Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-27-2004, 04:43 AM   #21
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I'm not sure about the living with Eru thing maybe they just stayed in the Halls of Mandos.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:00 AM   #22
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

so kind of like an everlasting retirmemnet homne. Man that would suck.It would be like being in the waiting room forever. Playing cards and reading out of date magazines, and watching bad tv and playing Bingo.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:18 AM   #23
Telcontar_Dunedain

You've changed your tune now.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-27-2004, 05:20 AM   #24
Haradrim

well yeah before they went to eru now they are stuck in the hall f MAndos. It would be great for awhile but then it would get insanely boring.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:22 AM   #25
Telcontar_Dunedain

I'll try and check it up for definite.

Old 08-27-2004, 05:26 AM   #26
Haradrim

where would that be so I can help check it out too.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:27 AM   #27
Telcontar_Dunedain

Not sure. I'll check out my Tolkien book later and then post the answer unless someone else knows.

Old 08-27-2004, 05:30 AM   #28
Haradrim

yeah everyone feel fre to help us figure this out. I dont have all the books so unless its in the Sil or LOTR or Hobbit or UT 1 then I cant do it.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:27 AM   #29
Telcontar_Dunedain

Haven't found it yet but I'll keep looking.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:47 AM   #30
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

From the Silmarillion, Houghton Mifflin edition, 1977.

Quote:
It is one with the gift of freedom that the children of Men dwell only a short space in the world alive, and are not bound to it, and depart soon whither the Elves know not. Whereas the Elves remain until the end of days, and their love of the earth and all the world is more single and more poignant therefore, and as the years lengthen ever more sorrowful. For the Elves die not until the world dies, unless they are slain or waste in grief (and to both these seeming deaths they are subject); neither does age subdue their strength, unless one grow weary of ten thousand centuries; and dying they are gathered to the halls of Mandos, in Valinor, whence in time they may return. But the sons of Men die indeed, and leave the world; wherefore they are called the Guests or the Strangers. Death is their fate, the Gift of Iluvatar, which as Time wears even the Powers shall envy.
Quote:
Immortal were the Elves, and their wisdom waxed from age to age, and no sickness nor pestilence brought death to them. Their bodies indeed were of the stuff of Earth, and could be destroyed; and in those days they were more like to the bodies of Men, since they had not so long been inhabited by the fire of their spirit, which consumes them from within in the courses of time. But Men were more frail, more easily slain by weapons or mischance, and less easily healed; subject to sickness and many ills; and they grew old and died. What may befall their spirits after death the Elves knew not. Some say that they too go to the halls of Mandos; but their place of waiting there is not that of the Elves, and Mandos under Iluvatar alone save Manwe know whither they go after the time of recollection in those silent halls beside the Outer Sea.

The fate of Men after death, maybe, is not in the hands of the Valar, nor was all foretold in the Music of the Ainur.
Quote:
The years of the Edain were lengthened, according to the reckoning of Men, after their coming to Beleriand; but at the last Beor the Old died when he had lived three and ninety years, for four and forty of which he had served King Felagund. And when he lay dead of no wound or grief, but stricken by age, the Eldar saw for the first time the swift waning of the life of Men, and the death of weariness which they knew not in themselves; and they grieved greatly for the loss of their friends. But Beor at the last had relinquished his life willingly and passed in peace; and the Eldar wondered much at the strange fate of Men, for in all their lore there was no account of it, and its end was hidden from them.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #31
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

From Morgoth's Ring, Ainulindale, Volume 10, The Histories of Middle-earth series.

Quote:
But Melkor has cast his shadow upon it, (death) and confounded it with darkness, and brought forth evil out of good, and fear out of hope. Yet it is said that they (Men) will join in the Second Music of the Ainur, whereas Iluvatar has not revealed what he purposes for Elves and Valar after the World's end, and Melkor has not discovered it.

Quote:
But the Elves can nonetheless suffer the severence of spirit from body, which is 'death'. Thus it may be said that the essential distinction between the (possible) death of Elves and the (inevitable) death of Men is a difference of destiny after death. From their beginnings the chief difference between Elves and Men lay in the fate and nature of their spirits. The fear of the Elves were destined to dwell in Arda for all the life of Arda and the death of the flesh did not abrogate that destiny.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 08-27-2004, 02:10 PM   #32
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Well, that certainly ought to settle it.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:35 PM   #33
Telcontar_Dunedain

Wow, thanks SGH I'm no longer confused.

Old 08-27-2004, 11:55 PM   #34
Haradrim

Nifty well that settles that. So Melkor made men fear death and cast shadow over it becasue he envied them in way. But after the second music will Eru still exist so will wherever men go exist after the second music?
Old 08-28-2004, 01:34 AM   #35
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
Nifty well that settles that. So Melkor made men fear death and cast shadow over it becasue he envied them in way. But after the second music will Eru still exist so will wherever men go exist after the second music?
Well, of course Eru will exist, he's God. There is no way to know what is supposed to happen. Only Eru, Mandos, and Manwe know. In the Athrabeth though, Finrod and Andreth speculate a great deal on their ideas of what may be in store for both Elves and Men in Arda Remade.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 08-28-2004, 06:05 AM   #36
Haradrim

But what happens to dwarves and orcs?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:42 AM   #37
Telcontar_Dunedain

I'm guessing that dwarves go to Aule their creator but I don't have a clue about orcs.

Old 08-29-2004, 08:05 PM   #38
Haradrim

Yeah maybe the Halls of AUle. I wonder if orcs go to mans heaven but lik eevil mans heaven or something
Old 09-08-2004, 10:30 PM   #39
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
Yeah maybe the Halls of AUle. I wonder if orcs go to mans heaven but lik eevil mans heaven or something
There is no such thing as the "Halls of Aule." There is only the halls of Mandos and since the Dwarves became accepted by Eru as his Children and one of the speaking races of Middle-earth, they too would go to the halls of Mandos after death.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-09-2004, 02:53 AM   #40
Beren3000
FĂ«anorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
they too would go to the halls of Mandos after death.
Doesn't it say somewhere in the appendices that dwarves had their own legends about their origin (which we know of) and their fate after death?
Doesn't that imply that they are destined to a different fate than the elves?
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote