Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2003, 04:53 PM   #21
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackboar
I've just read the Valaquenta. I'm going to make it through this!!

I know I'm going to love it!! (Once I understand it )
My brothers helping me as he loves LotR too
Yay! Another 'mooter like me!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 06:01 PM   #22
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Where are you now in the Sil, samwiselvr2008?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:22 PM   #23
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I'm eather in the middle of chapt. 8 or the begining of 9, but my teacher decided to give us at least 15 min. to read every day because we all told her that we wanted to have it, so I'll have more time to read it from now on! Thanks for asking!

FRODO LIVES!
Old 01-13-2003, 09:01 PM   #24
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, good for you! You're welcome Keep at it!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-14-2003, 07:02 PM   #25
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Yay! I should write a letter to everyone who is reading the Silm. for the first time. It should go like this.

Dear (enter your name here),

So you have decided to read the Silmarillion. You silly, silly person. Not only will you struggle over words, names, and places, but you will get hooked with a book that you will seriously want to start over the minute you've finished it. You are obviously very enamored with Tolkien's work, or you wouldn't have started in the first place. If this is true, then you will love the Silm. Graphic battles, betrayal, love, hate, war, peace...everything you need, along with backgrounds to all your very favorite LOtR characters. YAY! But it'll be hard. Don't say I didn't warn you. It took me WAY WAY WAY too many times starting over to get through the book. But I did get through it, and it was one of the best books I have ever read. So keep trying....and most importantly, have fun!

Good luck,
Ren

Okay...anyway, I had to do that. Seriously, great job, samwise. Keep reading! And when you read of Turin Turambar, soak up every single detail! It's my personal favorite chapter, but that's just silly little me! Have fun!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 10:20 PM   #26
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Am I the only person who read the silmarillion the whole way through in one sitting, the first time I picked it up?
Old 01-14-2003, 10:50 PM   #27
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Am I the only person who read the silmarillion the whole way through in one sitting, the first time I picked it up?
Probably. With the possible exception of Nolendil.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 10:57 PM   #28
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
I read it all the way through the first time I picked it up. It was easier the second time I read it. The third time was a breeze.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:06 PM   #29
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Ah, but I am always reading several books at a time, and for certain reasons the Sil keeps getting pushed down lower on my priority list. It's not that I don't love Tolkien, but I have other things I've been wanting to read longer, and I am now reading three books at a time. The Sil is a book I'd like to have the time to sit down and delve into without interruptions from other books (like I did with LOTR).
Old 01-15-2003, 12:02 AM   #30
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I couldn't read two books at the same time if I tried. A 300-700 page novel is generally worth a few hours.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 01-15-2003 at 12:04 AM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 03:57 PM   #31
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I'm trying to get through, I think that I read another chapter or 2, not sher. I'm just sorda confused.

Dose anyone remember what Galadriel's sister name was?

And this one had been bugging me, I must have missed a very mane and imprtant detail, WHO ARE THE NOLDOR????????

Okay, so I sound stupid, but that has been bugging me to death. Also, the Valor were ones elves, right? Well, I shouldn't say ONES, they still are, just held in a higher respect, and more wise, ect.?

FRODO LIVES!
Old 01-16-2003, 04:06 PM   #32
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
What I do when I read it is have a Tolkien encyclopedia next to me and look about every single word up!! Or I look in the back of the Silmarillion!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:16 PM   #33
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
I'm trying to get through, I think that I read another chapter or 2, not sher. I'm just sorda confused.

And this one had been bugging me, I must have missed a very mane and imprtant detail, WHO ARE THE NOLDOR????????

Okay, so I sound stupid, but that has been bugging me to death. Also, the Valor were ones elves, right? Well, I shouldn't say ONES, they still are, just held in a higher respect, and more wise, ect.?
The Noldor are one of the peoples of the elves, specifically one of the Eldar, who made the journey to Aman (land of the Valar). The Valar are not and never were elves, they're the Ainur (the lesser "gods" under Eru) who came to Middle Earth to help build it and care for it. The elves came later. It does help to flip to the back; I do it about every page I read! Well, not that much, but I do have to look back there to remember who's who! What chapter are you on?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:28 PM   #34
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I'll have to explore the back of the book then! Thanks for answering the questions, I'm a little up in the brain. It's one of those brain- washed days!

