Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-09-2003, 12:08 PM   #21
straight_face
Enting

Treebeard and the Ents

I wasn't as dissatisfied with the Ents as much as I was Theoden, though I already had my own concept of what the Ents might have looked like.
Tolkien's description states that Treebeard was "Manlike, almost a Troll-like figure, at least fourteen feet high, very sturdy, with a tall head, nad hardly any neck. Whether it was clad in stuff like green and grey bark, or whether that was its hide, was difficult to say. At any rate the arms, a short distance from the trunk, were not wrinkled, but covered with a brown smoother skin. The large feet had seven toes each. The lower part of the long face was covered with a sweeping grey beard, bushy, almost twiggy at the roots, thing and mossy at the ends."
Indeed the picture of the Ents in my mind were more Man-like, tall, yes, but not to the extent in which you can walk up to a giant tree, imagine it sprouting arms and legs and call it an Ent. What did you think the Ents would look like?
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:48 PM   #22
Iboen
Hobbit

Strider Treebeard

When i was watching te second film, i found it soooooooooooooooo frustrating when Treebeard was telling Merry & Pippin that they should just take the 'safe way' and he would'nt listen to them.
Iboen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:57 PM   #23
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I thought they looked more like the book description. However, I ignored the part where they were supposed to be really tall. I always thought of them as about ten-feet tall. So I'm bad at following descriptions sometimes.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:55 PM   #24
straight_face
Enting

^^*^^

I heard somebody say they're knees weren't supposed to bend...
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:01 PM   #25
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Personally, I found them to be good. Maybe not to the letter according to the text, but they were at least believable. Somethings work in the book that would not necessarily work visually. I think that perhaps the ents are one of these.

There is a line between serious fantasy and then childlike Harry Potter type fantasy, and I think he had to be careful not to cross it.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:26 PM   #26
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

i think they're well rendered to the screen (physisically), but they have failed in Treebeard's character and his relation with the hobbits. there's little sense of humor in their scenes, when the book ones are often very funny.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #27
azalea
Long lost mooter

Once again I've merged the new thread started about ents with this existing one. Carry on.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 05:20 PM   #28
Heather Wooltoes
Elven Warrior

there is an article over at theonering.net with extended dvd info. It seems we WILL be getting more character development and ents. Just thought I'd mention this.

Don't p*** me off.....I'm running out of places to hide the bodies!
Heather Wooltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 05:44 PM   #29
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Treebeard

Good, good, good! The ent business was way too hasty!