Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-02-2002, 06:52 AM   #61
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I can't believe we are discussing are bra experiences! All I remember was how uncomfortable it was and cursing my Mum for making me wear one!
Ggrrrrr. Mothers. Mine certainly put me through hell. First she made me get measured up for my first bra IN FRONT OF MY BROTHER, and then when I got my first "monthly" she brought it up around the dinner table like it was something to be frellin' proud off!!! Whoops, a bit OT aren't we. Anyway, that's why I don't want plastic surgery... er... I mean... uhh... well, maybe just a lift.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:07 AM   #62
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

No one likes bras? Jeez, I love 'em. They're comfortable for me and hold you-know-what in place, especially when you're running. And I like sleeping on my stomach the most - I fall to sleep faster that way . . . *snores*
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 09:14 AM   #63
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I never said i didnt like them. I said i didnt like things contained in them. Bras are useful like you said specially for swimming.

sleeping on your stomach? always gives me stomach ache that. I tend either on my back or slightly leaning towards one side. You knw since most of the moderators i think they're going to keep this thread going somehow

It always puzzles me how blokes found it difficult to undo them. You alwyas see them in nerdy movies struggling. weird.

anyway...i wonder if they use real plastic in the surgery? (keeping on subject work with me.)

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 09:19 AM   #64
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I believe it's a "special" kind.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:21 AM   #65
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Plastic surgery? The worst form of superficiality available for the highest bidders.
if you haave something that is abnormal what's wrong with it?

Quote:
Did you know that guys can have breast reduction done as well? Some guys really do have'man boobs', so to speak, because they actually have breast tissue.
its called gynecomastia

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 11:42 AM   #66
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

remind me why we are talking about bras???

i allways hated my bra, and i allways will!

say bras ten times fast and you will notis what a funny word it is!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 01:38 PM   #67
azalea
Long lost mooter

LOL, before I saw AE's post I was going to say "Notice how all the males disappeared from this thread?"

Oh yes I love to go braless! I wish it were okay to do in public. That's why smaller breasts would be an advantage, it wouldn't be as, um, noticable.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 01:56 PM   #68
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Hehehe, ah, the joy of being me.
My mom is actually pretty cool about stuff like that, never told anyone or anything.

Don't they use silicone for plastic surgery? Is that a type of plastic? I know it's an element (well, silicon is...)
Old 08-02-2002, 02:57 PM   #69
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
The word "plastic" comes from the Greek word plastikos, meaning "to mold or shape." Many of the first plastic surgeries were developed to close a difficult wound or replace tissue lost due to injury or cancer. These procedures often involved the formation of a skin flap to reshape or mold the defect so as to approximate the original shape.

Plastic Surgery Information Service
Concerning my feelings on Plastic Surgery - if someone wants to get it done - it's no business of mine. I can care less. I do think that some people go too far though and that is where the "stretched" look comes in. Most people that have plastic surgery you wouldn't even notice anything if you had never seen them before.

For all the people that say that people should only care about what a person is like on the inside - I wonder how many of you wouldn't go out with someone because they were too short, too tall, too fat, too thin, they have body hair, they didn't have enough hair, etc etc. When people can honestly say they would date anyone and that looks would have no bearing - then I might believe that looks don't matter. But they do - for everyone.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-02-2002 at 03:05 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 06:46 PM   #70
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

If they have certain abnormalties they want to change/get rid of, that's cool. But most people do it just to look better.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:11 PM   #71
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I find it sad when someone spends thousands of pounds to make themselves look better or younger, when that money can be used to aid people in third world countries.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 07:34 PM   #72
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
I find it sad when someone spends thousands of pounds to make themselves look better or younger, when that money can be used to aid people in third world countries.
It's no different than buying a really nice car that you want - or a new stereo system or going to the movies or any other item we really don't need to survive. How many people go and get their hair colored or permed or buy facial creams or any number of skin care products? Is this really any more necessary or a more "acceptable" way to spend money? Most people seem to have no problems buying perfume or cologne. How many teenagers and people in general buy products to eliminate or hide pimples? I personally just don't see why I should judge someone for getting plastic surgery if they want it.

The problem in third world countries goes far beyond lack of money. The problem in third world countries deals more with their governments (or lack thereof - such as Somalia) than with actually having money. There is that saying - "you can give a person a fish and he'll eat for a day or you can teach the person to fish and he'll eat for a life time". I know that's not the exact saying. Giving money is only solving the affects of the problems - but not solving the actual problem. The third world countries will have to solve a lot of their internal problems before any amount of money will have an impact on their life in the long run.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-03-2002 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:53 AM   #73
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Go JD

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 01:47 PM   #74
azalea
Long lost mooter

I agree w/ CBG. People can be so selfish and self centered and greedy. They spend their money on meaningless things (and I mean millionaires spending oodles on the stuff, not the ave. citizen) that could be used to buy a house for an impoverished family or something. Of course people can use their money to do what they want, but it's just SAD to me.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:10 PM   #75
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I agree w/ CBG. People can be so selfish and self centered and greedy. They spend their money on meaningless things (and I mean millionaires spending oodles on the stuff, not the ave. citizen) that could be used to buy a house for an impoverished family or something. Of course people can use their money to do what they want, but it's just SAD to me.
Most of them earned their money. So whose business is it of anyone else's how they spend it. I guess if I become a millionaire - I'm supposed to feel guity for wanting a Lear Jet or a Lambourghini? And Believe me - the "average" citizen wastes just as much money as a percentage. I'm not going to judge anyone for what they have or how they spend their OWN money. They can stuff their mattresses with it for all I care.

