FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 06:17 PM   #521
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
[POST DELETED]

Do any of you bother reading the administrative warnings?

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair
Yep... I'm just a bad seed.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:21 PM   #522
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
But what pisses me off more, is that the higher-ups will not even be charged, I'm sure.
The person in charge of the soldiers has been removed and is being investigated - as is the higher ups to see how far this goes.
Quote:

How could Washington not know about any of this?
Maybe because they ARE in WASHINGTON. As soon as the person stepped forward and reported it and Rumsfeld found out - he issued a press release back in January and an investigation was started immediatedly. It was ON THE NEWS back in January - the only reason it didn't blow up nad everyone is so ignorant is because the picutres weren't released.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-18-2004, 06:28 PM   #523
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Please spare me your "if you dare question our government then get the hell out" attitude. thats a sad reaction to my tongue in cheek commentary about the purpose of this occupation and frankly you know nothing of my personal views on my country or what i believe is right or not right. So keep your jingoistic preaching to yourself.
I've had the attiude directed to me several times for questioning our government's actions/motives. Quite frankly, I don't like George Bush and how he is handling things. It seems people on this board have a hard time tollerating difference of opinions. Which is a bit ironic since America was founded religous tolerance and freedom of speech which is stated in the Constitution. The power of America is suppose to be in the people. Myself and anyone else has the right to speak out against the presidential administration and the government. Alot of people seem to forget that ... and for those who think I should get the hell out of this country because I don't agree with you, you need to grow up.
(I'm not refering to anyone in this thread, this is directed to the people in the Selective Service Act thread.)
Old 05-18-2004, 06:44 PM   #524
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
I've had the attiude directed to me several times for questioning our government's actions/motives. Quite frankly, I don't like George Bush and how he is handling things. It seems people on this board have a hard time tollerating difference of opinions. Which is a bit ironic since America was founded religous tolerance and freedom of speech which is stated in the Constitution. The power of America is suppose to be in the people. Myself and anyone else has the right to speak out against the presidential administration and the government. Alot of people seem to forget that ... and for those who think I should get the hell out of this country because I don't agree with you, you need to grow up.
(I'm not refering to anyone in this thread, this is directed to the people in the Selective Service Act thread.)
Okay. Well, I think QAL was just asking IR a question that he took exception to. I think she wanted a real answer, not an outburst. She didn't say that anyone should leave the country because they don't support one thing or another. Here and in the past IR has expressed times of disatisfaction with the US and its policies. I think QAL was just asking, why would you want to stay here if you are so upset with things. That's not the same as saying 'get out if you don't like it.'

People, you need to perhaps read posts a little more carefully.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-18-2004, 06:54 PM   #525
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

If you read my post carefully you would have understood that my post was directed to people in the selective service act thread who said I should leave the country if I don't like it. It would be stupid to leave the country just because I don't agree with something. If I don't like something i'll still deal with it but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to voice my opinion. The American people have the power to change things they dislike through popular vote, hence the word democratic government.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:00 PM   #526
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
If you read my post carefully you would have understood that my post was directed to people in the selective service act thread who said I should leave the country if I don't like it. It would be stupid to leave the country just because I don't agree with something. If I don't like something i'll still deal with it but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to voice my opinion. The American people have the power to change things they dislike through popular vote, hence the word democratic government.
I did read your post carefully, and in your post you quoted IR's response to QAL. so that tells me that your post was spurred by her remark and his reply to her.

Quote:
So you see, I did read your post.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #527
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I did read your post carefully, and in your post you quoted IR's response to QAL. so that tells me that your post was spurred by her remark and his reply to her.
I have to agree here. If you weren't referring to anyone here then why post that?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-18-2004, 07:14 PM   #528
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
My post was spurred by IR's post. It has nothing to do with Qal or her response at all, it never did. I was simply agreeing with IR on the topic of people with the "get the hell out of the country if you don't like it" attitude. However, my post did have a point which you and JD missed. LIke I said before, people are allowed to have a difference of opinion in America and for those who don't agree with it need to learn to deal with it.