IT'S SNOWING!!!!!!!! REALLY HARD!

Okay, enoph with the snow, let's talk about The Sil. again!

Oh ya, and I am to lazy to go see what chapter I'm on, I'll check later!

FRODO LIVES!
Old 01-16-2003, 05:22 PM   #35
entss89
lord of the ents

[QUOTE]Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
[B]I'll have to explore the back of the book then! Thanks for answering the questions, I'm a little up in the brain.

SHES LIEING SHES NOT ONLY A LITTLE BIT CONFUSED!
HA HA

im a little hobbit short and stout
here is my ring evil without a doubt
when you get me hipped up
here me shout
get me to mordo as quick as you can..

if you like that song then you should visit www.lordoftherings.net!

the ents are coming
the ents are coming
watch out tower of orthanc
for your dark walls shall fall!
sauroman, sauroman
your name is not the white!
for now you are
sauroman of many colors!

a best frind does not stab u in the back...................
they stab u in the front.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:12 PM   #36
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
I don't know of any sisters that Galadriel had, but her brothers were Finrod (the one Sister Golden Hair likes so much ), Angrod, and Aegnor. The "North away" part of SGH's sig is said by Finrod to a human lady named Andreth. That quote is from a really beautiful story in Morgoth's Ring, which is book 10 of the History of Middle Earth (HoME) series. The story is called "Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth".

The family trees in the Sil will show Orodreth as another one of her brothers, but Christopher Tolkien, JRR's son, was the one who put out the Sil, and he made some changes for various reasons, and says in later works that Tolkien's final word on the subject was that Orodreth was Angrod's son, which would make him Galadriel's nephew. And that Gil-Galad was Orodreth's son, not Fingon's, as shown in the Sil. But you really don't need to worry about that at this point if you don't want to.

An interesting quote about Galadriel:
Quote:
From Unfinished Tales, "History of Galadriel and Celeborn"
Galadriel was the greatest of the Noldor, except Fëanor maybe, though she was wiser than he, and her wisdom increased with the long years.
ps - don't think I knew all that off the top off my head! I still have to check things - I usually can't remember whose son Orodreth ended up as - my poor brain gets confused sometimes and Angrod and Aegnor are pretty similar sounding names!

Last edited by Rían : 01-16-2003 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:25 PM   #37
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Perhaps you mean galadriel's daughter, Celebrian? She was Elrond's wife.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:32 PM   #38
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
I don't know of any sisters that Galadriel had, but her brothers were Finrod (the one Sister Golden Hair likes so much ), Angrod, and Aegnor. The "North away" part of SGH's sig is said by Finrod to a human lady named Andreth. That quote is from a really beautiful story in Morgoth's Ring, which is book 10 of the History of Middle Earth (HoME) series. The story is called "Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth".

The family trees in the Sil will show Orodreth as another one of her brothers, but Christopher Tolkien, JRR's son, was the one who put out the Sil, and he made some changes for various reasons, and says in later works that Tolkien's final word on the subject was that Orodreth was Angrod's son, which would make him Galadriel's nephew. And that Gil-Galad was Orodreth's son, not Fingon's, as shown in the Sil. But you really don't need to worry about that at this point if you don't want to.

An interesting quote about Galadriel:

ps - don't think I knew all that off the top off my head! I still have to check things - I usually can't remember whose son Orodreth ended up as - my poor brain gets confused sometimes and Angrod and Aegnor are pretty similar sounding names!
Her brother was probally who I was thinking of. I am sooo brainwashed today, you should have seen me trying to study for a science and vocabullary test today! It will come to know surprise to you that I felled both tests/ quizes. I think that I was to cout up in a book that I was reading, not Sil., a diffrent one.

I can't stay on subject! Stupid brainwashed head!!!!!

FRODO LIVES!
Old 01-19-2003, 05:37 PM   #39
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Strider

Keep going Samwiselvr2008 your almost... on the 5 chapter??

Keep going I'll support you

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:20 PM   #40
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

keep on reading Samwiselvr2008! You can finish the book! I still have to start it though. I'm probably going to keep a pencel and paper with me while I'm reading because every one says that it is really conusing.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote