Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2003, 01:28 AM   #81
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
Oscar update: for those of you without access to a TV, or just plain don't want to sit through the whole show.

of the six that TTT was nominated for, they have won Visual Effects, and lost (to chicago) best Art Direction
That's why I will always contend that the Oscar's are a joke, how they can give Chicago best Art Direction (which includes set design) over TTT is totally beyond me. Hell, building Edoras took 8 months! That one set alone should have won the award for TTT. Every year the Oscar's is such a farce in my humble opinion...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 03-24-2003 at 01:29 AM.
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:43 AM   #82
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Grrr... I knew TTT wasn't going to get best picture, but still... Oh well, Titanic did win a few years ago... Oh, and go Nicole!
Old 03-24-2003, 01:56 AM   #83
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
That's why I will always contend that the Oscar's are a joke, how they can give Chicago best Art Direction (which includes set design) over TTT is totally beyond me. Hell, building Edoras took 8 months! That one set alone should have won the award for TTT. Every year the Oscar's is such a farce in my humble opinion...
I know what you mean! They should have won more (and been nominated for more in the first place too! ).

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 02:07 AM   #84
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Actually, I found this year's Oscars to be one of the most satisfying in years. Chicago and The Pianist were amazing films and deserved all the accolades they collected. (I just wish the masterpiece that was Minority Report didn't get so completely shafted, but I can only ask for so much.) You'll notice that a lot of Fellowship's wins translated into lack of nominations for The Two Towers, since it is technically one movie.

I just hope ROTK sweeps next year. From the very beginning, I thought the awards should have been held off until it did, so The Lord of the Rings could be recognized as a single project - which it is. And as a single project, it's shaping up to be what I would call one of the greatest cinematic achievements of all time.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:42 PM   #85
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Damn Acadademy, is all I can say. (what did I expect, truly nothing) But I hope they will realize that RotK has to win the next year (except PJ fails totally)
Old 03-24-2003, 02:57 PM   #86
azalea
Long lost mooter

So the final tally is that it got 2 of the six? Visual effects and sound editing(?)? It's disappointing to me, in a sense, because the films I enjoyed this year (I see very few, but Spider Man, TTT, and Minority Report were real standouts to me) got overshadowed by realistic ones that I'm sure were good (I love Chicago as a musical, but haven't seen the film). But it's frustrating for fans of fantasy that the awards always seem to go to realistic dramas. I guess it just shows what kind of people are doing the voting. I don't really care at this point about the Academy awards, but it would be nice to see RotK win big. We'll just have to hope that no standout realistic dramas or big screen adaptations of popular musicals are made this year! I think they need to make extra categories for genre, like the Grammy's have (action, scifi/fantasy, kids movie), so that different kinds of movies can get some recognition.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 03:00 PM   #87
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

You really liked Spider-man? I went to the cinema with high expectations and came out disappointed.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:23 PM   #88
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
You really liked Spider-man? I went to the cinema with high expectations and came out disappointed.
Heh. I went in with LOW expectations and came out disappointed.

I'm glad Chicago won - it was very well done. Still waiting for the Pianist to come to NZ...
Old 03-24-2003, 05:00 PM   #89
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
I'm glad Chicago won - it was very well done. Still waiting for the Pianist to come to NZ...
I think I should watch the Pianist as well, I really like the work of Roman Polanski. Do you live in NZ, really?
All people who have seen Chicago, havet told me that Moulin Rouge is way better. And now I have to ignore Chigaco of protest, because Moulin Rouge didn't win last year
Old 03-24-2003, 10:14 PM   #90
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

All I can say is ROTK better kick *** and sweep the awards next year.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:19 PM   #91
Legolas_GreenLeaf
Elven Warrior

Quote:
All I can say is ROTK better kick *** and sweep the awards next year.
LOTR TTT should have been nominated for a lot more ! But Two Towers suffered from "middle-child syndrome", as many call it.

Most academy members are saving their vote when the trilogy is complete. So hopefully, The Return of the King will win best pic. next year. I'm sure LOTR will get their deserved recognition.

All fans of Elijah, Orlando, Sean, Billy, and Dom (no Viggo )should go here -----> http://www.bagendinn.com/castpics.htm
Legolas_GreenLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:27 AM   #92
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Do you live in NZ, really?
Really, really.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:13 AM   #93
Ithilwin
Elven Warrior

2 Oscars out of 6 Oscar nominees...?At least it was sound editing and visual effects(what I counted it would win) I wish RotK sweeps the Oscars next year!!

Last edited by Ithilwin : 03-25-2003 at 10:15 AM.
Ithilwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:46 PM   #94
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gandalf Rip Off

The hollywood clique just doesn't want to give Jackson his due credit. When they can give Gere an award and his musical abilities are non exixtant, and Moore an award for a blatantly false, lying, misleading film that didn't even meet the rules for documentaries set up by the Academy itself; Then once again they've proven their worthlessness, shallowness and ignorance of greatness.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:55 PM   #95
Legolas_GreenLeaf
Elven Warrior

I agree with you 100 % Spock.

All fans of Elijah, Orlando, Sean, Billy, and Dom (no Viggo )should go here -----> http://www.bagendinn.com/castpics.htm
Old 03-25-2003, 04:18 PM   #96
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

ROTK WILL win next year!!!!!!!!!!
Like people have said all three will have been realesed and the trilogy completed.
I think that ROTK will be the best of the three, the other two are brilliant too!

COME ON LOTR!!!!!!!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 04:36 PM   #97
Legolas_GreenLeaf
Elven Warrior

I'm almost positive that ROTK will even win best pic next year. If chicago wasn't involved this year, lord of the rings would of had a better chance too.

I just hope ROTK receives A LOT of nominations...and atleast win most of them.

We can only wait and see!!! 1 more year!

Old 03-25-2003, 08:45 PM   #98
Elithraniel
Sapling

Location: I live in WA. (It's too rainy here, but that's more time to read the books!)
I wish i coulve seen Orlando Bloom there... My friend told me she saw him... even Liv Tyler was there! They were only focusing on Sean Astin!! grrr.........
Elithraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:49 PM   #99
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Welcome to the Entmoot!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:25 PM   #100
Legolas_GreenLeaf
Elven Warrior

Hey Elithraniel!

I know, they only focused on Sean Astin!...but Orlando Bloom did not attend, from what I heard, he is filming a movie somewhere.