Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-13-2002, 07:26 AM   #101
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

You seem to be easily offended and quick to anger. I assumed that we were just engaged in a dialouge. Many people here disagree and can still carry on discussion without becoming flustered. I have never had any animosity towards you. If you read the post after the my last ninja you would see I was asking you an amicible query. Which you seemed to ignore. There are a few post here were I replied with, LOL or a eventhough we disagreed on if this thread should be closed.

Its like your comment in the kids thread.

Quote:
YOUR REMARKS DID NOT MENTIONS SPECIFICS THEY WERE OFFHANDED AND DIRISIVE OF THE ART AS A WHOLE
THIS IS UTTERLY FALSE I posted this on 7-30-2002

there are those that practice it as an art and it is just like any other martial art. .... then there are those that are flat off the wall and just plain foolish. talking about magic, levitation, being unpeneratable and other such mystic type hollabaloo. so some is real some is fake. depends who your instructor is i guess.

It's the latter that i'm truly leary of. Like people who buy books like " Ninja Magic

again I repeat

You also have also failed to see that there is a difference between dismissing out of hand or just saying something is bull and expressing doubt about certain historical, mythological and mystical aspects of ninjiutsu.

I quoted above that some is real.

You say : YOU'RE THE ONE WHO REPEATEDLY STATED YOU DIDN'T THINK IT WAS "REAL" AND THAT THE CLAIMS WERE FALSE

AE
Quote:
Ninjutsu ...umm I'm QUITE skeptical
This is a remark about ELFMASTER XK learning ninjitsu in England.
How am I insulting the art here?

Quote:
I'm not sure I believe you.
I did not say this WAYFARER did.

Here is what seemed to unbalanced you.
Quote:
Just because it is a licensed art by the Japanese Government does make it `real`
All I said was that SOLELY licensing does not make an art real. Here is the only state that is condesending. which i said :

All you have said is that it is recognized by the government and that there old scrolls with pictures

Yes that ONE was a rough remark.

Quote:
INFERANCE SHOULD FOLLOW ANYONE WHO INTERPRETS LANGUAGE FOR SPEECH.
From what I posted above you seem to have fallen prey to this yourself

Quote:
BECAUSE I'VE ATTEMPTED TO PASS ON GENUINE INFORMATION IN THE HOPES OF PIQUING INTEREST OF THOSE WHO INQUIRED ABOUT THIS IN THE BEGINNING
and I was sincerely asking for MORE info here:

Quote:
HE WHO KNOWS NOT AND KNOWS NOT THAT HE KNOWS NOT IS A FOOL, SHUN HIM
I guess will both agree about the other on this point.

again I say

Quote:
I assumed that we were just engaged in a dialouge. Many people here disagree and can still carry on discussion without becoming flustered. I have never had any animosity towards you.

Even NOW I have no ill will towards you. I am rather sad that you ran away becuase I thought that you were going to post some more information about the arts AND answer some non
ninja questions as I asked here:

Quote:
Spock you mention being 'OLD'. Is it over 50? Do you still train in Jujitsu?
But as they say in Japan "Zen Zen Mon Die Nigh"

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 06:59 PM   #102
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Old 09-22-2002, 11:38 PM   #103
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

This emoticon has two meanings

one is embarrasment

the other is yawn

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 09-26-2002, 07:42 PM   #104
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

To everybody. Who is your favorite martials "actor"

'Dern Helm"

Old 09-26-2002, 07:47 PM   #105
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
To everybody. Who is your favorite martials "actor"
ty for continuing this thread......it has always been an interesting read.

Personally..........Jackie Chan, I do not think violence is anything to laugh about but he has a manic charisma I find hilarious, with the added bonus of "if I can't do it, I don't expect anyone else to it" atitude to his film making.
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 08:01 PM   #106
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I like jackie though not my favorite. I do like his out takes at the end of his films.

'Dern Helm"

Old 09-26-2002, 11:07 PM   #107
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:

one is embarrasment

the other is yawn

if you mean the former mizu ni nagasu

if you meant the latter

it seems 40 years of MA mizu no awa

'Dern Helm"

Old 09-27-2002, 07:52 PM   #108
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

For actors I like the guys in the old shaw brothers films.

The" Venoms Crew"

There is a Kicker with the last name Tarn.

I like the presence of Rong Ji ( THE Iron Monkey)

And Donnie Yuan The Other guy from Iron monkey.

I've seen the above mention stars in many films and I greatly admire their skill and or presence.

'Dern Helm"

Old 09-27-2002, 08:59 PM   #109
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:

one is embarrasment

the other is yawn

I used an old ezboard coding. Indifference.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:44 PM   #110
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Daijoobu.

I just wanted to point where you erred in the EARILER posts and to see what your response was. You have thus informed me that you are ambivalent toward the clarifaction of the error.

Mizu no awa.
Sukizuki desu kara.

'Dern Helm"

Old 09-30-2002, 01:45 AM   #111
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

hey boys abd girls what's your favorite traditional MA weapon excluding the human body?

I'd say Chinese straight sword and the Kwan Do.

'Dern Helm"

Old 10-04-2002, 10:02 PM   #112
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Traditional MA weapon??

Hmmm... don't know if you'd consider this, but the bow.

Hey, I just tested for my brown belt with a black stripe tonight... if anyone cares... I passed.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:13 AM   #113
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Re: Traditional MA weapon??

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rûdhaglarien
[B]Hmmm... don't know if you'd consider this, but the bow.

Don't feed him. It's what YOU think is a weapon.

