FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-23-2002, 12:00 AM   #61
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally posted by Faramir
Do as I say, not as I do. [/B]
So you want to limit everyone's right to free speech but your own?

Bah...cranky.

Well, yeah, being a student of martial arts is demanding, and a lot is expected of you. It's an ART. Sport coaches expect things from their team, music teachers expect things from their ensemble.

Personally I've never felt it any more demanding than my music curriculum, and it's actually less demanding than track.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:33 AM   #62
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
It's an ART
Starr how do you define art?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 01:22 AM   #63
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

The Japanese government has examined the scrolls in possession of Dr. Matsaaki Hatsumi of the Togakure Ryu and found those to be authentic and dating back 900 years. In Japan ALL martial arts (to be taught) must be sanctioned and licensed by the government. Togakure Ryu is the ONLY style of Ninjitsu so authorized.

Just because it is a licensed art by the Japanese Government does make it `real`

Japan is not known for integrity when it comes to history especially its own,

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 09-08-2002, 05:54 AM   #64
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I've been thinking about a while to take up some self defense and I could sure use the exercise. So I had a look around and there is a karateschool not far from my home, lessons: one hour a week. Now I wouldn't know a martial art if it chased me up a tree, so I have a question for you experts: Would taking up karate be a good idea? And would it be the sort of things you went to with your sister of best friend?
Old 09-08-2002, 06:01 AM   #65
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It depends on what you want to do. I did karate for a few weeks, and I found it very boring as the sparring was non-contact. But I suppose it depends on which club you belong to, as they all seem to have different rules.... I'm of course, completely biased towards taekwondo....
Old 09-08-2002, 09:32 AM   #66
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I did karate and tae-kwon do when I was a student, too many years ago , and I didn't enjoy the sparring part. I didn't like the aspect of competition. My purpose for training martial arts was to gain more body control, strength, balance and endurance, to improve in my ballet classes and jazz classes. It worked, because karate and tae-kwon do is really good excercise.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:27 PM   #67
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Anybody here do Wing Chun?
There being virtually no Wushu where I'm living for the next couple of years (I moved for school.), I'm having to completely switch styles. I thought it might be good for me to learn something a bit more down-to-earth anyways, but I was thinking of doing that a few years down the road. Circumstances have just forced me to move my plans around a little. I went to one class to see if I liked it. If anybody does Wing Chun, what do you like about it and what are your experiences?
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 03:22 AM   #68
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Mirrille where did you move to for grad school? Are you staying with Bio?

'Dern Helm"

Old 09-09-2002, 03:24 AM   #69
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Earniel what are you looking for in MA. self defense, exercise, social life ?

'Dern Helm"

Old 09-09-2002, 05:16 AM   #70
Earniel

Both self defense and exercise. Social contact is less important.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:16 AM   #71
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Just because it is a licensed art by the Japanese Government does make it `real`
Japan is not known for integrity when it comes to history especially its own, [/B][/QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh sanctimonious one, you know all and believe what you will. There are others who search and find truth and are steadfast in their comprehension of it even when treated as you have.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:05 PM   #72
Gilrond
Enting

If you want self-defense that works and doesn't harm you or your attacker, try Aikido.
Gilrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 04:20 PM   #73
Earniel

Gilrond, are you saying that karate is more harmful than Aikido?
Old 09-10-2002, 05:28 PM   #74
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Aikido is interesting. Not sure if it works if you're being stalked in a dark alley way though. It's the one where you rely on the natural flow of things, rather than force right?
Old 09-10-2002, 05:51 PM   #75
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Gilrond, are you saying that karate is more harmful than Aikido?
No martial art is more harmful than another......they all teach defensive tactics when you are confronted......any harm that is in inflicted is purely the decision of the martial artist him/herself.

Saying that, a good kick in the nadgers towards the violent is also a good option........crippling as well as helping remove the violent from the gene-pool
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 05:56 PM   #76
BeardofPants
the Shrike

IF they're not expecting it. Best to use your keys/fingers, and swiftly jab them in the weak part of the throat/neck region. Do some real damage.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:03 PM   #77
Gilrond
Enting

osszie, you are right in saying that the defender makes the decision to harm the attacker. You could know judo and know bone-snapping techniques, but you could still choose to just pin your attacker and leave it at that.

BeardofPants: Correct. In fact, it would actually be the one to most likely work on the street, because an attacker would let loose everything they got; all you have to do is get off the line and throw them. They'll re-evaluate their principles after that.

Non-violence works better than violence.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:16 PM   #78
Gilrond
Enting

BeardofPants: Then how come at tournaments aikidoists nearly always get the better of all martial artists from different disciplines.? Violence will not change their mind on attacking someone either; non-violence will.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:16 PM   #79
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilrond
osszie, you are right in saying that the defender makes the decision to harm the attacker. You could know judo and know bone-snapping techniques, but you could still choose to just pin your attacker and leave it at that.

BeardofPants: Correct. In fact, it would actually be the one to most likely work on the street, because an attacker would let loose everything they got; all you have to do is get off the line and throw them. They'll re-evaluate their principles after that.

Non-violence works better than violence.
BoP is definatley correct......sometimes you have to stop a violent person as quickly as possible.......especially if they are attacking you for no specific reason (I grew up in a society where you had to fight.........it's not pleasant).......Gilrond sometimes you have to do a lot more than just "throw them" some people..........especially those on amphetimines or worse, do not stop (my advice......leg it).

Non violence most certainly works better that violence.......except when the violence is directed towards you....then you have to make the confrontation as least violent as possible.
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 06:20 PM   #80
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilrond
BeardofPants: Then how come at tournaments aikidoists nearly always get the better of all martial artists from different disciplines.? Violence will not change their mind on attacking someone either; non-violence will.
Because in a tournament, they're not trying to kill each other. Gilrond, I agree that Aikido is useful - when I did Taekwondo, we had a guest instructor who taught us a bit - but, when someone is out of their mind - either on drugs, or drink, or violence, the BEST thing is to disable them as quickly as possible, and then RUN. Sometimes, you don't have time to position yourself, to throw that person. I'm lucky; I've never been directly attacked, but I have been in "situations", and I got out of them, by legging it; which is really my best advice. Avoid confrontation if at all possible - if not, hurt the bastards.