And if they want the face jobs and tummy tucks and all other plastic surgery - it's fine.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-03-2002, 03:09 PM   #76
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

JD is right. People can do what they want with their money. But it's my personal opinion that it's ridiculous to spend all this money to completely reconstruct your face/body. To a certain point it's fine, but not to go overboard. ANd I wouldn't do it just to make myself look younger. Just gracefully age! It's just another stage of life.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 03:28 PM   #77
jerseydevil

Yeah - i think that a person cvan go overboard with it (like Michael Jackson). I think after a while people look ridiculous and what is funny is that they think they look better. But it's still their choice. Michael Jackson's face looks like he was in a fire and almost lost his nose ( I know he was burned in the making of the pepsi commercial - but it didn't do that much damage). He is the most extreme case of a person having plastic surgery.

My aunt was bitten by a dog when she was little - the scar really bothered her - even though I never noticed it until she said she was going to get it fixed. My mopther thought it was ridiculous since it was only a small scar - but my feeling was that if it made my aunt feel better - then who cared. She was much happier about her face after having it done.

I hate pictures of my profile because my chin slopes downward. I'm not fat or anything - it's just the way it is. But I would get that fixed because it does bother me so much. I hate seeing pictures of myself if they're of a side view of my face.

The Discovery Health or one of those channels had about teenagers getting plastic surgery. One boy had ears that stuck out and made him feel really self conscious. People called him elephant boy or stared at him. He was in 7th or 8th grade when he convinced his parents to let him get his ears fixed before he went to high school. He got it done - and he felt much better about himself.

One girl on the show had her lower jaw in more than her top jaw (she basically had no chin). She never smiled and when she talked she'd cover up her face with her hand. She also felt much better about herself afterward.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-03-2002 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2002, 05:11 PM   #78
azalea
Long lost mooter

In the case of abnormalities like that, I think plastic surgery is wonderful. I saw a show about people who cannot close their lips together all the way because of the way their teeth fit into their jaws or something. They were able to get surgery to correct it and are now much more comfortable and feel like they look better.
Old 08-03-2002, 05:52 PM   #79
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
In the case of abnormalities like that, I think plastic surgery is wonderful. I saw a show about people who cannot close their lips together all the way because of the way their teeth fit into their jaws or something. They were able to get surgery to correct it and are now much more comfortable and feel like they look better.
They weren't life threatening abnormalities though. They just didn't like the way they looked. So I can't see how people are picking and choosing what is acceptable plastic surgery and what isn't. To me how anyone chooses to spend their money (as long it's not purposely hurting someone else) is none of my business. If people can afford to get a boob job and that's what they want - that's great then. Who am I to tell someone that they shouldn't spend their money on it?

Also people said that what is on the inside is what counts. Having big ears that stick out seems like something that people were saying was a "vanity" thing to get fixed. Same with my aunt and her scar or me not liking my chin.

I guess I'm trying to figure out why people have such an easy time to pass judgement on others and feel that what they do or feel is what everyone else should do or feel.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-03-2002, 06:06 PM   #80
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I don't see anything wrong with plastic sugery. Yes, there are people who go too far, I suppose. But most people get one thing done because it makes them feel better about themselves, and how can you put a pricetag on that? Perhaps a girl who is gorgeous but has no chin gets a little chin implant, what harm does that cause? People who are very overweight, who do the work and lose the weight often get a tummy tuck. Sure, they did most of the work themselves, but who wants all that extra skin flapping around afterwards? My own mother, who after 3 kids looked like one of those pics in the National Geographic of the natives with their boobies to there bellybuttons, got reductive surgery. Not only did she feel better about the way she looked, but her doc said she immediately could breath easier. People spend their money on innumeral things they could do without, like these pricey computers we are all typing on. I don't think that to be good people we have to all become posession-less monks in sack-cloth to give all to the poor. Yes, we should all donate to our favorite charity, but who is to judge that a bit of plastic surgery is any more frivolous than a computer, or the latest Game Cube, or that new movie you just have to have on DVD. It's all relative. If there was some surgery out there that I could afford and would make me have more confidence in myself, I'd be first in line. (After careful consideration, of course, because ANY surgery is serious business)

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote