should speak different accents. The language of the sindar was affected by Welsh, the second dearest language to Tolkien, and quenya as a matter of fact had a whole lot of Finnish to it.
Old 07-23-2000, 12:56 PM   #19
Gilthalion

Accents and Dialects

After reading THE HOBBIT aloud I appreciate the concern about doing different dialects and maintaining a performance. Difficult, but not impossible, and there seem to be an irreducable amount of bobbles anyway.

I've read aloud, doing live newscasts, infomercials, impersonations and narrations for years. This is performance art of the highest caliber. Not as difficult as reading the King James Bible aloud or Shakespeare, but very rewarding.

If you practice long readings, you find that both yourself and the audience become caught up so in the story that you rarely have to "think" of what you are doing. It just happens. Actors on stage feel the same thing. (Though I wish I had more rehersals under my belt for this project.)

I chose Upper Class English for Aragorn because he was raised by Elves, and I share the consideration that this of all dialects should reflect Tolkien's own. The Elvish languages are based on Welsh and Finnish. Impractical for me and the audience. (Aragorn tends to sound like Ronald Coleman.)

Tolkien readings are available on the Harper publishing site. He reads his poetry very quickly, doing the same with Entish. A little too quickly for an audience of Americans. He did a C-ockney (sort of) dialect for Sam and the Troll Song! (Which he sings!)

I chose Scottish for the Riders of Rohan because I can't do Old English or Anglo Saxon, or whatever Tolkien based it on. This also ties in with Irish for the Tooks. I must say, that the emotional speeches of these Riders (not to mention Eowyn) are really enhanced by a thick Scottish burr. (No, I won't do Scotty.)

As for Klingons, I'm thinking of Michael Dorn for Boromir.

OTHERS

Wormtongue: Peter Lorre

Saruman: I'll try Christopher Lee! Great casting!

Gandalf: John Huston

Barliman: Walter Brennan (but not as country) Someone thought he should sound American and I agree.

Head Healer in Minas Tirith: Robert Morely

Thank you all for your help, suggestions, and stray thoughts! Gimme more!
Old 07-23-2000, 03:28 PM   #20
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Accents and Dialects

I know that Peter Jackson said humans would have a american accent but I don't remember for the other races... someone else knows?