Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-04-2002, 01:15 AM   #41
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Do you mean that you want this thread closed?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 01:36 AM   #42
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Nope for others may wish to post in the future

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 01:43 AM   #43
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Sorry. I must have read Spock's post wrong. Anyway, if someone else posts, please be on topic. This seems to have wandered a bit...

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 11:33 AM   #44
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

No you didn't read me wrong. This thread has played itself out. A.E. face it, no posts in four days. You and I carried it heavily even with our differences.
I'm trying to help you "moderate" dead web space and free up room.
Hope I'm not stepping on your toes.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:45 AM   #45
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

yes but there are some threads that stay dead for months and when a newbie posts the same topic they get slammed for not reviewing older post.

if you check MOST of the threads here are not closed. They just play themselves out hoping to revived

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-08-2002, 08:02 PM   #46
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I agree that's why I suggested closing, locking or deleting the thread. When I moderated a board we would close the thread, i.e. lock it, and then leave it for about two weeks before deleting the thread entirely. This kept space free of old closed and not visited threads.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:34 PM   #47
Faramir
Elven Warrior

I don't see the point of MA. Why learn all that fancy crud when a well aimed punch between the eyes or a gun is just as good. I've taken it, and listen, you do not want to take it. Understand? DO NOT.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 02:24 AM   #48
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Faramir
I don't see the point of MA. Why learn all that fancy crud when a well aimed punch between the eyes or a gun is just as good. I've taken it, and listen, you do not want to take it. Understand? DO NOT.

It depends what art you take. If you are taking something "fancy", I agree that it really won't help you that much in a straight self defense situation.

However, if your learn some straight Whoop A$$ fighting style it may come in handy.

who ALWAYS carries a gun with them?

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-09-2002, 08:09 AM   #49
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

who ALWAYS carries a gun with them? [/B][/QUOTE]

Me, almost always.

I decided, somewhere after my second decade of training, that I'd prefer not to get dirty when I go out. This goes double if I'm in the company of a lady.

Last edited by Spock : 08-09-2002 at 08:11 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 01:22 PM   #50
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
For someone who complains about others voicing rigid opinions, you certainly have no qualms about expressing your own equally rigid ones...
And a 'well aimed punch between the eyes' is not just as good, nor is a gun. I'm not a supporter of gun control, but I don't think of using a gun as self defense except in the most extreme cases. I actually feel safer with a knife under a pillow than a gun under the bed (not that I own a gun, but my father AND stepfather both do)...also, one of the main 'creeds' of martial arts is only to defend. If we don't have to permantently damage our attacker to get out of a situation, we don't.
Maybe you went to one of the schools that was just fancy footwork and not much out, but there are a few very good schools out there that are actually useful.

Anyway...

I'm getting really irritated with my weapons class. I think it's just because I'm no good at it but arg! My instructor is going way too fast, and I can't keep up. Weapons aren't my strong point, I prefer hand techniques. I guess I just need to practice. Stupid bokkan/tengu.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:29 PM   #51
Rand
Hobbit

Location: I port around from day to day. Who knows where I will be now?
Quote:
I don't see the point of MA. Why learn all that fancy crud when a well aimed punch between the eyes
Punch = MA. Sorry. It does.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, and Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neather beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning...
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 01:30 PM   #52
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Because I spend most of my time working/living/traveling overseas a gun not a very doable option.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 08-09-2002 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:30 PM   #53
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Rand

Punch = MA. Sorry. It does.
No, it doesn't. MA is far more than random punching and kicking. There is actually a lot of anatomy involved, and developing natural defense skills. True martial artists are more about protecting themselves from the punches than actually throwing them out.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:18 AM   #54
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Starr there are different schools of thought on this. Example, in Japan you have Do and Ju(i)tsu. One, Do is more of how pop culture thinks of Martial Arts: as a philosophical thing. Ju(i)tsu is more about the "SKILL" of fighting.

Boxing and wrestling are just as must as MA as Tae Kwon Do.

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-10-2002, 01:57 PM   #55
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Hmm...yes, but since Ju(i)tsu, Do, and kick boxing are all MA, you can't just say MA = punching.
If you can't tell, I hate generalizations.
Old 08-10-2002, 02:01 PM   #56
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Personally I slip the ring on and become "invisible".
Old 08-10-2002, 02:03 PM   #57
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I don't think that he meant punching is a tactic of martial arts thus punching equals martial arts. recall it was faramis who said

Quote:
I don't see the point of MA. Why learn all that fancy crud when a well aimed punch between the eyes
i think that all rand was saying that punching is a part of MA

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-10-2002, 02:04 PM   #58
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Oh...sorry. ::bows out::
Old 08-10-2002, 02:11 PM   #59
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
Personally I slip the ring on and become "invisible".
LOL

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-22-2002, 10:31 AM   #60
Faramir
Elven Warrior

I only say this because of an annoying past with Martial Arts. I must've worked at for a long time, and it gets hard after awhile. 3 lessons a week can be hard. They also expect a lot from you. I know I was a little crass in saying it, but I was just stating my dislike of it.

Quote:
For one who is against rigid opinions Faramir, you sure don't find any trouble stating yours.
Do as I say, not as I do.
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!

Last edited by Faramir : 08-22-2002 at 10:33 AM.
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote