Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2000, 12:25 PM   #1
Eruve

Wild Tech Support Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taken from an article in this morning's Montreal Gazette... Of course, they didn't put this one on their web site, so I have to type in the highlights.

*"How come my coffee-holder's not working?" Luckily there's a short answer to this one: Honey that's no coffee holder; it's a CD-ROM caddy.

*"Where's the 'any' button?" is another frequently asked question. This comes form computer users stumped by the command, "Press any button."

*A woman phones to complain her pedal isn't working. Turns out the caller-- more experienced on a sewing machine than on a computer-- has put her mouse on the floor and is attempting to operate it with her foot.

*A caller who's been instructed to "use the mouse to move the cursor," doesn't understand why nothing's happening. After all, he's holding the mouse up so that it touches the display screen.

*Then there's the gentleman who's asked by the operator whether his computer can "see" his printer-- a common technical term used to verify that a terminal and printer are properly hooked up. "Of course, I just turned the terminal so it could face the printer," the exasperated caller replies.

*An office worker phoned a help line complaining that the print on her document was so pale it was impossible to read. As the technician prepared to go through the troubleshooting steps, the customer suddenly realized she was looking on the wrong side of the paper-- the printing was on the other side.

*An elderly customer calls to say his computer's not working, there's nothing on the screen. The technician asks him to check that the plugs are properly connected. "I can't," says the man. "The room is dark--I didin't tell you there's a blackout."

*A customer was asked by the operator to click on some boxes. The customer said there were no boxes. It turned out that the customer had set the colours so that the background and the foregroung were indistinguishable.

Now I don't feel like such a technical moron...