Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2003, 12:17 PM   #61
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

AND THE ENVELOPE PLEASE.....

Well the nominations are out today. Twin Towers gets SIX nominations from the quick glance I took:

Best Picture: "Chicago," "Gangs of New York," "The Hours," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "The Pianist."

Art Direction: "Chicago," "Frida," "Gangs of New York," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Road to Perdition."

Sound: "Chicago," "Gangs of New York," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Road to Perdition," "Spider-Man."

Sound Editing: "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Minority Report," "Road to Perdition."

Film Editing: "Chicago," "Gangs of New York," "The Hours," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "The Pianist."

Visual Effects: "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," "Spider-Man," "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones."

Guess Jackson didnt make the Best Director cut.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:14 PM   #62
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

you beat me to it, Rex.
Any predictions or disappointments?

I'm guessing TT will come away with one (at most two) oscars, probably in an obscure category like sound editing.

I'm disappointed that Bernard Hill didn't get even a nomination for best supporting actor. I wasn't big on the whole possession scene, but I loved his "death and glory" lines.

How about this: 'so much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?'

oh well, so that's my two cents.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:40 PM   #63
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well you figure they have the best chance on visual effects. And perhaps a good shot at art direction. dont know about the others though.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:41 PM   #64
azalea
Long lost mooter

For me it pretty much seals the fact that it is all political. Last year PJ "made the rounds" and got nominated, this year he stayed out of it and didn't. The way I see it they had to give it at least a best picture nomination.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #65
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I'm pleased. TTT will not be a big winner but the fact that it was nominated for Best Picture is encouraging. Having FOTR and TTT as Best Picture nominees improves ROTK's chances of actually receiving the Oscar. I think the members of the Academy will use ROTK as a way to acknowledge the quality of the entire trilogy.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:25 PM   #66
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

Gandalf

it better win some oscars!!!!

Quote:
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that are strong do not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring!
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be King!

Òevil will always triumph, because good is dumb.Ó

-darth helmet

donÕt count on me to let you know when.donÕt count on me, ill do it again. dont count on me, the point youre missing, donÕt count on me, cause im not listening.

Òyou insult me with your presenceÓ
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:52 PM   #67
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

The academy is a joke in my opinion. They don't like good quality movies, and they never nominate movies that bring in a lot of money and are crowd favorites, for example SpiderMan and Star Wars. I am not saying those two were great, however SpiderMan broke a ton of box office records and yet gets nothing.

The Academy really only nominates artsy movies, case in point Chicago. Give me an f'ing break with that one. I mean seriously, who is on this damn panel of voters? I don't know one person that has seen this movie, in fact I don't know one person that even wants to see this movie.

BAH! I could go on and on about the crap that is consistently nominated and given awards to, the Oscar's are nothing but a farce!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:51 PM   #68
Diamond
Hobbit

Quote:
The academy is a joke in my opinion. They don't like good quality movies, and they never nominate movies that bring in a lot of money and are crowd favorites, for example SpiderMan and Star Wars.
Agreed. Um, Marisa Tomei for "My Cousin Vinny" anyone?

However, I saw Chicago and loved it. I only saw it once, though, compared to my six times seeing TTT. I love musicals anyway, but I was surprised it came away with 13 nominations.

Next year better be a big year for ROTK and the cast, crew, etc. I'm still looking at the nominees and thinking of how I think I'm sticking with the Empire awards this year.

Di
::Hoping Daniel Day-Lewis wins. Anyone but Jack Nicholson.::
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:39 PM   #69
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I can't see TTT winning best picture...either Chicago or Gangs of New York will win that. The best we can hope for is three of four of the others. I think it has a good chance of getting the nod for visual effects; the effects in Star Wars overtook the story at points and the effects in Spiderman were a bit dodgy at times. The effects in TTT blended in perfectly.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:15 AM   #70
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

I saw Chicago - I guess it wasn't bad, I just didn't like it that much. Some nice songs though.
Yes, this is a musician talking.
Maybe they didn't give PJ the nomination for Best Director because so many fans thought he stuffed up some things. *coughHALDIRandFARAMIRcough* Nevermind.
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:07 PM   #71
dawningoftime
Enting

I think that this also proves that the oscar favorites aren't always the most popular movies.
dawningoftime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:37 AM   #72
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Meh. All I can say is, if RotK doesn't get some decent awards (like Best Picture, or PJ for Best Director) next year, I'm going to mutilate something. Even if it is only a teddy bear.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #73
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

I think Return of the Kind will win next year. That way it will be like giving an award to Lord of the Rings, and the whole effort, instead of just one movie.

Rosie
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 07:12 PM   #74
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
While it would be great if ROTK did a sweep, or at least best picture/ best director, who really cares about the award, or how well the movie does at the box office? You don't need that to tell you that the movie was good, great, excellent, your favorite. All that matters is what you as an individual think of it.

But it would be really, really cool.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:23 PM   #75
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
While it would be great if ROTK did a sweep, or at least best picture/ best director, who really cares about the award, or how well the movie does at the box office? You don't need that to tell you that the movie was good, great, excellent, your favorite. All that matters is what you as an individual think of it.

But it would be really, really cool.

I agree, but it would be very nice if they swept, like Chicago will do this year.

Rosie
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:03 PM   #76
crickhollow

It's Oscar night, so I just thought I'd bump this up to the top again.

Entmoot Oscar's party, 2003!
Old 03-23-2003, 10:24 PM   #77
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Oscar party? Whoo! *breaks out the chips and drinks* Who's first for Legolas!chocolate? (That is the chocolate they sold with Legolas pictures on the front as a promo - I got one!)
Lanelf.

Old 03-23-2003, 10:30 PM   #78
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

You're joking me...what's next, McLembas?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:33 PM   #79
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Quote:
You're joking me...what's next, McLembas?
*terrified* eep...
Lanelf.

Old 03-23-2003, 10:41 PM   #80
crickhollow

Oscar update: for those of you without access to a TV, or just plain don't want to sit through the whole show.

of the six that TTT was nominated for, they have won Visual Effects, and lost (to chicago) best Art Direction