Kyudo, the art of the bow, is considered a discipline. It has weapon classification in war.
A current master has this to say.....'Kyudo - the Way of the Bow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Centuries ago in Japan, archery was regarded as the highest discipline of the Samurai warrior. Then, as the bow lost its significance as a weapon of war, and under the influence of Buddhism, Shinto, Daoism and Confucianism, Japanese archery evolved into Kyudo, the "Way of the Bow", a powerful and highly refined contemplative practice.
Kyudo, as taught by Kanjuro Shibata XX, is not a competitive sport and marksmanship is regarded as relatively unimportant. According to Shibata Sensei, a master of the Heki Ryu Bishu Chikurin-ha school of Kyudo, the ultimate goal of Kyudo is to polish the mind - the same as in sitting meditation.

Hope this helps. Oh, remember You were correct.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:51 PM   #114
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Don't feed him.
LOL

Just couldn't resist could ya.

I show you where you absolutely wrong on my statements about Ninjas where you claimed I was dismissive to the art as a whole. To which you were non-chalant about your mistake.

At least twice I attempted to move pass this misunderstanding and engage you in "friendly" discussion as to how your trainning in MA has changed as you have gotten older to which you ignored.

I asked a QUALIFIED question to which Rûdhaglarien gave a correct response. I asked "hey boys abd girls what's your favorite traditional MA weapon excluding the human body?"

Your statement is non-sequitor given his response. Since my QUALIFIED statement would include a) non body b) traditional

My GENUINE question to you is why wouldn't the bow count? Or better why do you think I would not include the bow given my specified terms?

If he had said the fist or a sabot canon THEN your response would have followed.

Your statement reflects unwarranted hostility. You seem to be hanging on to some misperceived slight that I have tried to clear up. You are goading someone who is not your enemy, is not against you, and though you seem to fail to see is interested your responses.

It seems like we had a sparring match that you misconstrued as a full contact engagement. After the match you have these hard feelings and after I showed you where you were wrong instead of smoothing things out when the hand is given in peace you are aloof and STILL antagonistic.

Do have a high competitive urge? Are you just agressive by nature? Do you admit you own culpibility? What gives?

Why are you hanging on so hard? You thought I meant one thing and I showed you were you had erred. I tried to make amends but you wanna press on the attack when the battle was over long ago?

Would you strike someone who bested you ( showed you were you were mistaken) , who then sheathed their blade and offered their hand?

You are striking at phantoms and shadows. There is no conflict between you and I (from my stand point at least)

I might disagree and debate with you but that is not the same as being a foe.

There is a difference between indoctrination and education.

So I ask are you going to strike me down or take my hand?

Rûdhaglarien congrats on the promotion. What style do you practice?

Despite was spock said or implied, of course the bow applies given the question that I asked. Here ( I am in Japan now), the kids at my school start kyudo in Junior high and I think the teams practice up until the grad school here on campus.

On the subways you will see pre-teens to the elderly with their bows going to and from practice.
It really its a beautiful weapon.

Quote:
Oh, remember You were correct.
Well,of course you were. You read and answered the question as it was asked.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 10-05-2002 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:55 PM   #115
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

The reply was merely due to the fact he felt subserviant to your definitions of the question, hesitatingly phrasing , "would you consider" . A weapon is what ever you yourself consider a weapon allowing that one could use it. So the reply was on target.
Loved the LOL comment. Show's there is a human under that godlike persona.
I tend to be blunt as it saves time. As for whether the bow is a weapon, yes of course. My intention was to enlighten further about the bow and it's place in Japanese history.
Personally I prefer the Manriki-Gusari as it has alternatives in modern day. The Shuko doesn't; pity.
As for the remaining remark it's mere flummery.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:09 PM   #116
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
The reply was merely due to the fact he felt subserviant to your definitions of the question, hesitatingly phrasing , "would you consider" . A weapon is what ever you yourself consider a weapon allowing that one could use it. So the reply was on target.
But that was beyond the scope of the question. BUT, I do understand your defination of weapon.

As for the Manriki-Gusari, I am always afriad I would knock myself silly with any type of "chain" weapon. I like to WATCH experts demonstate with them but I think I will it leave those who are my betters.

AGAIN PLEASE MR SPOCK

How has your training style changed as you have gotten older?

From your comments I would place you around the mid-50's mark.

As for the flummery yeah it was a TAD melodramatic. I was overzealous to show where you erred earlier.

So what do you say? Mizu ni nagasu?

'Dern Helm"

Old 10-06-2002, 08:22 PM   #117
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:

So what do you say? Mizu ni nagasu?
pls folks that sounds like a very good idea This has been a very interesting thread untill recently and to be honest a much of the content of recent posts would have been much better suited to the pm

I never studied MA weapons (in practice) having been a student of Judo but if I had to choose it would be the Katana........a very noble weapon with IMO more discipline in its form and use than any other.........truly the weapon which commanded and deserved more respect than any other. I am lucky enough to have a training school in its practice near to my home and to watch the students practice is an absolute pleasure
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:55 AM   #118
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Ozzie --Sometimes hachi no su o tsutsuita yoo is good.

A.E. ishi no ue ni mo sannen

I am more settled, balanced and closer to mu-shin when in a stituation or with a partner. Also I have discovered that mind stays young, body gets old and ground, very hard. As a result I flow better so as not to fall, even properly, although two recent ones at home proved the training kicks in and saves your a..

The simpler the technique the better it can be worked with practice. It's not necessary to pummel when a Moci Maware will do the trick.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:48 PM   #119
kiwi
Elven Warrior

I go to judo. It's supposed to be the Gentle way but I don't think it is because I ended up hurting my arm!
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 01:04 PM   #120
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I go to Tae-kvon-do