Last edited by Ragnarok : 05-18-2004 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:22 PM   #529
jerseydevil

Quote:
LIke I said before, people are allowed to have a difference of opinion in America and for those who don't agree with it need to learn to deal with it.
Yeah - as i have said many times before. I will defend the black panthers on the street corner of 42nd street and Broadway for their right to say that the white man is the cause of all their problem. I will however tell them that they should get a job or maybe go into the schools and try actually making a difference by teaching the students - instead of trying to blame all their problems on someone else.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-18-2004, 07:24 PM   #530
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I've had the attiude directed to me several times for questioning our government's actions/motives.... It seems people on this board have a hard time tollerating difference of opinions....
I agree. Some people just can't handle a difference of opinion... so they tell you to leave the country. How ignorant.

Quote:
... Which is a bit ironic since America was founded religous tolerance and freedom of speech which is stated in the Constitution. The power of America is suppose to be in the people. Myself and anyone else has the right to speak out against the presidential administration and the government. A lot of people seem to forget that ... and for those who think I should get the hell out of this country because I don't agree with you, you need to grow up.
I agree... these people need to grow up, and perhaps get a little education.

You might not be referring to anyone in this thread... but I am.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:27 PM   #531
jerseydevil

Quote:
I agree... these people need to grow up, and perhaps get a little education. [/B]
Some people need to educate themselves about the facts before taking an opinion though. Also - maybe some people shouldn't just run with every rumor possible just because it supports their negative feelings toward Bush and his administration.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-18-2004, 07:29 PM   #532
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Yeah - as i have said many times before. I will defend the black panthers on the street corner of 42nd street and Broadway for their right to say that the white man is the cause of all their problem. I will however tell them that they should get a job or maybe go into the schools and try actually making a difference by teaching the students - instead of trying to blame all their problems on someone else.
I won't leave this country because I don't agree with something, I'd rather try and change it. Just because I don't agree with something George Bush or the government has done doesn't mean I'm pointing fingers or blaming anyone. That would be rather stupid because that isn't what is important.... finding a solution is.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:38 PM   #533
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Everyone get on topic.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-18-2004, 07:39 PM   #534
jerseydevil

Quote:
Everyone get on topic.
Yeah - Everyone back to arguing NOW!!!

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-18-2004, 07:44 PM   #535
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Some people need to educate themselves about the facts before taking an opinion though. Also - maybe some people shouldn't just run with every rumor possible just because it supports their negative feelings toward Bush and his administration.
And some people shouldn't blindly support someone because that person happens to be the party of their choice. Some people should open their eyes, wake up and smell the fall-out from the lies.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:48 PM   #536
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Everyone get on topic.
We are on topic. You close any other thread that happens to be even remotely about Iraq.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:53 PM   #537
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
We are on topic. You close any other thread that happens to be even remotely about Iraq.
Only when posters decide to act like jerks. This thread is off topic. It is not about your rights as an American, but about the abuse of Iraqi prisoners. Now, GET back on topic.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #538
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Only when posters decide to act like jerks. This thread is off topic. It is not about your rights as an American, but about the abuse of Iraqi prisoners. Now, GET back on topic.
Then can I create a thread about the stuff we're talking about?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:14 PM   #539
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Then can I create a thread about the stuff we're talking about?
Yes.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-18-2004, 08:46 PM   #540
Mercutio

I don't quite know if this has been mentioned (since I've only read the last 10 or so pages of posts), if it is, pardon my mentioning it.

Isn't it very possible and/or probable that one of the higher ups in the prison made a comment like, "we need to get more information out of these prisoners"? You've heard of the game "telephone," I assume. Like that game, by the time this message got relayed (whether or not it was supposed to) to the people directly in charge of the prisoners they may have heard "we're supposed to do whatever we need to in order to get more information out of these prisoners." And so it wasn't entirely of their own accord? They may have assumed the acts they were doing were sanctioned?

And yes I am defending them. But only the reason they did what they did, not the actions they took.

You can kick me now if I was a pudden-head.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Closed Thread