Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2003, 09:39 AM   #21
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Not many nominations at all. What a pity.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:27 PM   #22
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Who cares about the academy? The People's Choice Awards are what you need to be worrying about. So what if the academy didn't like you - if you lose there, you know who didn't like you? The people!
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:55 PM   #23
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Yeah I am kinda pissed that there wasn't even a nomination for someone for Best Supporting Actor. However, like I said in the other thread, I've come to realize that the Oscar's are a joke, they nominate and award unworthy movies and actors all the time...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 02:17 PM   #24
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Yeah, sometimes they choose a good movie, but most of the winners and nominations just suck. Sometimes I think if something is commercial they don't want to give the oscar to this movie. Commercial means to them bad quality.
And this year PJ didn't want to make advertisements for the academy so maybe this is another reason for their decision not nomitation TTT.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:38 PM   #25
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Yup it seems the Academy only ever nominates and awards "Artsy" movies...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 05:46 AM   #26
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Stupid academy.
I'll bet they are all old and grey and haven't seen all the movies that came out the last year.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:49 PM   #27
Legolas_GreenLeaf
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Who cares about the academy? The People's Choice Awards are what you need to be worrying about. So what if the academy didn't like you - if you lose there, you know who didn't like you? The people!
I couldn't agree w/ you more!

Also, the biggest thing is probably that Peter Jackson is once again snubbed the Academy Award for Best Director. This year he is not even nominated… Can you believe it? Here is the man who is single-handedly delivering the best movies we have seen in years, converting a vision to the screen that EVERY other filmmaker has been afraid of, and creates not only some of the most stunning cinematic moments, but also some of the most engaging films of recent years, and he gets…. nothing! Not even a nod. The only thing that is left for me to say to that is that the Academy is clearly missing the point here. Every year there are a few strange nominations in the list...Sad, isn't it?

All fans of Elijah, Orlando, Sean, Billy, and Dom (no Viggo )should go here -----> http://www.bagendinn.com/castpics.htm
Legolas_GreenLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 11:41 AM   #28
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Sad. Sad. Sad. I just don't get it, why the academy doesn't like commercial movies. I know that many of these are trash, but TTT is definitely a nomination worth. Even the oscar.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #29
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

"commercial" movies? Sorry, not familiar with the term.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 12:24 PM   #30
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Maybe this term doesn't exist in the english language. In german we mean the opposite of "independent" if we talk of commercial.
You know if a production company makes a movie and the only purpose is to gain loads of money. And if the movie is successfull (if intended or not) it is commercial. Many people have seen it and it doesn't seem that the movie was made because it is a great story but to gain money. Do you understand what i mean?
Old 02-20-2003, 12:59 PM   #31
Legolas_GreenLeaf
Elven Warrior

I know what you mean.

All fans of Elijah, Orlando, Sean, Billy, and Dom (no Viggo )should go here -----> http://www.bagendinn.com/castpics.htm
Legolas_GreenLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 12:12 PM   #32
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Now the most interesting question is if TTT will get any oscars in the nominated categories.