Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2004, 03:13 AM   #41
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I think so too Beren - I'm not sure if there was a place for Dwarves in the halls of Mandos. And why not Aulë? Who knows if he had a secret dwelling in some mountain in Valinor for Dwarven spirits.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:35 AM   #42
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Does it say anything about it anywhere because if not I'd guess that they do go to the Halls of Aule.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:41 PM   #43
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Does it say anything about it anywhere because if not I'd guess that they do go to the Halls of Aule.
Again, there is no such thing as the "Halls of Aule." They are considered Children of Iluvatar, but Aule is their maker. Even the Dwarves say that they will go to the halls of Mandos.

From the Silmarillion, Houghton Mifflin edition, 1977.

Quote:
Aforetime it was held among the Elves in Middle-earth that dying the Dwarves returned to the earth and the stone of which they were made; yet that is not their own belief. For they say that Aule the Maker, whom they call Mahal, cares for them, and gathers them to Mandos in halls set apart; and that he declared to their Fathers of old that Iluvatar will hallow them and give them a place among the Children in the End.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:17 PM   #44
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

So they stayed forever in the Halls of Mandos whilst the spirits of elves could return.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:14 PM   #45
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

I can not remember where, possibly Silmarillion in the chapter of Aulë and the dwarves, yet I am pretty sure Tolkien said the dwarves would go somwhere not Valinor(Halls of Mandos) and not... wherever men go. I may be wrong so don't slay me for making this claim, but I really think it says this somewhere.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:21 PM   #46
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
So they stayed forever in the Halls of Mandos whilst the spirits of elves could return.
Here is more of what the Dwarves have to say about their fate.

From The War of the Jewels, Volume 11, the Histories of Middle-earth series.

Quote:
Aule cares for them and gathers them in Mandos in halls set apart for them, and there they wait, not in idleness but in the practice of crafts and the learning of yet deeper lore. And Aule, they say, declared to their Fathers of old that Iluvatar had accepted from him the work of his desire, and that Iluvatar will hallow them and will give them a place among the Children in the End. Then their part shall be to serve Aule and to aid him in the re-making of Arda after the Last Battle.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 10-13-2004, 07:29 PM   #47
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Again, there is no such thing as the "Halls of Aule." They are considered Children of Iluvatar, but Aule is their maker. Even the Dwarves say that they will go to the halls of Mandos.
Technically, Aule did have halls in Valinor. He just didn't gather the Dwarven spirits there.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:14 PM   #48
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Martinez
Technically, Aule did have halls in Valinor. He just didn't gather the Dwarven spirits there.
Really? Where can I read about that?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 10-14-2004, 01:10 AM   #49
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Really? Where can I read about that?
There is a passage somewhere about Mahtan's family living near the halls of Aule. It might be in the fragment of "Shibboleth of Feanor" which was published in Vinyar Tengwar (he was not called Mahtan there, but something like Rusco and another name). It might be in the main text of "The Shibboleth of Feanor" itself, in The Peoples of Middle-earth.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:16 AM   #50
Ælfwine
Hobbit

You can also find a reference to "Aulë's Great Court" in Karen Wynn-Fonstad's Atlas of Middle-earth. I think that it is placed just west of Valmar.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:25 AM   #51
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
It says somewhere about elves envying m en for their gift of death and men envying elves for their gift of immortality.
The grass is always greener on the other side
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:55 AM   #52
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ælfwine
You can also find a reference to "Aulë's Great Court" in Karen Wynn-Fonstad's Atlas of Middle-earth. I think that it is placed just west of Valmar.
She based that on The Book of Lost Tales, and it's not quite the same thing.